Coming DVDs

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Coming DVDs

Post by Big Magilla »

gunnar wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Back when I had the equipment to do so, I copied my old VHS copy of Madame Rosa to a DVD-R. It is really unwatchable. The only film that looks worse than that in a VHS-DVR-D-R transfer is The Shameless Old Lady. Those two films and The Sleeping Car Murder, also starring Signoret, are the three foreign language films I have most wanted to see restored to what they once looked like.

One down, two to go.
I think that The Sleeping Car Murder was restored a few years ago and released on Blu-Ray in France. Somebody appears to be selling a bootleg Region 0 BD/DVD set on eBay with the US dubbed release on dvd and the French restored version with English subtitles on Blu-Ray. The legitimate French version can be found on Amazon (and likely elsewhere), but it is probably the wrong region.
Well, I finally gave up the ghost and ordered the Creature Features Blu-ray/DVD combo on eBay four days ago. It arrived today with a disclaimer from the seller that he searched for proper licensing and found the film to be in the public domain.

The letterboxed Region 0 Blu-ray (in French with English subtitles) is flawless. The 4x3 English dubbed DVD looks horrible. The dubbing, which I remembered as being very good, is irritatingly out of sync.

With this and the excellent recent Kino Lorber Blu-ray of Madame Rosa, my lone holdout among foreign language films in bad need of replacement is The Shameless Old Lady. The classic Hollywood films most in need of replacement are The Blue Veil and The Dark at the Top of the Stairs. Besides those three, most in need of a U.S. release is To Each His Own which is strangely only available on a Region 2 DVD.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Add The Father to 5/18.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Minari streets 5/18
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Updated release schedule of 2020-2021 awards calendar films:

Nomadland on 4/27,
Judas and the Black Messiah on 5/4
The Mauritanian on 5/11.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

It looks like there will be a new Blu-Ray release in France in April. Here's the listing on Amazon.fr

https://www.amazon.fr/Compartiment-tueu ... 264&sr=8-1

I hadn't noticed the release date. On the U.S. site, it simply says unavailable. Sorry about that.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I have the Region O DVD of The Sleeping Car Murder from Movie Detective. Neither the DVD nor the French Blu-ray is available on Amazon.

I find it amusing that they are now calling Cost-Cavras' film The Sleeping Car Murders when there is only one murder that actually takes place on the train.

It was released in the U.S. in a perfectly fine dubbed version in 1966. I wish they would release both versions on one Blu-ray so we have a choice. While I usually prefer foreign films in their native language, there is so much action and dialogue in this one that if you concentrate on reading the subtitles you can lose sight of the action and vice versa.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Big Magilla wrote:Back when I had the equipment to do so, I copied my old VHS copy of Madame Rosa to a DVD-R. It is really unwatchable. The only film that looks worse than that in a VHS-DVR-D-R transfer is The Shameless Old Lady. Those two films and The Sleeping Car Murder, also starring Signoret, are the three foreign language films I have most wanted to see restored to what they once looked like.

One down, two to go.
I think that The Sleeping Car Murder was restored a few years ago and released on Blu-Ray in France. Somebody appears to be selling a bootleg Region 0 BD/DVD set on eBay with the US dubbed release on dvd and the French restored version with English subtitles on Blu-Ray. The legitimate French version can be found on Amazon (and likely elsewhere), but it is probably the wrong region.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Back when I had the equipment to do so, I copied my old VHS copy of Madame Rosa to a DVD-R. It is really unwatchable. The only film that looks worse than that in a VHS-DVR-D-R transfer is The Shameless Old Lady. Those two films and The Sleeping Car Murder, also starring Signoret, are the three foreign language films I have most wanted to see restored to what they once looked like.

One down, two to go.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:It took the Sophia Loren remake to do it, but the 1977 Simone Signoret original of Madame Rosa has been given a 4K restoration by Kino Lorber and will be released on May 18.

It has never had a DVD release.
Glad to hear it. I almost never do this, but because of its scarcity, I watched the horrible YouTube version of the film before The Life Ahead came out so I could compare them. The film and Signoret still transcended the subpar VHS dub, but I'm excited it is getting its due.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote:Given that all the Fellini films were given 4K restorations for the box set, I suspect all the previous Fellini Blu-rays will go out of print once existing copies have been sold, after which they may start releasing them as singles again.

