What to do with bootleg DVD's? - Help needed

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, as most of you know, I'm exceedingly opinionated and the last place I worked for any period (5 years), it was fairly well known that I was against piracy. I actually lectured a few friends about it. So, most people know I don't appreciate intellectual property theft.

You made it sound like you weren't still living in the Philippines, so I was confused at first, but since you do, I guess you can't complain. She probably thought it was a great idea to get ALL of the films on your list, believing it would make your holiday extra special. So, really she should be commended for at least trying to be generous.

I would also suggest you not make a deal of it at work because whether you want it to happen or not, someone will hear and tell someone else and eventually she'll find out and probably feel awful about it. While I don't approve of bootlegging, I also don't like to intentionally or even unintentionally hurt others' feelings. Besides, conflict in the work place is dangerous and can lead to trouble.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Bootleg copies and guilt. Interesting to know that there are people out there who feel guilty about owning such copies.

Anonymous you haven't made yourself very clear if actual guilt is involved in your reaction to receiving the gift although I clearly detect anger. Though why would you even consider giving hell to this girl especially since bootleg copies are so commonly available in the Philippines. Anybody in her place would have done the same when buying dvds as a gift.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If you feel really guilty about having them in your possession, throw them out. If you just feel bad about the lost opporunities of the copywright owners, keep them until yoy can replace them with legitimate copies.

Next year if you want to ask for DVDs, say you only want genuine originals because you have eye problems and have trouble viewing bootlegs. That way you won't hurt anyone's feelings in the process.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I say glue them to a painter's canvas and display it in a local art gallery as a commentary on the state of modern technology, intellectual property, and appropriation.

(And then when you sell the piece for ten million pesos, give me a ten per cent commission for the idea so I can take a nice vacation in S.E. Asia. :p)
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Why don't you watch the ones you haven't seen? I doubt your DVD player will explode if you do. And as Damien says you can throw them away if you don't want them, but there's no harm in watching the ones you've not yet seen... If you've seen them all, watch your favourites again.... Then throw them in the bin.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

If you're bothered by bootleg DVDs, just throw them away and forget about it. Certainly don't this woman's feelings, as she thought she was doing something nice and she won't be buying you gifts again in the future.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I just came from my company's annual Christmas party and as usual, we had a "Secret Santa". It was an inter-department party. So that all of us will know what the others really want without revealing ourselves, we put up a huge "WISH LIST" board where we would write notes on what we really want. I listed down a few DVD's I wanted with an "and/or" to signify that I want at least one or two.

Okay, so now, the person who picked wasn't from my department so she didn't know me (and vice versa). She didn't know that I was a movie buff who collects only genuine DVD's. She gave me everything on my list but they're all fucking bootleg copies! I come from the Philippines where buying pirated DVD's are commonplace. In fact, almost everytime someone I tell anyone that I only collect original DVD's, they're like amazed.

Perhaps I should've specified that I'm okay with only one as long as it's original but what the hell do I do with these bootleg DVD's?

It would be rude for me to give hell to this girl (FYI: She ain't hot so that rules out an excuse to spark conversation) who I don't know for giving me these. I need some ideas of what I can do.

Return to “DVD Discussions”