Coming DVDs

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Coming DVDs

Post by Precious Doll »

dws1982 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I'm thinking for placing an order directly with Indicator. There is a Hammer boxset I'm interested in as well as the William Castle box sets. Plus I'm feeling very nostalgic for Force 10 From Navarone. Plus I need to purchase some Blu Ray cases for ones that have been damaged in the post.
I've ordered from them a few times. Their shipping is on the expensive side (I think they ship for free after a certain order amount, but my order has never gone that high), but it always includes tracking and everything is always very carefully packed. I've never had anything damaged from them.
I just ordered a stack of things from Indicator. Both William Castle's boxsets, one Hammer boxset, Force 10 From Navarone, Britannia Hospital & a copy of empty cases to replace ones damaged during postage (not Indicator titles). I think I've only ever ordered directly from them twice before and they were special limited editions that I didn't want to miss out on.

I'm getting them shipped by Fed Ex Express as flights to Australia from the rest of the world is down to less than 5% of normal capacity so things some things are taking a very long time.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Precious Doll wrote:I'm thinking for placing an order directly with Indicator. There is a Hammer boxset I'm interested in as well as the William Castle box sets. Plus I'm feeling very nostalgic for Force 10 From Navarone. Plus I need to purchase some Blu Ray cases for ones that have been damaged in the post.
I've ordered from them a few times. Their shipping is on the expensive side (I think they ship for free after a certain order amount, but my order has never gone that high), but it always includes tracking and everything is always very carefully packed. I've never had anything damaged from them.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:I received my copy of Atlantic City from Amazon.us on 5/28, two days after it was released. It was the pressed version.
Your the best person I've heard that from. Perhaps that started with a stock up pressed disc and once they were all sold moved to movie-on-demand discs.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I received my copy of Atlantic City from Amazon.us on 5/28, two days after it was released. It was the pressed version.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Also forgot to mention Atlantic City is finally on Blu Ray in its correct colour code, unlike the tealed to an inch of its life French edition. But be warned. Do not purchase it from Amazon as they are selling BD-R discs. Deep Discount and some other sellers are selling the pressed editions.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'm thinking for placing an order directly with Indicator. There is a Hammer boxset I'm interested in as well as the William Castle box sets. Plus I'm feeling very nostalgic for Force 10 From Navarone. Plus I need to purchase some Blu Ray cases for ones that have been damaged in the post.

There have been some interesting releases that have sort of slipped under the radar.

Reversal of Fortune was recently restored (beautifully) and released in France. The French subtitles can be removed via the remote control though a couple of titles cards show the French subtitles - odd but doesn't distract from the film. I highly recommend this release.

Come and See from Criterion is compulsory viewing and for region B locked people it is one of those rare Criterion discs that is coded A+B as Criterion hold the UK rights but are unable to release the film due to animal cruelty which they don't wish to cut out.

A Rainy Day in New York is available in a number of markets and I can confirm that the German versions German subtitles can be removed but to be honest anybody desperate to see the film should wait until the prices drop because it is one of Allen's middling works. I managed to purchase a copy at a very reasonable price only to find out a couple of days later that its coming out in Australia in August. Sold my copy on eBay for a good price so nothing to really complain about there.

The upcoming Agnes Varda boxset looks great but I have most of the titles on Blu Ray already so I'll pass on that one.

International postage costs though have gone through the roof due to reduced flights though from some sellers.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:
dws1982 wrote:
I re-ordered the Ford set directly through Indicator. The price is basically the same, and I think it's good to directly support a smaller company like Limewood Media in a time like this, especially since Indicator has already said that they're unsure when they'll be able to release anything after May. I'm going to order the Kieslowski set through Arrow--that one is more there, but they have a sale on some other items right now, so I'll pick up a few other titles with it.
DVD Beaver have screen-caps up for the John Ford set and they look stunning. I passed on set because I had the Twilight Time editions of The Last Hurrah & The Whole Town is Talking (which appear identical to the Indicator editions) but Indicator usually end up releasing films from boxsets individually once the sets have sold out.
I was hesitant to order the Ford set because I had the Twilight Time editions of The Whole Town Is Talking, The Last Hurrah and Gideon's Day aka Gideon of Scotland Yard. I was hoping that Indicator would release a U.S. version of The Long Gray Line but that doesn't appear to be in the cards.

I finally ordered the Ford set from Amazon.uk along with The Green Man, The Strange One and The Family Way via Global Priority Mail on 6/6 - the package was finally mailed on 6/25, went all around England (five locations) between 6/25 and 6/26. It was shipped to New York City Gateway on 6/28, arrived 6/29 a.m. (this morning) and delivered by DHL this afternoon.