Paramount has stepped up its own Blu-ray releases. Rosemary's Baby is scheduled for release on 5/25. Nashville, Harold and Maude, and Don't Look Now are apt to follow shortly.

I'm not surprised to see One Night in Miami and Sound of Metal due to be released. Amazon tends to put its product out, as does Warner Bros. Netflix is the one that tends not to release their product to home video. Hulu and Disney streaming are too new to know what their longtime game is.
Coming Blu-ray releases of 2020 films:

Promising Young Woman 3/16
News of the World 3/23
Nomadland 4/27
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It took the Sophia Loren remake to do it, but the 1977 Simone Signoret original of Madame Rosa has been given a 4K restoration by Kino Lorber and will be released on May 18.

It has never had a DVD release.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Correction: 11 of the 14 films in Criterion's Essential Fellini collection have been given brand new 4K restorations. La Dolce Vita is one of the three that did not require restoration. It is the same transfer as the 2014 release, albeit with two additional documentary shorts throw in.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Given that all the Fellini films were given 4K restorations for the box set, I suspect all the previous Fellini Blu-rays will go out of print once existing copies have been sold, after which they may start releasing them as singles again.

Paramount has stepped up its own Blu-ray releases. Rosemary's Baby is scheduled for release on 5/25. Nashville, Harold and Maude, and Don't Look Now are apt to follow shortly.

I'm not surprised to see One Night in Miami and Sound of Metal due to be released. Amazon tends to put its product out, as does Warner Bros. Netflix is the one that tends not to release their product to home video. Hulu and Disney streaming are too new to know what their longtime game is.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Some of Criterion's releases unexpectedly went out of print last week: Days of Heaven, Rosemary's Baby, Nashville, Harold and Maude, Don't Look Now, and La Dolce Vita (although it is still available in the Fellini box set).

These are all Paramount-controlled titles and this coincides with the launch of Paramount+ and with a new head of home video at Paramount. It may be a temporary thing, and they may be reissued, or it may not be. Paramount has already announced releases for a few of these. If you haven't got them and want to, find a Barnes & Noble and check, because they aren't available for decent prices online anymore. Other Paramount titles from Criterion, like Election and Seconds don't seem to be affected--at least not yet--and new and upcoming releases like The Parallax View and The Furies (which has just been upgraded to BluRay) don't seem to be either.

It was also announced yesterday that Criterion will be handling physical releases of One Night in Miami, Time and Sound of Metal. For all the talk on message boards about whether these films are "Criterion worthy" (a dumb discussion in my opinion), this is pretty much the only hope these films would have for a physical release in the US, so I welcome it. If the rights change and they leave Prime's streaming service, they could become unavailable altogether. And honestly, with so much streaming content now, movies released onto streaming platforms fade into obscurity pretty fast*: No one seems to remember Beasts of No Nation even though it was an Oscar contender that probably had a legitimate at a Supporting Actor win in 2015 if Elba had gotten that nomination; Mudbound had very solid reviews and four Oscar nominations, but I don't think anyone has talked about it since Oscar night 2018; The Lost City of Z and Wonderstruck were well-reviewed movies from well-regarded directors, but they barely seem to exist today. A high profile label like Criterion will give these films a degree of permanence that they wouldn't otherwise have, so I am fine with those three films being released. (They will also be good sellers I would think, especially Miami and Metal.)

*- This isn't to say that movies that go the traditional route are spared the quick fade into obscurity--something like Nebraska seems like a very odd, almost theoretical 2013 artifact, precisely because it's not always on a streaming service. (Being in black-and-white and about old people is never going to help it be a popular success, I'll grant.) Whereas something like Hell or High Water, which has jumped from one streamer to another since 2017, is a movie that a lot of people in my real life will say, "You know what's a pretty good movie? Hell or High Water" I'd be interested in reading something that investigates why prestige movies from streamers seem to die a pretty quick death while traditionally-released movies often find a second life on streaming services.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The problem with mine was that they used a single door mechanism for a double door. It was only a matter of time before it failed. Been working fine for the last nine years. No problem with the opener. Good luck!

Return to “DVD Discussions”