The new DVD Report

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This week's DVD report is up, and it really dazzles the way Oscar Guy has illustrated it.

As an addendem, I should point out that the Special Edition release of The Sand Pebbles is really special. It includes both the standard theatrical reelase version and the road show version which is 13 minutes longer and in a wider aspect ratio. Also included is a replica of the 36 page souvenir booklet from the roadshow engagement. This one is quite a bargain at less than $20 retail, less than $15 at most stores and on-line shops, well worth the upgrade.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I am open to suggestions as to what you guys would like me to comment on in these articles aside from the current week's new releases.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious, you are so right. Films about Feudal Japan would have been a better decsirption.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Thank you to Big Magilla and Oscar Guy for providing these articles and information on recent DVD releases.

However I do have a minor quibble about the description of Kenji Mizoguchi's Sansho, The Bailiff & Ugetsu Monogatari as "These are probably the two best known Japanese samurai films not directed by Akira Kurosawa". Neither of these films fall under the "samurai" label.

In particular Sansho, which is first and foremost a moving drama, whilst Ugetsu is a mixture of several genres.

Mizoguchi was more well known for his senstive treatment of female characters in his films then as the second best known Japanese samurai filmmaker after Kurosawa. He certainly did dabble in the genre but it is not what he is remembered for.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

May 29th edition is up.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The May 15 DVD Report is online
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Terrific article, Big. Informative and a lot of fun, and I love your lament for "women's pictures" missing on DVD (romances being my favorite film genre). And the Caine Mutiny poster is very cool.
That's high praise indded, Mr. Inside Oscar.

The Caine Mutiny poster was Wesley's inspiration. I sighed when I saw it. :)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:Great work Magilla. Keep it up. Can't wait for the next entry.
Thanks. Next week's is already written - I'm working on the next two.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Terrific article, Big. Informative and a lot of fun, and I love your lament for "women's pictures" missing on DVD (romances being my favorite film genre). And the Caine Mutiny poster is very cool.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have absolutely no problem with it. You don't have to cut the length, I'm fine with that, but to give you an idea:

My film reviews run around 500 words (some longer, some shorter). Yours is over 1000 words.

But don't worry, I think ridding myself of three pages into that one would be perfectly reasonable to me. The constant download of pictures for amazon may be increasing my bandwidth usage anyway. Besides, once everything has its new layout, people should be able to find everything a bit more easily as stuff is being consolidated together.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Because your articles are long, I may put more coming soon DVD stuff after the current list there.
Funny, I thought they looked short on the wrod document but on the sight they do look really long. I guess I'm more long-winded than I thought.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's my current work. I haven't changed site layout yet.

That's coming, but what I've got there is the general layout the page will have (replacing likely the sales and rental pages and probably the DVD releases page as well. Because your articles are long, I may put more coming soon DVD stuff after the current list there.

MovieWes is just doing graphics for the site, I'll still be responsible for the overall layout of the site.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Great work Magilla. Keep it up. Can't wait for the next entry.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The design looks great, Wes. Is this your design or MovieWes's? In any event, thank you for the opportunity to share my musings and thanks to MovieWes for the suggestion.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Magilla has his first article up on my site. Check it out.

The DVD Report
Wesley Lovell

Return to “DVD Discussions”