I watched The Long Gray Line. The 4K restoration looks great and the extras are excellent. The Whole Town's Talking and Gideon's Day are also 4K restorations with loads of extras. I sampled the extras on The Last Hurrah, which is a 2K restoration and watched the first few minutes of the film. It lacks the commentary of the Twilight Time edition but the picture and sound seem to be even better than Twilight Time's.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Such a shame but yeah we knew it was coming.

There really isn't anything more I want to get from them but I will certainly miss them. They released plenty of titles that would otherwise have remained unreleased.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Twilight Time, as we've kind of expected, is shutting down, and have reduced prices on all of the in-stock titles on their website. When their website closes on July 1st, all remaining stock will be transferred to the Screen Archives website.

For those not in the United States, the e-mail they sent out said that they will not offer shipments outside of North America after early June.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

dws1982 wrote:
I re-ordered the Ford set directly through Indicator. The price is basically the same, and I think it's good to directly support a smaller company like Limewood Media in a time like this, especially since Indicator has already said that they're unsure when they'll be able to release anything after May. I'm going to order the Kieslowski set through Arrow--that one is more there, but they have a sale on some other items right now, so I'll pick up a few other titles with it.
I've got the Kieslowski set on pre-roder myself and once I have it may sell off my Criterion Blu Ray of Blind Chance.

DVD Beaver have screen-caps up for the John Ford set and they look stunning. I passed on set because I had the Twilight Time editions of The Last Hurrah & The Whole Town is Talking (which appear identical to the Indicator editions) but Indicator usually end up releasing films from boxsets individually once the sets have sold out.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I've ordered from Indicator directly a couple of times and have found them excellent to deal with, however at the moment there appears to be delays with all mail across the globe.

I've been ordering mainly from Zavvi since Amazon blocked Australian customers back in July 2018 due to our Government introducing a tax on imported items that Amazon was not prepared to collect on their behalf. Thankfully Amazon US opened back to us last year though ironically the lockout of Australian customers from all Amazon sites also coninceded with the opening of their Australian store which I've only ever purchased a book from.

I don't expect most sellers to get back to 'business as usual' until later in the year at the earliest. Mail deliveries in Australia have slowed due to a snails pass in part due to reduced international flights and locally due to the surge of on-line sales which are matching pre-Christmas sales and people flock to on-line sellers.

I have a number of parcels coming from Zavvi, YesAsia, DaaVeeDee and eBay sellers. I expect all of them to take much longer than they usually do. My partner was asked me today why I kept going out to check the mailbox and I replied that I haven't got much else to do.

I had also been selling off lots of things on eBay over the last few years from unwanted discs, film posters and other stuff but removed everything I had on my eBay account in mid March when things began going belly-up in relation to the virus. As it was I noticed a big decline in interest in anything I was selling which was clearly due to the months of bushfires which had already had a huge negative impact on peoples spending.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

This morning I got the e-mail that I had been expecting from Amazon UK: They were unsure when my items could be delivered. It turned out the estimated delivery date they followed up with was within range of what they had estimated when I pre-ordered back in February, but I cancelled the order anyway.

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

dws1982 wrote:I ordered from the Indicator flash sale last weekend. The package shipped, made it from the UK, then on Thursday morning the tracking indicated that it was transferred to USPS in New York and there hasn't been a single update to the tracking since then.
This shipment finally arrived today. I filed an inquiry last week, got an e-mail saying they were investigating, followed by a second e-mail asking me to rate their service. Filed another inquiry early this week and then suddenly last night it was tracking through Birmingham last night. I knew it was probably just sitting at customs, I just didn't want it to get lost there.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Except that almost everyone I know now just streams content. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO Go, they don't need to buy physical DVD's, so I think Precious' outlook is the more likely. I just hope that being forced to watch everything on small screens during this period will reiterate the importance of the theatrical experience and we'll have a major industry boom once this is all over.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They may be a luxury item but they do help to keep the economy going in one of the places it can still go.

I received a package from Criterion on Monday that they shipped through the post office on Saturday. On the other hand, I have a package coming from another company that's been sitting at the regional post office in Pittsburgh, which is just a few hours away, for four days now, with delivery currently anticipated next Monday.

Amazon sent me a package Monday with delivery anticipated for Wednesday but put it out on their truck on Tuesday. It was delivered at ten to ten Tuesday night.

That's this week. Last week I received a couple of packages from UPS close to 8:00 at night. I feel bad for these poor exhausted delivery people almost as much as I do for the doctors and nurses and others on the front lines of this crisis but at least I know I'm doing my part to keep them in their jobs.

Return to “DVD Discussions”