A Store For Rare DVDs

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:It's the only place I've found Berekely Square and Private Worlds so I ordered them and a couple other titles. I used your name as a reference so you may qualify for their $10 off reward.
How do you use Damien as a reference? Is that under Customer Code? I just went a little crazy ordering...
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, this is almost cruel. The second half of Damien's list is, with very few exceptions, the films I've been seeking for 30-40 years. And I'm willing to put up with less than stellar prints, just to see some of these rarities.

But after two years of illness on my wife's part, and my own accident, our financial situation is way too tight for me to even consider a purchase. I only hope this place sticks around till a time when I'm flush again.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Thanks to Damien & Magilla for this information.

Many of these films are becoming much more difficult to see. I doubt that not many of these titles will make there way to DVD in the near future.

A note for non US members. It appears that the cost of postage for international buyers is cheaper. I placed six films into a cart and the cost of postage was $29 so I was pleasantly surprised.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks for the info, Damien.

My October 16th DVD Report listed some similar sites and my experiences with them.

This one charges a reasonable price per film ($15) but a ridiculous amount for postage - $11 per item, not order, for priority mail - $2.50 per item for media mail.

It's the only place I've found Berekely Square and Private Worlds so I ordered them and a couple other titles. I used your name as a reference so you may qualify for their $10 off reward.

I've found that the rarer the film at these places the worse the condition. The Blue Veil and The Constant Nymph, for example, are iin horrible condition.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

On Dave Kehr's website, there was a reference to a website called Ashfault’s Classic Movies, which has many many heretofore impossible-to-find movies on DVD. I suspect that these were recorded off of television (many are Paramount pictures from the 30s and 40s which used to be television staples but haven't been shown in deacdes), and the site even admits:

"Most of our prints are very good, but some are poor. We offer the best prints available. If you have questions about specific titles please contact us."

But this may be the only way to see many of the films they offfer, so it's probably worth taking a chance and ordering one or two. Among the films available that have me salivating are The 13th Letter (Preminger), High, Wide and Handsome (Mamoulian), Anne of the Indies {Jacques Tourneur), Doctors Wives, No Greater Glory and Disputed Passage (all Frank Borzage), The Gracie Allen Murder Case, Hand In Hand (my Mom took me into New York to see it when I was 5, and I haven't seen it since), Hellzapoppin, Journey's End (James Whale), Magnificent Obsession (John Stahl version), Mystery Submarine (Douglas Sirk) and The Unseen, an old favorite unseen by me for decades.

And for Oscar nominee completists: The Affairs of Susan, Aloma of The South Seas, The Adventures of Martin Eden, Arise My Love Bad Girl, Banning, Berkeley Square, The Big Fisherman, Brazil, Casbah, Death of A Salesman, The Four Poster, The Hairy Ape, Ice-Capades, Hit Parade of 1941. I Wanted Wings, Kentucky, Kitty, Laughter, The Letter (1929), A Medal For Benny, My Son John, The Pied Piper, Private Worlds, Salty O'Rourke, Sarah and Son. Skippy, Song of the South, When My Baby Smiles At Me and When Willie Comes Marching Home.

Oh, they also have Make Way For Tomorrow.

The address is http://www.ashfaultsclassicmovies.com/index.html

Edited By Damien on 1196562803
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “DVD Discussions”