R.I.P. Village Voice

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Village Voice

Post by Sonic Youth »

Today was the day they were supposed to negotiate with the unions. Instead, they folded the paper. Nice.

In college, I'd look over the table of contents and buy a copy if anything appealed to me. That would be every 3-4 weeks, so you could say I was a regular irregular reader. It's how Wayne Barrett, Jules Feiffer, J. Hoberman, Dennis Lim, Robert Christgau, Amy Taubin, James Ridgeway, Michael Tomasky and Michael Musto became familiar names to me. Nat Hentoff died earlier this year; Wayne Barrett followed a few short weeks later. If the New York Times is the "Gray Old Lady", the Voice was its long ailing rebellious kid sister, and a shadow of what it once was. Very sad.

I've only subscribed to two papers in my life, the New York Times and the Christian Science Monitor. The latter ended its print edition years ago, and by then I let my subscription lapse long before. The Times is chugging along, but I only subscribe to its digital edition. I guess I'm part of the problem, too. (BTW, I went to school in mid-state New York. You had to pay for the Voice, whether it was free in NYC or not.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think I read elsewhere that they went free print in 1996.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Quote from the article: "The publication, which was once considered an important voice and platform, has long been distributed for free around New York City."

I had no idea! 
Yeah, for a long time, now. Maybe since the 90s?

The weird thing is, I picked it up far more frequently when it cost money than I ever did when it was free.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Quote from the article: "The publication, which was once considered an important voice and platform, has long been distributed for free around New York City."

I had no idea! 
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Village Voice

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, the print edition, anyway.

Honestly, I'm part of the problem, as I haven't read it in years. But from my high school years onward, it was a vital part of the city and seeing life through a lens beyond the major networks.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/e ... nt-1031578

Return to “General Off-Topic”