Coming DVDs

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Coming DVDs

Post by dws1982 »

Turns out it may be the Garage Door Opener that needs replacing and not the door. Hopefully not both--I don't need that kind of expense in one month. We're going to try to troubleshoot this weekend and figure out where the actual problem is. Both are on the older side so they will probably need replacing sooner rather than later. Hopefully one will at least last a couple more years until I get my NBCT raise!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:Criterion had their sale yesterday. I bought a few titles, because of course I did, and I'll get a few in the November Barnes & Noble sale, but November is going to be expensive too (I think I'm going to have to buy a new garage door), so I won't go too crazy like I have some years.
Don't put off that garage door.

When I bought my current house in 2011, the then 10-year-old house came with a two-car garage door powered by a mechanism for a one-car door which put a strain on it every time the automatic garage door opener was used. It was something I knew I had to replace, but it wasn't my top priority. Then one day, a neighbor accompanied me to the Home Depot to buy something for another project. He didn't like air conditioning, so we drove with the windows open on a hot day.

The previous owner was a short deaf man in his mid-90s, who because of his height and his inability to hear, had a long string attached to the overhead mechanism in case he had to manually open and close the door in a power outage. I had left it there.

After my neighbor got out of the car and walked outside I closed my car windows before exiting the car. When I did the string got caught in the driver's side window and caused the garage door to close. However, it didn't just close, it slammed shut in a nanosecond. Had my neighbor been passing through the entrance at that moment he would have been killed. Needless to say, I had it replaced immediately.

I was reminded of that incident the other day when I watched new neighbors across the street having their garage door replaced, probably for the same reason. Other neighbors have had the same problem, but no one that I know of has had as dramatic an incident to prompt them to take action. I hope no one does.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:And Criterion will have their twice-yearly 50% sale either tomorrow or next Tuesday.
I only buy Criterion during their flash sales. And whenever I spend enough to get the gift certificate.

In related news, I just got the certificate.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Criterion had their sale yesterday. I bought a few titles, because of course I did, and I'll get a few in the November Barnes & Noble sale, but November is going to be expensive too (I think I'm going to have to buy a new garage door), so I won't go too crazy like I have some years.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Kino has a good one too right now. It's billed as a Shocktober sale, but it's not limited to horror or thriller titles. And Criterion will have their twice-yearly 50% sale either tomorrow or next Tuesday.

It's been an expensive October, so I may skip these altogether (although I may get a thing or two from Criterion), but there are some really good deals.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Arrow Films seems to be having a really good sale.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Their May/June edition of Film Comment was digital only and I didn't even bother looking at it. I have not been happy with a number of the changes that Nicolas Rapold (recently appointed editor) has made so I'm going to stop buying the magazine. I'll email them to let them know not to bother sending my any further editions and I'm happy for them to keep my subscription money has the magazine has given me so much pleasure for over 40 years. With the decline in the magazine itself and the blurring of cinema and streaming compounded by COVID it is a perfect time to cut some strings I think.
Since the subscription is already paid why ask them to stop sending you the magazine? Why not just let the subscription run through its natural course. Maybe something of interest may pop up in one of the issues still to be delivered?
To be honest the printed edition may never come back. There was talk pre-COVID that the printed edition may cease and though the Lincoln Centre has said that won't happen the economic fallout from COVID may leave them with no choice.

To date there is no indication of when printed issues are due to resume and the only on-line edition so far has been the May/June edition. We are now in the middle of October so things aren't looking too good.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:Their May/June edition of Film Comment was digital only and I didn't even bother looking at it. I have not been happy with a number of the changes that Nicolas Rapold (recently appointed editor) has made so I'm going to stop buying the magazine. I'll email them to let them know not to bother sending my any further editions and I'm happy for them to keep my subscription money has the magazine has given me so much pleasure for over 40 years. With the decline in the magazine itself and the blurring of cinema and streaming compounded by COVID it is a perfect time to cut some strings I think.
Since the subscription is already paid why ask them to stop sending you the magazine? Why not just let the subscription run through its natural course. Maybe something of interest may pop up in one of the issues still to be delivered?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'd consider upgrading The Ascent to Blu Ray but I already have two of the Bunuel's on Blu Ray so I'll live in hope that The Phantom Liberty will get a stand alone release somewhere at some point.

Whilst not in relation to DVDs/Blu Rays but a little relevant to this thread as earlier in the year there were discussions in relation to international mail deliveries I've finally received my March/April edition of Film Comment. Don't know if it actually took over 7 months to reach me or was only recently sent as the Lincoln Centre did shut up shop and still may be for all I know.

