Missing in Action - Films still not released on DVD/Blu Ray

mrhoyer
Graduate

Re: Missing in Action - Films still not released on DVD/Blu Ray

Post by mrhoyer »

Precious Doll wrote:[

The Bertrand Tavernier film is being release in the U.S. soon through Kino on DVD & Blu Ray.

Incredible news. Thanks!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza,

That site is amazing. Thank you again for the links you sent me. Not only have a caught up on the Oscar nominated films I have never been able to track down (including Paw, Course Completed, Double Feature, Sandakan No. 8, The Little Ark & Half a House) I've also seen a number of other films that I've wanted to see for years that have never shown up. :D :D :D :D :D
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mrhoyer wrote:So thrilled to see Dark At the Top of the Stairs posted sneakily online here.

I've been hunting for:

Dark Eyes (Oci ciornie) from 1987 with Marcello Mastroianni

and

A Sunday In the Country from 1984 by Bertrand Travernier

If anyone has any leads.
Check your message box.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mrhoyer wrote:So thrilled to see Dark At the Top of the Stairs posted sneakily online here.

I've been hunting for:

and

If anyone has any leads.
The Bertrand Tavernier film is being release in the U.S. soon through Kino on DVD & Blu Ray.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mrhoyer
Graduate

Post by mrhoyer »

So thrilled to see Dark At the Top of the Stairs posted sneakily online here.

I've been hunting for:

and

If anyone has any leads.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Movie Detective has a superb new DVD release of Compartiment tuers AKA The Sleeping Car Murder from a 2016 restoration with new easy-to-read large English subtitles. At first, I thought the film had no subtitles, but then I hit Subtitles on my remote and voila!

If anything I enjoyed it more now than I did when I first saw it fifty years ago. Costa-Gavras' first film is a great action-filled murder mystery with plenty of comedy to spare. Catherine Allégret gets top billing as the woman in danger, and she's fine, but there are even better performances from her mother Simone Signoret as a fading actress, her stepfather Yves Montand as the lead detective on the case, Jean-Louis Trignant as Signoret's young lover and Jacques Perrin as Allégret's goofy but resourceful boyfriend.
Really happy about that release and can't wait to see it. I usually wait until they have at least 3 films I want before I place an order with them so here's hoping some other titles become available real soon.
Mateo
Graduate

Post by Mateo »

Big Magilla wrote:Also still missing:

The Dark at the Top of the Stairs - Inge estate reportedly wants too much money
For what it's worth, I recently found The Dark at the Top of the Stairs on-line:

https://ok.ru/video/83555912258

Exciting to finally see it. Definitely added Angela Lansbury to my list of Best Supporting Actress nominees for that year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Movie Detective has a superb new DVD release of Compartiment tuers AKA The Sleeping Car Murder from a 2016 restoration with new easy-to-read large English subtitles. At first, I thought the film had no subtitles, but then I hit Subtitles on my remote and voila!

If anything I enjoyed it more now than I did when I first saw it fifty years ago. Costa-Gavras' first film is a great action-filled murder mystery with plenty of comedy to spare. Catherine Allégret gets top billing as the woman in danger, and she's fine, but there are even better performances from her mother Simone Signoret as a fading actress, her stepfather Yves Montand as the lead detective on the case, Jean-Louis Trignant as Signoret's young lover and Jacques Perrin as Allégret's goofy but resourceful boyfriend.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Watched it just once. Box cover doesn't say, but I do believe it's 4x3.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Never released this was released. What is the quality like. Is it 4x3 or widescreen.

I assume it was released by Reel which is a subsidiary of Village Roadshow who is the early days of DVD released a lot of New Line back catalogue stuff that to my understanding were 4x3 ratios taken from video masters. Some others they released were This Boys Life (which as since been released by another company on Blu Ray in the correct ratio with a gorgeous transfer) & Cronenberg's Crash.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I have an Australian DVD of Reckless (1995) from DaaVeeDee, but it's probably been discontinued and is now out of stock.

http://www.daaveedee.com/product_info.p ... _id=103311
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mlrg wrote:Although I didn't have the time to see them yet, I have digital copies (file format) of The Last Summer and Tribute and also Diary of a Mad Housewife, which I have seen. The Last Summer copy is not amazing (image quality wise) but it's very much watchable.

These are part of my challenge to have the 1150+ films nominated for best picture and acting categories since the first ceremony.

