Coming DVDs

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 am

I picked up most of these titles here for about $1.75 each.

criddic3
Tenured

Postby criddic3 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:42 am

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The character as written may have been more historically accurate but Reza is correct, Brando's mincing fop characterization is what is insufferable. If you really want accuracy, though, go to the 1984 version called simply The Bounty with Mel Gibson as Christian and Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh.

Talk about insufferable: A movie featuring the Wooden Anti-Semite With The Stubby Little Legs as Christian and the World's Worst Actor as Bligh.

I've seen this version as well. It is not nearly as good as the first two. The first was a rousing adventure, while the second was a nicely-photographed epic drama. Both had some wonderful production values, but the third version just never gets you involved. The only review I can recall that was truly positive was Roger Ebert's.

However, I take exception to the idea that Anthony Hopkins is the "world's worst actor." He has been absolutely amazing in some of his performances, from Hannibal Lecter to Presidents Nixon and Adams, and his repressed butler in The Remains of the Day.
"If you can't stand the nut on the left and you can't stand the nut on the right, go for the Johnson,” Jonathan S. Bush (10/21/2016)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:48 pm

Caught! LMAO!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Big Magilla wrote:Hopkins' Blight

Hilarious Freudian slip, Big!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:01 pm

I didn't say it had great acting in it, only that it was more historically accurate. Hopkins' Blight is rather bland next to Howard's and the great Laughton's portrayals, but it is a more balanced portrayal. Mel in his early career reminded me of a young Errol Flynn with Tim, Gallipoli and The Bounty providing the best indications of a promising career.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:02 am

Big Magilla wrote:The character as written may have been more historically accurate but Reza is correct, Brando's mincing fop characterization is what is insufferable. If you really want accuracy, though, go to the 1984 version called simply The Bounty with Mel Gibson as Christian and Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh.

Talk about insufferable: A movie featuring the Wooden Anti-Semite With The Stubby Little Legs as Christian and the World's Worst Actor as Bligh.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:13 am

The character as written may have been more historically accurate but Reza is correct, Brando's mincing fop characterization is what is insufferable. If you really want accuracy, though, go to the 1984 version called simply The Bounty with Mel Gibson as Christian and Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh.

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:52 am

criddic3 wrote:
but is spoiled by Brando's insufferable performance.

Actually, a history professor once told me that Brando's performance is much more accurate of the type of person Christian would have been in those times than the Gable version. I don't remember having a problem with his acting in the movie, but I haven't seen the movie in a very long time.

Actually there was no problem at all with Brando's performance. It's just that Brando chose to play the part as a mincing fop! I think Magilla found that aspect ''insufferable''. The acting style clashed with Gable's interpretation in the 1935 version.

criddic3
Tenured

Postby criddic3 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:13 am

but is spoiled by Brando's insufferable performance.

Actually, a history professor once told me that Brando's performance is much more accurate of the type of person Christian would have been in those times than the Gable version. I don't remember having a problem with his acting in the movie, but I haven't seen the movie in a very long time.
"If you can't stand the nut on the left and you can't stand the nut on the right, go for the Johnson,” Jonathan S. Bush (10/21/2016)

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:51 am

Big Magilla wrote:Mutiny on the Bounty has a good performance by Trevor Howard as Captain Bligh and some gorgeous photography but is spoiled by Brando's insufferable performance.

Shades of Johnny Depp's performance in the Pirates franchise!

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:44 am

There are good and bad in all three of collections. Harper, The Left-Handed Gun, Somebody Up There Likes Me and The Young Philadelphians are the good in the Newman collection, but I'd rather have Rachel, Rachel and The Glass Menagerie which he directed than The Mckintosh Man or The Drowning Pool. I'd even take The Silver Chalice over The Mackintosh Man.

Pickings are slim in the Cooper collection. I'd rather have The Hanging Tree, which Warners owns, than Springfield Rifle or Dallas.

The Brando collection really scrapes the bottom of the barrel. Julius Caesar is good, though James Mason and John Gielgud easily outclass Brando and Mutiny on the Bounty has a good performance by Trevor Howard as Captain Bligh and some gorgeous photographny but is spoiled by Brando's insufferable performance. I've never gotten the love for The Teahouse of the August Moon and The Formula is total crap. Reflections in a Golden Eye should be a camp classic. There's no way you can watch this thing with a straight face from both Brando and Liz Taylor lusting after a naked Robert Forster to Julie Harris cutting off her nipples to spite hubby Brian Keith. Maybe if Montgomery Clift had played the part Brando took over after his death it might have turned out differently, but Brando and Taylor make such an odd couple you can't take them seriously.

criddic3
Tenured

Postby criddic3 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:18 am

The Brando collection sounds intruiging. Julius Caesar is terrific and I may be one of the few people who actually liked his version of Mutiny on the Bounty, though it did receive a Best Picture nomination. Never got to see Reflections in a Golden Eye.

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:20 pm

Big Magilla wrote:I doubt that the missing footage contains any of the special effects stuff that the film is already filled with.

I don't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that the new footage added back into the film will have around 230 visual effects shots.

criddic3
Tenured

Postby criddic3 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:26 pm

That makes sense. At least Second Chorus has the music of Artie Shaw.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:29 am

Second Chorus is in the public domain. TV stations don't have to pay to broadcast it.

Return to “DVD Discussions”