Their May/June edition of Film Comment was digital only and I didn't even bother looking at it. I have not been happy with a number of the changes that Nicolas Rapold (recently appointed editor) has made so I'm going to stop buying the magazine. I'll email them to let them know not to bother sending my any further editions and I'm happy for them to keep my subscription money has the magazine has given me so much pleasure for over 40 years. With the decline in the magazine itself and the blurring of cinema and streaming compounded by COVID it is a perfect time to cut some strings I think.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

January Criterions:
The Ascent
Rolling Thunder Revue
Minding the Gap
Three Films by Luis Bunuel: The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, That Obscure Object of Desire
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Warners can't release enough films monthly to satisfy me.

I have over 200 titles I'm waiting for them to release to I usually have a tinge of disappointment when they announce their monthly releases because generally if I'm lucky there will be something for me. The latest announcements - zilch for me :(
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Warner Archive is doing a good job of stepping up their Blu-ray releases of classic films including 1942's Tennessee Johnson which has never seen a home video release in any format, but I wish they would get their damn facts straight.

Here's their release blurb:

"This film provided M-G-M an opportunity to showcase the impressive talents of studio newcomer Van Heflin, who had just earned a Best Supporting Actor Oscar® for the 1941 crime hit Johnny Eager. The studio found an ideal role for Heflin in Andrew Johnson, the Tennessee tailor-turned-senator who broke with the South, rose to the vice presidency under Abraham Lincoln and soon became – after Lincoln’s assassination – the first U.S. president to face impeachment. With inspired direction by William Dieterle, Heflin convinces as Johnson “by the sheer sincerity and strength of his performance” (The New York Times). Studio stalwart Lionel Barrymore portrays Johnson’s nemesis, Thaddeus Stevens, and Ruth Hussey plays Johnson's devoted wife."

No, Heflin hadn't just won an Oscar for Johnny Eager which was filmed in 1941 but not released until 1942 for which he received a plaque, not an Oscar statuette, in 1943. Tennessee Johnson was filmed in August 1942 and released in December of that year.

The December 9, 1941 release date listed for Johnny Eager on IMDb. is in error. It did not open in L.A. until April 1942. It may have been one of several films scheduled for opening in December 1941 that was delayed because of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Sullivan's Travels and Kings Row are two such films.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm working on a thread (which I may get time to complete since I'll probably be at home quarantining this week, and next week is Fall Break) about differing versions of different films and in that one I conclude that the most recent version of Apocalypse Now is the best version of it.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'll pass on Coppola's 'restored' version of The Godfather Part 3 just like I passed on his most recent fiddling of Apocalypse Now. I prefer the original theatrical cut of AN and I'll stick with that. I've always wanted to revisit the three Godfather films. I had them on DVD, replaced them with the Blu Ray edition and still have rewatched them. Maybe one day.....

I personally recommend The Cotton Club Encore. I hated the film when it was first released in cinema's and long ranked it with Jack as Coppola's worst work. The 'Encore edition' was a revelation - I thoroughly enjoyed it and everything clicked into place beautifully.

I would certainly be up for a re-working in One From the Heart. I've seen the film twice and I consider it an interesting failure with potentially something much bettered buried in their with the possible help of additional footage.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Francis Ford Coppola, as we all know, has spent much of the past decade not making new films but reworking his older ones, and his latest rework is of The Godfather Part III, which is now retitled, The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone.

He's always claimed that he and Mario Puzo wanted to call it The Death of Michael Corleone from the minute they agreed to make it, but that Paramount wouldn't go for it, and I suspect they still insisted on including The Godfather in the reworked title, but he's gone back, remastered the film, and also completely reworked the beginning and ending, as well as restructured some scenes in the body of the film (apparently he'll use some alternate shots, takes and music cues).

Worth noting that this is actually not the first time Coppola has gone back to recut this film: he released a 170-minute Director's Cut on VHS (I'm unsure if this was the original VHS release, or if it was a later VHS release), which was nine minutes longer than the 162-minute Theatrical Cut. This 170-minute cut is the cut that's been release on DVD and Blu-Ray since and is the only commercially-available version of the film until now. The 162-minute cut essentially does not exist.

This version will be 157 minutes, and will be released on Blu-Ray and Digital in December. I'm sure there was hope of some type of Theatrical re-release, but if there is one, I'm sure it will be limited, one-off screenings. (I'm sure there was hope of a big festival premiere at Venice or Telluride, as Coppola has typically premiered his new cuts at film festivals, but of course that wasn't in the cards this year.)

Kind of interested to see which film Coppola might revisit next? My guess is it would be something like One From the Heart, since Zoetrope controls it, or maybe something like Youth Without Youth, depending on rights issues. I could also see him wanting to revisit Bram Stoker's Dracula, although that would be a more complicated situation since Sony still owns it and it's always been a pretty solid moneymaker for them. (All of this reminds me I still need to watch The Cotton Club Encore, which got some great reviews.)

Return to “DVD Discussions”