DVD Wishes.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Dead has been available in Region 2 for a while now. Cousin, Cousin and Madame Sousatzka are also available in Region 2.

A Dry White Season is a cut-out in Region 1 but can still be found.

I Never Sang for My Father was supposed to be released as part of Columbia's low cost martini line but seems to have been dropped. It is, however, playing sometime today on TCM as part of their Gene Hackman tribute.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Dead is coming on DVD in November (Region 1).

Marie has been available on Region 2 (UK) for sometime now in a beautiful print and can probably be purchased very cheaply from Amazon UK.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Current DVD Wish List of films post-1970:

Ressurection
The Dead
A Dry White Season
Men Don't Leave
Marie
Garbo Talks
Looking For Mr. Goodbar
The Emigrants
Hedda
Madame Sousatzka
Duet For One
Cousin, Cousine
The Seduction Of Joe Tynan
Still Of The Night
Reuben, Reuben
I Never Sang For My Father
Puzzle Of A Downfall Child
Effect Of Gamma Rays
Only When I Laugh
Little Darlings -- my guilty pleasure from childhood

Edited By Snick's Guy on 1250870482
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

--rain Bard wrote:Le Jour se Leve is available on Region 1, but only on the extremely expensive Janus "Essential Art House" box set. I suppose it's only a matter of time before it becomes an official Criterion release.

Yes, but I want it right now. Or tomorrow. I'm not good with the patient thing.

I actually don't have a region free player. The number of movies I "need" to own but don't is so great that narrowing my ability to buy those films, via region coding, is actually helpful.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1250881432
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Universal owns the rights. Unless they sell the rights to Criterion or some other distributor who'll front the money for a major restoration, we are not likely to see its release. Universal is cheap as dirt.

Universal also owns the rights to Sirk's films, including The Tarnished Angels, A Time to Love and a Time to Die, All I Desire, There's Always Tomorrow and Interlude, all of which have been released in Region 2, though they seem to have no interest in releasing them in Region 1. Magnificent Obsession is only now being released here, and that through Criterion who previously released All That Heaven Allows and Written on the Wind. The only Sirk title Universal has ever released itself is Imitation of Life.

In the meantime Universal continues to re-release the same classic films over and over: Holiday Inn, Rear Window, Vertigo, Touch of Evil, Psycho, To Kill a Mockingbird and the aforementioned Imitation of Life, now in its third incarnation.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1230928907
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

What IS the deal with Make Way for Tomorrow? How come it never got a video/DVD release despite the fact that numerous critics have acclaimed it as one of the best movies ever made?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Must be something in the water...the AV club just put their list out too:

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/noflix_23_great_movies_not
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Big, your choices are much more intersting than Movie Mike's.
To be honest, however, I don't get worked up much about what is or is not on DVD because I don't buy many, and many of the films you mmmentioned do show up on TCM, from which I've recorded most of the titles you mentioned. (Would love The Blue Veil, however.)

What I'm mostly interested in are now-obscure international films (movies that won prizes at Cannes or Venice et al in the 40s and 50s but are completely unknown to us now).

I also dream of the DVDs of two great 1970s TV series, Harry O and Sirota's Court, although I have not even taken off the shrink wrap of the box sets of Hogan's Heroes, Green Acres and To The Manor Born all of which I'd asked for as Christmas presents in the past and have now have had for several years.
Yeah, but the quality is much better on professional DVDs.

I actually have all the films I mentioned in various versions - most of them recorded off TCM.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Le Jour se Leve is available on Region 1, but only on the extremely expensive Janus "Essential Art House" box set. I suppose it's only a matter of time before it becomes an official Criterion release.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Insignificant is available on region 2 & 4 but both transfers are full screen and of average quality.

I have read somewhere that Insignificant will be coming to Criterion DVD. It's part of some deal that Criterion did with the producer Jeremy Thomas. I have also read (though a long time ago now) that some silent von Sternbergs are to be released by Criterion, including The Docks of New York. I hope this turns out to be true.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Okri wrote: My DVD wishlist? Docks of New York would rank high. Anything by Jacques Rivette. Bigger than Life by Ray. Insignificance by Roeg. Le Jour se Leve and Life of Oharu
Le Jour se Leve & Life of Oharu, like Bigger than Life, are available in the UK.

There are also a number of Jacques Rivette titles that were released last year. Check Amazon's UK site, sometimes the Rivette's are discounted.

Transfer quality of all the above titles is good with Bigger than Life being exceptional.

My own wish list includes two triple packs. Ken Russell with The Devils (fully resorted), The Music Lover and Savage Messiah and Nagisa Oshima with Boy, The Ceremony and Death by Hanging.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big, your choices are much more intersting than Movie Mike's.
To be honest, however, I don't get worked up much about what is or is not on DVD because I don't buy many, and many of the films you mmmentioned do show up on TCM, from which I've recorded most of the titles you mentioned. (Would love The Blue Veil, however.)

What I'm mostly interested in are now-obscure international films (movies that won prizes at Cannes or Venice et al in the 40s and 50s but are completely unknown to us now).

I also dream of the DVDs of two great 1970s TV series, Harry O and Sirota's Court, although I have not even taken off the shrink wrap of the box sets of Hogan's Heroes, Green Acres and To The Manor Born all of which I'd asked for as Christmas presents in the past and have now have had for several years.

Edited By Damien on 1230886084
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I agree with those choices as well. Bigger Than Life does have a Region 2 release as does The Dead.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Great call on Resurrection. And The Dead. Seriously, why this great great movie doesn't have a DVD release is beyond me. Joyce's short story is one of the greatest things written in the English language and the movie is one of the greatest of the last three decades.

My DVD wishlist? Docks of New York would rank high. Anything by Jacques Rivette. Bigger than Life by Ray. Insignificance by Roeg. Le Jour se Leve and Life of Oharu

Edited By Okri on 1230872286
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Coincidentally my year-end DVD report and Mike Clark's current DVD column in USA Today are devoted to our wishes for films not on DVD in the U.S. Although I have to agree with all his choices, we converged on only one title. Yep, it's Make Way for Tomorrow.

Go here for my list:

http://www.oscarguy.com/DVD/08-December.html

and here for Mike Clark's:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/dvd/2009-01-01-new-on-DVD_N.htm

Return to “DVD Discussions”