Planet Earth (1974)
Rosalie (1937)
The Sea Gull (1968)
Term of Trial
The Bribe (1949)
The Search (1948)
The Subject Was Roses
Wrestling Ernest Hemingway
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:Well, The Patsy is a tremendously wonderful film.
Yes, but I was comparing the 60s comedies on pre-order not all the films, several of which are silents.

The only silent I purchased so far is The Divine Lady which has the same organ score it had when shown on TCM recently.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Well, The Patsy is a tremendously wonderful film. Hilarious comedy from Marie Dressler and Marion Davies, the latter of whom puts her Lillian Gish and Theda Bara impressions on display. Part of director King Vidor's late-1920s run of excellence.

If anyone has watched the silent films released through the archive, how's the music?

Edited By rain Bard on 1250210780
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Kisses For My President was nominated for Best Black-and-White Costume Design of 1964, so Oscar completists place your orders.
Yes, but it doesn't disguise the fact that it was a lousy movie. The best of these 60s comedies is Never Too Late, which may have gotten more awards consideration if it had starred Spencer Tracy and Rosalind Russell as was rumored to be the likely casting before the film went into production.

The problem was that Tracy was ill and Russell was tired of the heat she was getting for taking on other actresses' stage roles - Gertrude Berg's in A Majority of One, Ethel Merman's in Gypsy, Jessica Tandy's in Five Finger Exercise - so she demurred and the original stars Paul Ford and Maureen O'Sullivan got to reprise their stage roles.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Precious Doll wrote:More new titles coming soon:

Gunfight at Comanche Creek
How Sweet It Is!
Kisses for My President
Patsy, The (1928)
Plunderers, The (1960)
Kisses For My President was nominated for Best Black-and-White Costume Design of 1964, so Oscar completists place your orders.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A Majority of One and Never Too Late are back up for pre-order and the 1958 western Quantrill's Raiders has been added for pre-order as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:More new titles coming soon:

How Sweet It Is!
Kisses for My President
Patsy, The (1928)
Plunderers, The (1960)
Those five films as well as Mary, Mary and Desert Nights have now been listed for pre-order on their website. The previously announced, then withdrawn, A Majority of One, Any Wednesday, Never Too Late and The Fox are still missing.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

More new titles coming soon:

How Sweet It Is!
Kisses for My President
Patsy, The (1928)
Plunderers, The (1960)
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Warner Archive is offering any five of twelve of its new releases for $49.95. Included are All the Marbles, Carny, Dealing, From Hell It Came, Mike's Murder, Razorback, Reckless (1984) and Urgh!

Also posted on their site are 12 pre-orders including several 60s comedies from Broadway plays: Any Wednesday (Jane Fonda, Jason Robards), A Majority of One (Rosalind Russell, Alec Guinness), Mary, Mary (Debbie Reynolds, Barry Nelson) and Never Too Late (Paul Ford, Maureen O'Sullivan) as well as the long promised The Fox (Sandy Dennis, Anne Heywood, Keir Dullea).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Amazon 'exclusives' will be available through Warners website shortly:

Colorado Territory
Crime School
Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet
Male Animal, The
Strawberry Blonde, The
Unsuspected, The
Verdict, The

Also coming soon are:

Bad Ronald (1974)
Lionheart (1987)
Reckless (1984)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Urgh! a Music War is something of a holy grail for many post-punk / new wave music fans. In addition to the musicians Magilla lists in his post, there are terrific performances by Gary Numan, the Cramps, X, OMD, and Oingo Boingo.

Edited By rain Bard on 1248284419
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Great to see Carny finally released though I don't care for any of the other titles (though I haven't seen Urgh or Don't be Afraid of the Dark).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The emphasis is on the off-beat in the new new pre-orders:

All the Marbles (1981) Robert Aldrich directs Peter Falk as the manager of an all-girl mud wrestling team.

Boulevard Nights (1979) Tony Bill produced L.A. street gang movie with an unknown cast.

Carney (1980) Robbie Robertson produced and co-stars with Gary Busey and Jodie Foster in film based on his pre-Band job as a carnival worker.

Dealing or: The Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Log Blues (1972) Pro-pot movie featuring John Lithgow in his film debut as the dealer. Co-stars Barbara Hershey and Charles Durning a a narc.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) Scary TV movie with Kim Darby, Jim Hutton, William Demarest and an old dark house. Benicio Del Toro co-wrote the screenplay for the upcoming big screen remake with Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce.

Mike's Murder (1984) James Bridges' directed modern film noir with excellent performances by Debra Winger, Paul Winfield and an otherwise mostly unknown cast.

The Terminal Man (1974) From Michael Crichton's science fiction novel with George Segal, Joan Hackett and Jill Clayburgh.

Urgh! A Music War (1981) Two dozen bands performing live including The Police, The Go-Gos, Joan Jett, Devo and The Surf Punks.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1248276455
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Warner Archive has a 48 hour sale on their first 150 releases - 10 for $99.95 going on now.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Deep Valley and The Unfaithful are both now available.

Return to “DVD Discussions”