Criterion to come out with Blu-Ray titles

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:
Damien wrote:My beloved bought a Blu-Ray, but several of the Blu-Ray DVDs we bought won't play on our TV (which is HD). The menu appears on the screen, but that's it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've had major problems with Fox Blu-Rays. Sunshine I actually sent back to Netflix, thinking it was a bad disc, and then the next disc they sent out was had the same problems. If the disc would actually play the movie (usually it got stuck trying to navigate the menus), if I backed the scene up to catch a line of dialogue, or changed to another chapter, it would get stuck every single time and I'd have to turn the player off and start all over again.
Wow, Sunshine was the first one we tried that didn't work.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

jack wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:3) As far as I know the blu-ray players are not region free, so I will would need three DVD players - the blue-ray for region 1, my region free for regions 2 and 4 and my DVD recorder for recording off TV.

It dosen't really mtter that the player you buy is Region Free. Surprisingly most titles being released are Region Free.

Click here for a website isting all available titles and it states if Region Free or not.
I was talking about my old DVDs.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

--Damien wrote:My beloved bought a Blu-Ray, but several of the Blu-Ray DVDs we bought won't play on our TV (which is HD). The menu appears on the screen, but that's it.

I've had major problems with Fox Blu-Rays. Sunshine I actually sent back to Netflix, thinking it was a bad disc, and then the next disc they sent out was had the same problems. If the disc would actually play the movie (usually it got stuck trying to navigate the menus), if I backed the scene up to catch a line of dialogue, or changed to another chapter, it would get stuck every single time and I'd have to turn the player off and start all over again.

It had something to do with a firmware issue or something on the Playstation 3; To fix it I'll need to connect it to the internet and download some updates.

Edited By dws1982 on 1245898603
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Big Magilla wrote:3) As far as I know the blu-ray players are not region free, so I will would need three DVD players - the blue-ray for region 1, my region free for regions 2 and 4 and my DVD recorder for recording off TV.
It dosen't really mtter that the player you buy is Region Free. Surprisingly most titles being released are Region Free.

Click here for a website isting all available titles and it states if Region Free or not.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It could be a dsic problem, or a compatibility problem. I don't own one, but from what I've read the blu-ray players work best with LCD monitors.

Three thigns are keeping me from investing in blu-ray.

1) I own so many DVDs of varying quality now, I'm afraid the bad looking ones will look even worse in blu-ray.

2) I've invested so much money in DVDs already, I don't want to go out and start buying the same movies all over again in the new format.

3) As far as I know the blu-ray players are not region free, so I will would need three DVD players - the blue-ray for region 1, my region free for regions 2 and 4 and my DVD recorder for recording off TV.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

My beloved bought a Blu-Ray, but several of the Blu-Ray DVDs we bought won't play on our TV (which is HD). The menu appears on the screen, but that's it.

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Precious Doll wrote:Also keep in mind that a Blu-Ray player will improve the picture quality of your regular DVD's anyway, so it's rather pointless to replace films unless there are loads of extras that you want.
The Blu-ray player will up-scale your DVD when you play it. This can be a bad thing, though. If your watching an older DVD, not necessarily an older movie, the up-scale transfer can be quite distorted.

The very first DVD I ever bought was Enemy of the State, and I watch it occasionaly when there's nothing worth watching on TV, and the quality via the BD player is rather pixelated.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I made the switch to Blu-Ray a few months ago (via a Playstation 3, so I can also play some of their games) and I couldn't be happier. I don't have a surround sound system (yet), but the picture quality is amazing, and the difference between a HD image and an upscaled SD image is clear. In terms of clarity, color, detail, etc., it's amazing. I've never seen a Blu-Ray that looked like an upscaled DVD.

Even one of the weaker transfers, like The Assassination of Jesse James, looks great, and the difference between it and regular DVD is made apparent in the special feature, which is not in HD, but in SD, and shows several clips from the movie in SD, most of which look blurry. And older movies, like Bonnie and Clyde and especially The Searchers are just stunning when shown in HD.

I do wonder how Criterion will transfer 16mm films like Monterey Pop and Gimme Shelter without the grain levels being too high.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I was just going to ask if I'd need two different players...thanks, guys, for the info.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Also keep in mind that a Blu-Ray player will improve the picture quality of your regular DVD's anyway, so it's rather pointless to replace films unless there are loads of extras that you want.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Can I just say that for those thinking of switching to Blu-ray to be advised, that the novelty of the whole thing will wear-off after about 5 minutes. By that I mean your eyes adjust to the 'high definition' and the whao factor is gone. Aldo you'd be surprised by the amount of titles released that don't get the proper HD treatment, and are simply up-scaled DVDs.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

And for those of use who aren't Blu-Ray compatible yet, the exciting news is that El Norte is finally making it to DVD (presumably not only in Blu-Ray form)!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

This has solidified my decision to officially switch to Blu-Ray:
Dear Criterion Collection Newsletter subscriber,

We’ve got some exciting news for this fall, and we wanted you to hear it first.

Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

Here’s what’s in the pipeline:

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95. Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.

As a special thank you to our newsletter subscribers, we’d like to offer you all $10 off any order of $60 or more placed on on criterion.com through Monday, May 26. Just use the code OFBT and you’ll also qualify for free shipping.

Enjoy spring

I think Walkabout, Chungking Express and The Last Emperor would look infuckingcredible on Blu-Ray.

Edited By anonymous on 1210226119

Return to “DVD Discussions”