Christmas 2015

flipp525
Laureate

Re: Christmas 2015

Post by flipp525 »

mlrg wrote:
Greg wrote:So, I heard an ad that started with someone worried he had missed a holiday sale and he talked about how busy he was eating fruitcake and attending ugly sweater parties. Curious, I Googled "ugly sweater party" and found it is a thing where during the holiday season people attend parties where everyone wears ugly sweaters. Has anyone heard about this?
I saw an episode of the american Shark Tank were one of the businesses presented was a company dedicated exclusively to produce ugly christmas sweaters. Apparently they reached 12 million USD in revenue in 2014 only by producing this sweaters...
I actually bought one of their ugly sweaters because I had to attend THREE just last year (the company, IIRC, was called Naughty Elves or something). I ended up winning the contest for ugliest sweater at two of them including my work party so it was kind of a hit. The sweater had these big yellow pom-poms on it that really ratcheted up the ugly factor.

Greg, don't feel left out. I'm sure you can find one to attend next year!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

This is the most I've felt like a social outcast since high school. :wink:
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greg wrote:So, I heard an ad that started with someone worried he had missed a holiday sale and he talked about how busy he was eating fruitcake and attending ugly sweater parties. Curious, I Googled "ugly sweater party" and found it is a thing where during the holiday season people attend parties where everyone wears ugly sweaters. Has anyone heard about this?
You've seriously never heard or been to an ugly sweater party? They're probably at least ten years old at this point (and are actually rather passé now). The new "it" holiday parties are "re-gifting" parties.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Dude, ugly Christmas sweater parties are some of the laziest themed parties ever, but I've never been to one that sucked.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I saw an episode of the american Shark Tank were one of the businesses presented was a company dedicated exclusively to produce ugly christmas sweaters. Apparently they reached 12 million USD in revenue in 2014 only by producing this sweaters...
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, I heard an ad that started with someone worried he had missed a holiday sale and he talked about how busy he was eating fruitcake and attending ugly sweater parties. Curious, I Googled "ugly sweater party" and found it is a thing where during the holiday season people attend parties where everyone wears ugly sweaters. Has anyone heard about this?
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Happy New Year to everyone!
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

After unseasonably warm temperatures all week, we're now spending Christmas under flood warnings. Water is ankle-deep in my parent's backyard.

But I've been spending the day with the people I care about, and that's all I can ask for on Christmas.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

"Feliz Natal" and happy Black Friday :P
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Buon Natale a tutti voi!
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

For more than 9 years now, I’ve practically been living Haneke’s Amour (minus its Rive Gauche chic).Being in charge of two invalid octogenarian parents takes its toll on one’s life, so I hardly see movies any more. But – it’s Oscar season and I do have my evaluating-the-nominees chore to look for, so I decided to go to a preview screening of Room today. I booked the tickets in advance, I looked for another film to see while I’m in Tel Aviv, and over all was very pleased with my planed outing in the big city. Alas, since for us here this is just another run of the mill Friday, I totally forgot that my mother’s Indian caregiver happened to be a Christian and she has a day off today, going to Jerusalem on a pilgrim tour. So here I am at home, writing to you, while my niece and a friend of hers are watching next year Best Actress winner.

Merry Christmas to you all.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Happy Holidays and the very best for all of you during 2016.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays, a prosperous New Year, and that not too much fighting will break out here should Mad Max win Best Picture.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Merry Christmas everyone. May all your 2015 Oscar wishes come true.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Very best to all, and wishes for a 2016 overflowing with positive news.

Return to “General Off-Topic”