My Netflix Queue

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's related, just gone off on a tangent or two.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

My Netflix queue has formed the basis for a discussion that's wholly unrelated. At least I'm good for something...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I checked the schedule. I was surprised to find they plan to show The Virgin Queen in pan and scan on Bette Davis' 100th birthday, April 8th, the day it releases on region 1 DVD in widescreen. It's been available in widescreen in region 2 for quite some time.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

You are quite right, Magilla. I misspoke. The schedule does say P & S next to quite a few widescreen movies, and as you point out, sometimes it isn't even P & S, but lopped off sides. Not quite as bad as the premium channels like HBO etc, which show pretty much only widescreen films and yet refuse to letterbox. It is a widescreen display world now, and they should respect the director's intentions and the viewers' needs.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The other thing about the Fox Movie Channel, is that despite their claim that they show films letterboxed where appropriate, many of the films from the 50s are shown in old TV cut pan and scan versions made available to TV stations in the 50s and 60s. This is particularly irksome with films made in the mid-50s when the action was often at the right and left side of the screen with empty space in the middle. Sometimes they don't even pan and scan, they just focus on the middle with half the bodies of the actors visible on opposite sides of the screen.

One film that has long suffered from this abusrdity is 1954's Black Widow, which has finally been released on DVD in a letterboxed version.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Damien wrote:Speaking of The Girl WIth Green Eyes -- which I also have not seen since its initial release -- what ever happened to Rita Tushingham?
I love Rita, who always reminds me of an afghan hound.

She pops up on British TV from time to time (she was on BBC news a year or so back talking about the Carnaby Street culture of the 60s) and I believe she had a tiny role in Being Julia.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Damien wrote:Speaking of The Girl WIth Green Eyes -- which I also have not seen since its initial release -- what ever happened to Rita Tushingham?
The last thing I recall seeing Rita Tushingham in was as Samantha Morton's mother in the 1998 Under the Skin, which still ranks as Morton's best screen performance to date.

The Girl with Green Eyes is also available on DVD with a nice print and at a cheap price.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The problem with the Fox Movie Channel (which I get as part of a basic cable package with Time Warner) is that despite Fox's largw inventory, it shows thw same movies over and over, many of them junk from the 80s and 90s.

Speaking of The Girl WIth Green Eyes -- which I also have not seen since its initial release -- what ever happened to Rita Tushingham?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

I have the Fox Movie Channel as part of my Bright House Cable Package. They have no where near the variety of films that TCM shows, but they do have the Fox library, show uncut and commercial free and letterbox where appropriate. You can check out their schedule up to about four weeks in advance here: http://www.foxmoviechannel.com/scheddaily.asp

Tonight TCM is showing The Girl with the Green Eyes. A 1964 movie that I haven't seen since 1964.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:What is this Fox Movie Channel of which you speak, Mister Tee and Big Magilla? I think I need to hunt that down. Might've been the channel that I caught Skippy on a year or so ago (on which I started a thread on this board).
I don't know if it's available in every area. I don't subscribe to it because for some stupid reason it's tied to the Sports package on Comcast.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't have a DVR. I have a VCR. And I didn't have any time to even look at the list of movies on their Oscar thing, better yet watch/record any.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Wes, were you DVR-ing anything during the "31 Days of Oscar" celebration on TCM because quite a few of those were shown (Five Star Final, Viva Villa!, Test Pilot, The Citadel, The Magnificent Ambersons, Hold Back the Dawn [soooo good], The Human Comedy, etc.). Several of them appear on that channel from time to time (Four Daughters, Quo Vadis, Ruggles of Red Gap, Smilin' Through).

Wilson, as has been mentioned in another thread, is difficult to track down, very long and very boring.

Blossoms in the Dust is one of my favorite films. I gave Greer Garson a Peneloposcar for it.

I love Joanne Woodward in her frigid bitch roles: Rachel, Rachel; Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams; The Effects on Gamma Rays… That scene of Rachel walking down the street imagining that the whole town is laughing at her is just plain scary. Everyone looks like they need a shower in that movie.

What is this Fox Movie Channel of which you speak, Mister Tee and Big Magilla? I think I need to hunt that down. Might've been the channel that I caught Skippy on a year or so ago (on which I started a thread on this board).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ah. That explains it. That would account for why there are hardly any titles in that section. I had saved several...I thought...but I was in a hurry, so I didn't pay attention to any warning it might have given...grrr.
Wesley Lovell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

OscarGuy wrote:Apparently, I didn't get all of my selections in...Netflix has a maximum of 476 titles that can be placed in the queue...I'm a little frustrated as it's going to be a pain to figure out which ones I didn't have included previously.

Time to start clearing out the stuff I can get through quickly.
All of your "save" titles count toward your 500 maximum.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

... damn, man. That's a lot of movies.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “DVD Discussions”