The DVD Report

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The DVD Report has been updated for the week.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:And did you actually sit through Gossip Girl, Big Magilla? I did last week, and I can't imagine you sitting through five minutes of it, let alone five discs.

Hee hee. I sat through the entire first episode, not sure if I got beyond that. I didn't see much more of Pushing Daisies. All other TV shows that I reviewed, however, I did manage to sit through the entire seasons either as they they were aired or by going through the entire season on DVD.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1223054322
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I've not had the time to look at The Godfather movies closely, but on my first glances at the three, I'm kind of disappointed in the transfers myself, especially after the job Warner has been doing on some of their catalog titles. (The Searchers is one of the best looking Blu-Rays in my collection.) But I'm not going to make a definite judgement until I actually watch the entire films.

And did you actually sit through Gossip Girl, Big Magilla? I did last week, and I can't imagine you sitting through five minutes of it, let alone five discs. I kind of enjoyed it as a trashy time-waster, and I loved the location shooting in New York. Hated the actress who played Blair, who apparently is break out star from the show, even though she's charmless and seems to play two different characters from scene to scene. The actor who plays Nate, who is apparently the other break out star from the show, is terribly bland, completely without a character to play. The actor who plays Dan should try to get out of the show as soon as possible, because there may be a future for him outside of the CW.

Edited By dws1982 on 1222827982
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't read anyone else's articles until I've completed mine so as not to be influenced by outside sources. When I do, I am frequently surprised and often gratified that others have come to the same conclusion I have. A case in point is this DVD Beaver review in which the reviewer has read all the on-line criticism as well as looked at the film itself and come to the same conclusion I have - that it looks great.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2....ray.htm

Edited By Big Magilla on 1222807670
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

To be fair, he's really making his judgment from observing the newly-circulating 35mm print, not the Blu-Ray disc. But I would think that some of the issues he's describing would be evident in both formats, if they're evident at all.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

There's a lot of hyperbole about the Godfather films I don't agree with, but the look of the film on Blu-ray is not one of them.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Great report, Peter. I actually had gotten a bit worried about the Godfather restoration when i read this article, which argues that the film's look had been drastically altered in order to smooth out restoration inconsistencies. Nice to see an opinion that there's no cause for alarm.

http://www.filmonfilm.org/blog/
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Peter's new report went up today:

http://www.oscarguy.com/DVD.html
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

One year ago this week, a new feature appeared on oscarguy.com. Peter's weekly DVD report began appearing. It's been a long ride to the first anniversary, but I'm proud to say we've done so. Peter's been gracious and quick to respon and I appreciate him and all the effort he's put into the article.

If you haven't read it yet or don't check it out weekly, you should.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “DVD Discussions”