I have around 1050 of them in file format. All of them since 1956 and from the 50's I'm only missing The Bold and the Brave, Trial and Come Fill the Cup.
Trial is on DVD-R via Warners Archives (Region Free)

The Bold and the Brave is on DVD via Studiocanal in the UK

Come Fill the Cup hasn't appeared to have shown up anywhere. I either saw it at a reparatory cinema or on cable TV years ago.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Original BJ wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
Greg wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw The Devils on TCM, or some movie TV channel, years ago.
Probably the much censored US version. The complete version which wasn't shown anywhere in the world on it's first release and has only gotten a couple of screenings about 10 years ago in the UK that include the 'rape of christ' scene, it what needs to be shown.
The Devils is now available to watch on a horror movie streaming site called Shudder. Press articles say it's the original, unrated version, not the edited-down U.S. version, although when a movie has gone through as many cuts as this one, it's hard to know what constitutes as the "original" cut.
Chances are it's the US cut version. I'm something of a 'Ken Russell's The Devils' fanatic and have just finally got around to reading Richard Crouse's book on the making of The Devils and all the problems it has faced since titled 'Raising Hell Ken Russell and the Unmaking of The Devils, published in 2012. The books didn't actually tell me anything I didn't already know but lays out it all out in a systematic and concise manner.

To put it in simple terms the history of the various versions of The Devils is as follows:

After filming and then post production were completed Russell presented his finished version to the head of the British Censor Office who though he admired the film and recognised it artistic qualities demanded that several scenes be removed or shortened. Essentially he knew other members of the censorship board were going to have problems with the material. Out went the famous 'rape of Christ' sequence, out when the scene with Sister Jeanne (Vanessa Redgrave) masturbating with a charred bone of the executed Father Grandier (Oliver Reed), out went the shit on the alter which was a result of the exorcism performed on Sister Jeanne in the convent chapel and shorted was the torture of Father Grandier.

The shorten version was what played in the UK, Europe and Australia.

The US was a different matter. The executives from Warners sat down to watch the film and a very overworked stenographer made notes all the way through the screening that Russell and his editor Michael Bradsell ended up walking out of because that sensed things were going to end badly.

I'm not sure what version of the film Warners saw. The UK version or Russell original. Either way the US version was cut even further.

Home video versions that became available in the 1980's is when things started getting murky with different versions all over the place.

Fast forward to around 2004 and British film critics Mark Kermonde, after a lot of hard work and persistence was able to locate some of the footage cut from Russell's original cut. Channel 4 in the UK were somehow allowed to show The Devils with the 'rape of Christ' scene reinstated into the film (editor Michael Bradsell had to make some changes to the version shown in the UK first release as scenes crossed over to other characters i.e. Oliver Reed & Gemma Jones). I'm not sure if Vanessa pleasuring herself was added back in but it was featured in a documentary 'Hell on Earth' about the making of The Devils. To my knowledge the shit on the alter and extended scenes of Oliver Reed's torture have not been found.

This Channel 4 screening is where some of the bootleg copies that contact the 'rape of Christ' scene originate from.

In 2012 Warners allowed the BFI to release The Devils on DVD only. This version is the version shown outside much of the US in 1971. Warners would not allow a Blu Ray release nor would they allow the found footage to be included in the special features of the extras on the BFI DVD.

I have heard of numerous screenings in recent years in the US that claim to be the 'original uncut version' only to turn out to be the version released in the US in 1971. Warners really appear to still be embarrassed and scared by the film after all these years and the feeling is they don't want to upset the 'conservative' elements within the US. I'd be really surprised if the streaming site Shudder is showing even the UK version of the film. If they are they may be doing it without the permission of Warners.

The BFI rights to The Devils is due to expire soon so hopefully Warners will get over their 'issues' with the film and unleash the fullest version that has been pieced together onto the world. It's 46 years old for goodness sake. The 'rape of Christ' sequence is strong stuff even by todays standard but it is an essential part of the film. I'm pretty sure it can be found on YouTube.

Warners have the most complete version of the film in their vaults. It has been restored. It is just waiting for the green light.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote: I was reading something about music rights and screenings a couple of months ago which stated that the music rights would have for the most part been negotiated at the same time as the cinema rights. However, as DVD/Blu Ray are newer media formats, that is preventing a number of films from being released though some of them screen regularly on TV networks.
That is correct. There have been instances of films being released on DVD with different music than appeared in the theatrical release because they couldn't secure the proper releases. I read somewhere years ago that the holdup on Goodbar had something to do with Boz Scaggs' "Lowdown".
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Precious Doll wrote:
Greg wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw The Devils on TCM, or some movie TV channel, years ago.
Probably the much censored US version. The complete version which wasn't shown anywhere in the world on it's first release and has only gotten a couple of screenings about 10 years ago in the UK that include the 'rape of christ' scene, it what needs to be shown.
The Devils is now available to watch on a horror movie streaming site called Shudder. Press articles say it's the original, unrated version, not the edited-down U.S. version, although when a movie has gone through as many cuts as this one, it's hard to know what constitutes as the "original" cut.

Return to “DVD Discussions”