End of the Format War

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

jack wrote:One thing I will say, though, about the format is that you need to have a mother-fucker of an HDTV to total apprecieate the high definition-ness of it. We have a 37" TV and I think that's too big, but you would need to buy up to a 50" TV to see the real difference. Don't get me wrong the picture looks excellent, but you would need to have an IMAX in your living room and spend thousands of dollars on a sound system to fully reep its beniffits.
Can I get this in big bold type, please? While I'm not yet convinced this is the laser disc of the 00's, I think I'll be one of the stragglers here. The difference between VHS and DVH were easily distinguishable, especially on older films (the ones that have been spruced up a bit). Additionally, little differences like chapter stops and extra features made it obvious which was the better format. While I'm sure there is a difference in quality (anyone see Planet Earth on a big screen in high definition? I cried it was so beautiful), for those of us with smaller televisions, the difference isn't as considerable.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

This sucks... For Christmas my wife bought me an X-Box 360 and the HD-DVD drive came free with it. The novelty of my new toy has since seen my buying quite a hand-full of movies, and now the format seems defunt. That sucks balls.
The only advantage I can see for Blu-ray is the number of TV episodes that can fit on a sigle disc. An entire series on 1 disc should be a selling point.

Based on the HD-DVD format, Sonic, it doesn't work like that. I bought Heroes Season 1 and the package is indentical to that of the standard DVD set. I think it's four episodes on each disk, not the entire series on one.
I was under the same impression as you before buying it, but there you go.

One thing I will say, though, about the format is that you need to have a mother-fucker of an HDTV to total apprecieate the high definition-ness of it. We have a 37" TV and I think that's too big, but you would need to buy up to a 50" TV to see the real difference. Don't get me wrong the picture looks excellent, but you would need to have an IMAX in your living room and spend thousands of dollars on a sound system to fully reep its beniffits.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You may not need an adapter. If you're getting your programming from a digital source such as Dish, Cable or another such service provider, you should be fine. The problem will be analog TVs that use rabbit ears or other forms of antennae that will need the converter.

Basically, the broadcast signal will convert to digital from analog and rabbit ears, et al, are analog signal receivers. The adapter allows them to receive and interpret digital signals.

There's supposed to be a website out there that should help you decide if you need an adapter or not.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Speaking of HDTV, I thought I had read somewhere that once HD is manifest, those of us with old TVs... another luxury appliance I don't believe in replacing until it breaks... will be able to watch the programming so long as we have an adapter. And vouchers will be used to assist people who can't afford them. Anyone know the details?

(Pet peeve alert.) It's the least the government can do, considering how they took the lead in forcing HDTV on the rest of us. But maybe they can just send us complimentary adapters along with our so-called tax rebate?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Sonic Youth wrote:Otherwise, I'm keeping my DVD player until it breaks down, and when the prices are reasonable. I'm sure first adapters have the worst credit rating.
Totally agree. I don't intend to replace my dvd player, or of course my whole dvd collection, any time soon. I really don't see any groundbreaking advantages of using Ble Ray. I actually think that this may be the laserdisc of the 2000's, and that it won't replace DVDs.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The only advantage I can see for Blu-ray is the number of TV episodes that can fit on a sigle disc. An entire series on 1 disc should be a selling point.

Otherwise, I'm keeping my DVD player until it breaks down, and when the prices are reasonable. I'm sure first adapters have the worst credit rating.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1202866825
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think this pretty much seals the deal. The more stupidly-named blu-ray looks like it will end up victorious. Sony has managed to grease enough palms to secure two exclusive deals that virtually strike the final nail into the coffin of HD DVD.

HD DVD Takes One-Two Punch

Toshiba's HD DVD high-definition home-video system was dealt two new blows Monday after online renter Netflix said it will distribute movies released in the Blu-ray system exclusively and retailer Best Buy said that it will discontinue selling HD DVD players beginning next month. In a statement, Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix, said, "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us to create the best experience for subscribers." Separately, Brian Dunn, Best Buy's president and COO said. "Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them." Of the major studios, only Paramount/DreamWorks and Universal continue to produce HD DVD discs.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “DVD Discussions”