Madame X - 1937 Version (Gladys George)

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Thank you, Damien for the offer, but I don't think my parents own a VHS player anymore. Plus they live in Scotland, and don't know if an NTSC video would play on a PAL player.

The wife and I leave for Toronto tomorrow to get our connecting flight to Glasgow, and we'll have several hours spare, so I'll try and see if I can find it when I'm there - doubt it though. I know I can get the Lana Turner version, so I'll end up buying that one.

Again, Damien, thank you...
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Jack,

I have it on VHS (taped off from TCM). I could overnight it to you, and you could just pay me the postage costs. It's not a professional recording but you'd still have the movie. (The tape also has The Divorcee and Anthony Adverse on it.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I haven't seen the Chatterton version, but I think the Gladys George version is wonderful--it zips right along, and George tears into the role--her climactic courtroom scene is quite stunning; the Turner version, from 1966, is much more florid--it is, after all, a Ross Hunter production--but less effective, though Turner gives one of her better performances.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Ruth Chatterton and Gladys George versions are better, but the Lana Turner version is OK. They all pretty much follow the same story.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I noticed the Amazon VHS copies.

This film is for my mother, and not to sound like a bad son, but I ain't spending $100 on a video tape for her. I think I'll have to setle for the Lana Truner version (it was Lana Turner, right?) from the 50s or 60s.

From what I gather both, or all versions of this file are much the same...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

http://www.ashfaultsclassicmovies.com/index.html has the 1929 version, but their delivery time is s...l...o...w so there's no way you could have it by Christmas. Amazon retailers sell VHS copies of the 1937 version for anywhere from $42-100.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

It's the original 1930s version I'm looking for, Magilla. I thought it would be hard to come by, though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Which version? Universal's official version of the Lana Turner film releases early next year as a twofer with Portrait in Black. In the meatime you get a bootleg copy from either http://www.onlyclassicmovies.com/OnlyClassicFavoritesMNO.html or http://www.freemoviesondvd.com/index3a.htm in couple fo days. The Ruth Chatterton and Gladys George versions are much tougher to find.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Isn't there a thread here with links to sites that have DVDs of classic films that aren't commercially available?

The '37 version of Madame X occasionally pops up on TCM; Gladys George is astonishingly good in it.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Does any here know where I would be able to find this on DVD (is it even available?) before Christmas?

Return to “DVD Discussions”