Stay Safe Everyone!

danfrank
Assistant

Re: Stay Safe Everyone!

Post by danfrank »

mlrg wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:17 am Massive earthquake in Morocco yesterday evening, local time.

I arrived yesterday morning from a short brake in Marrakesh, the epicentre.

My heart goes to everyone in Morocco.
A few years back I did some trekking in the Atlas Mountains southwest of Marrakesh, right around where the epicenter appears to be. I’m thinking about and am worried about the people I encountered there, including a woman who cooked and served the best meal we had in Morocco. It’s just horrible.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Massive earthquake in Morocco yesterday evening, local time.

I arrived yesterday morning from a short brake in Marrakesh, the epicentre.

My heart goes to everyone in Morocco.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
Sabin, I hope everything is OK with you regarding Tropical Storm Hilary.
Hanging in there. It's not too bad. Just rain. We just got an earthquake alert but nobody I knew felt it to any real degree.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin, I hope everything is OK with you regarding Tropical Storm Hilary.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, Nicole did become a hurricane; but, I was fine and did not lose electricity at all. There was, however, a lot of damage on the beach of the county where I live. That is because the big damage done by Nicole was not from wind or rain, but, from storm surge and beach erosion. There was a lot of foundation damage done to many buildings along the beach with some buildings even collapsing.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

And Florida now has Tropical Storm Nicole. It will not be as bad as Hurricane Ian and will mostly, except for a lot of storm surge on the beaches, be a rain event. I just hope this time I will not lose electricity at all.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

My mom and I each got the latest booster a couple of weeks ago. My brother and his wife got it the week before. So far we've all managed to avoid getting covid and hopefully our luck continues to hold.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote: but, the vaccination rate has been low, often a result of people not being aware of the most-recent boosters.
I read a Washington Post article that said less than 5% in the U.S. have gotten their boosters. (I got mine a week ago.) Some people aren't aware, but others have "reasons", and I can't deny some of them - a few - are compelling. (If you've already had Omicron in the past few months, then I suppose you don't need the booster at all?) But even accounting for all of that, 5% is pretty disgraceful, and Biden saying "The pandemic is over" certainly doesn't help. So yeah, if you are able to get the booster, then try to do so.

BTW, my daughter was sick for only a few days and recovered quickly. Her sense of taste returned after 48 hours. I didn't catch it at all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I got mine on 9/29, but I haven't been able to convince anyone to get the shot who hadn't already planned to get theirs. Very frustrating.

I got the bivalent booster in one arm and the senior flu vaccine in the other.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

A month or so ago, I got the bivalent COVID booster, shortly after the bivalent boosters received approval. This is in addition to the original vaccines and boosters and has been demonstrated to provide strong protection against the new COVID mutations; but, the vaccination rate has been low, often a result of people not being aware of the most-recent boosters. So, if you have not got a bivalent booster, you may be eligible, depending on the timing of your original vaccine/booster injections.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
I live in eastern Florida near the Atlantic Ocean. There was a problem where then tropical storm Ian, as the hurricane reduced in intensity after it traveled over the Florida peninsula, stalled over Cape Kennedy and then reformed into a hurricane. My area was in the western eyewall. I got power restored yesterday after it being off for 2 1/2 days. Other than that, I was fine. This is the first I know of a storm becoming a hurricane twice.
Stay safe, Greg!
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Stay safe, Gregg!!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Glad you're OK, Greg.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I live in eastern Florida near the Atlantic Ocean. There was a problem where then tropical storm Ian, as the hurricane reduced in intensity after it traveled over the Florida peninsula, stalled over Cape Kennedy and then reformed into a hurricane. My area was in the western eyewall. I got power restored yesterday after it being off for 2 1/2 days. Other than that, I was fine. This is the first I know of a storm becoming a hurricane twice.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I know a lot of people, family, friends and coworkers that had covid/omicron during the last couple of weeks or that positive right now and thankfully the symptoms are like a very mild cold.

Hopefully we’re a few months away if the end of this.

Return to “General Off-Topic”