Site Admin

Re: Stay Safe Everyone!

Post by Big Magilla »

Sounds like you're on the right track.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Greg wrote:The doctor said I had a minor heart attack, but, fortunately it was minor enough that there was no meaningful damage to my heart. After this, the doctor said that I was doing well in my followup exam and I have been feeling fine.
So, since then, I have had four (I think) checkups with my primary doctor, a second checkup with my cardiologist, a set of blood tests, and a second set of blood tests with urine tests. The results have been very good. My blood-pressure results have all been good (generally something like 117/72); I am neither diabetic nor pre-diabetic; and, my primary doctor said my cholesterol numbers are better than hers. Out of the four medications I had been taking daily, my cardiologist told me to stop taking clopidogrel (blood thinning) and has put me on half dosages of metoprolol (blood pressure) and atorvastatin (anti-cholesterol). He said I would probably stop the metoprolol in a year. I will probably continue to take low-dose (81 mg) aspirin for an indefinite period of time.

The one thing I wish to change is to lose some weight. My main source of exercise is walking, which I enjoy greatly. Now that it has cooled down at least a little here in Florida, I am seriously trying to find the time for half-hour-evening-power walks five times a week.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Greg, I'm so sorry to hear. When it rains, it pours. Hopefully, there will be some less rainy days ahead, if not some sunshine!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Thinking of you, Greg. Wishing you safety and good health.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Take care and stay safe Gregg.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

All the best Greg. You have really been through the trenches. Take care.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I'm sorry to hear about all you've been through, Greg. As a heart attack survivor (also fairly minor) with two stents of my own, I can only encourage you to use this as an opportunity to make a strong commitment to taking good care of yourself. I hope you have access to good follow-up care. I was lucky enough to have a world-class cardiologist (a former president of the American College of Cardiology), and he said that if you do nothing else, take that daily low-dose aspirin. Diet, exercise, and stress management also play an important role. Best of luck to you. And, my condolences for the loss of your father.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Wow, Greg. Take care of yourself!
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I live in Florida, but, about 200-300 miles north of The Keys/Miami area which really got hit; so, apart from losing electricity for 5 days, my area was spared.

I am glad I at least got this, as the whole time of August/early September was quite Hellish for me. First, my Father passed away at 80 years of age. He lived a good life, but, his death came quite sudden.

Then, in the midst of planning his memorial, I felt chest pains and went to the emergency room. It turns out I had a blocked coronary artery and had two stents placed in it. The doctor said I had a minor heart attack, but, fortunately it was minor enough that there was no meaningful damage to my heart. After this, the doctor said that I was doing well in my followup exam and I have been feeling fine. I did, however, have to deal with my Father still being in the morgue of the same hospital as I was having my operation, quite a morbidly emotional experience.

Then came Irma, which, as I said, was at least minor for my area. Finally, I am now getting to a normal life.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Irma's not going anywhere near me, but my nerves are stretched to the breaking point over this. I can only imagine what Floridians are going through, with this huge thing looming over them for the past 10 days-plus. Is this what living through the Cuban Missile Crisis was like?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Yeah, I have close friends in Fort Lauderdale and they're terrified. They're getting out but are afraid of losing everything they have, including both property and community. This one looks to be a monster. I can only hope that it veers off course and/or slows down. Of course that won't help the Caribbean islands that have already been hit.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Okri wrote:Okay, I have no idea if any of you are in Florida (or were in Texas/Louisiana) but if you are in any area that could be impacted, stay safe.
I can't think of anyone here who lives in Florida, but if anyone is there, I'm wishing you all the best.
I can think of several.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okri wrote:Okay, I have no idea if any of you are in Florida (or were in Texas/Louisiana) but if you are in any area that could be impacted, stay safe.
Oh, hell yeah.

As long as the storm doesn't drift up the Atlantic and return, I'll probably be fine. But this looks terrifying, and I'm not sure this country is able to handle both this and the Houston storm. And not necessarily because we have this oaf for president. I'm not sure any president will be able to handle the devastation that's about to come so soon after the devastation that's already happened. I can't imagine we have the resources.

I know someone who lives in a house in central Florida that's mostly wood. She and her family managed to reserve a room in hotel that's far safer structurally. They'll be fine. Their home? Who knows? My late dad's wife keeps a winter home on the west coast of Florida. She won't be there, but the property may be vulnerable. We don't even know yet which part of Florida the storm is going to hit, although the entire state will be affected in some way.

I can't think of anyone here who lives in Florida, but if anyone is there, I'm wishing you all the best.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Stay Safe Everyone!

Post by Okri »

Okay, I have no idea if any of you are in Florida (or were in Texas/Louisiana) but if you are in any area that could be impacted, stay safe.

Return to “General Off-Topic”