Warner Bros Archive

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Another eleven titles have been added - all late silents and early talkies, five of them - The Divine Lady, Let Us Be Gay, Min and Bill, Politics and Reducing - showcasing Marie Dressler. Others include Garbo's The Single Standard and Syd Chaplin's The Better 'Ole.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Early June releases aren't especially impressive, but the count is now 207 including a Gary Cooper box set. The emphasis on the latest twelve releases seems to be on Cooper and Ruby Keeler. They include Cooper's Saratoga Trunk and Bright Leaf and Keeler's Oscar nominated Flirtation Walk and her last, Ready, Willing and Able.

Also released in the last week by its lonesome: Four's a Crowd, the screwball comedy Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland and Patric Knowles made the same year as The Adventures of Robin Hood with Rosalind Russell.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Aside from the legitimate complaint about international shipping costs, which are sickeningly outrageous, this is 62 pages of bitching and moaning mostly by people who claim they would buy some of the offered discs if the price were lowered to $7.50 with free shipping and a lot of sniveling over the lack of box sets. In actuality these people probably wouldn't buy anything if they won the lottery and could afford to buy every title. They just like to bitch and moan.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Here is a link to a forum with a discussion on the Warner Archives DVDs with lots of input. It's probably the best place to find out the latest information on not only new released but buyers issues with quality, shipping, sellers and technical issues:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf....ad.html

It's worth checking out the latest pages every couple of days.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1243501844
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Curiouser and curiouser...Amazon shows The Strawberry Blonde and Look for the Silver Lining with the same archival type cover (without the Warner Archive marking adorning the WB logo) releasing May 28th (tomorrow) but doesn't show them as exclusives.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Cinemanolis wrote:Unfortunately the Warners archive site does not send DVD to all the countries. Many european countries (including Greece) are not in their list, something which they confirmed when i e-mailed them. So i hope more such titles appear on Amazon.
You may want to count yourself lucky.

During April for about 2 weeks Warners were selling the Archive titles to international customers. I bought 10 films and was very happy with the quality, etc.

I had wanted to purchase 20 films but decided to limit myself to 10 because I had read on an internet forum that UPS was being used.

The problem with UPS is depending on the what type of shipping is used you could end up with additional freight charges from UPS. International customers the forum from Canada, UK and mainland Europe had all complained of the huge brokerage fees from UPS.

I decided to take a chance because I had things shipped from UPS in the past and had never paid brokerage fees. This time was different.

I paid $232 U.S. for the DVD's and postage and then received a bill from UPS for an additional $178 Australian. Basically it worked out $50 Australian (about $40 US) for each DVD.

At least with Amazon due to be selling the titles this problem will be avoided. Even though Amazon use UPS for some orders they used a different type of shipping which cost a little bit more but did not include any additional payments from the receiver of goods.

I'm about to head off for work but tonight I will add a link to the forum. Magilla had added one in an earlier email. It's worth keeping up on what is being experienced by customers.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Thanks Magilla. Everything seems to be allright with the TCM store. I already ordered a couple of titles.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What about TCM? They sell the Warner Archive titles now and at $2 per title less than the official Warner site.

TCM's video distributor is actually Movies Unlimited. If you go to the Movies Unlimited website they show these titles as being available 7/1. I don't know if they ship them through TCM any quicker, nor do I know their international shipping policies though I do know that Movies Unlimited ships worldwide.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Unfortunately the Warners archive site does not send DVD to all the countries. Many european countries (including Greece) are not in their list, something which they confirmed when i e-mailed them. So i hope more such titles appear on Amazon.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks for the heads up, Precious.

Technically they're not "Archive" titles though they are from the archive. Warners must have originally decided to test the waters through Amazon (release date is May 8th) and then decided to go out on their own.

These are pretty steep prices. I also noticed that Amazon's "partners" are selling actual Archive titles Interrupted Melody and All Fall Down for $40, double what they go for on Warners' own site.

Remember to go through Oscar Guy's links if you are going to buy from Amazon.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The following Warner Archive titles are available on Amazon as 'exclusives' for just under $30:

Bordertown (1935)
Colorado Territory
Crime School
Doctor Ehrlich's Magic Bullet
The Male Animal
The Unsuspected
20,000 Years in Sing Sing
The Verdict (1946)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The archive is now up to 192 titles. Latest additions include Four Daughters (John Garfield, Claude Rains, Priscilla Lane), Johnny Eager (Robert Taylor, Lana Turner, Van Heflin), The Fallen Sparrow (John Garfield, Maureen O'Hara, Walter Slezak), Party Girl (Robert Taylor, Cyd Charisse, Lee J. Cobb), Pride of the Marines (John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark) and a box set of Lex Barker Tarzan movies, also sold separately.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think they're permanent.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Will these be permanent titles or will they cycle the titles and stop offering some? I'm strapped for cash and won't be able to purchase any for awhile, but there are several from the first offering that I'd love to have, like Emma and The Trail of '98.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

April Archive Releases

QUALITY STREET (1937, d. George Stevens) - Katharine Hepburn, Frnchot Tone, Fay Bainter.

SPITFIRE (1934, d. John Cromwell) - Katharine Hepburn, Robert Young and Ralph Bellamy.

CHRISTOPHER STRONG (1933, d. Dorothy Arzner) - Katharine Hepburn, Colin Clive, Billie Burke.

BREAK OF HEARTS (1935, d. Philip Moeller) - Katharine Hepburn, Charles Boyer.

A WOMAN REBELS (1936, d. Mark Sandrich) - Katharine Hepburn, Herbert Marshall.

THE LITTLE MINISTER (1934, d. Richard Wallace) - Katharine Hepburn, John Beal.

TRAIL STREET (1947, d. Ray Enright) - Randolph Scott, Robert Ryan, Anne Jeffreys, Gabby Hayes.

RETURN OF THE BAD MEN (1948, d. Ray Enright) - Randolph Scott, Robert Ryan, Anne Jeffreys, Gabby Hayes.

CARSON CITY (1952, d. Andre De Toth) - Randolph Scott , Raymond Massey.

THE MAD MISS MANTON (1938, d. Leigh Jason) - Barbra Stanwyck, Henry Fonda.

JOY OF LIVING (1938, d. Tay Garnett) - Irene Dunne, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Aice Brady, Guy Kibbee.

HAVING WONDERFUL TIME (1938, Alfred Santell) - Ginger Rogers,
Lucille Ball, Eve Arden, Grady Sutton, Jack Carson, Red Skelton.

LUXURY LINER (1948, d. Richard Whorf) - Jane Powell, George Brent, Xavier Cugat.

MEET THE PEOPLE (1944, d. Charles Reisner) - Lucille Ball, Dick Powell.

THOUSANDS CHEER (1943, d. George Sidney) - Gene Kelly, Kathryn Grayson.

Return to “DVD Discussions”