Warners Decision 2006

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The official announcment lists There Was a Crooked Man... and Looker in Lieu of Angles in the Outfield and Best Foot Forward, which will eb Amazon,com exclusives.

DVD Decision 2006 was a joint promotion from Warner Home Video and Amazon.com in which movie fans were able to vote online for 30 catalog candidates from the Warner Bros. Studios library of which 10 will be released on DVD. Voting occurred at Amazon.com during the month of June 2006, and film fans voted for their favorite action & adventure, comedy & musical, or drama films. We've listed the 10 winners below, which will be released in two waves. The first half of the discs will be available on the 19th of December while the second half will be released on the 30th of January next year, and all with a retail price of right around $19.97 each. While 10 of the 30 titles will be released to all retailers, there will in fact be 12 released in total with two discs exclusive to Amazon.com.

December 19th Releases

Best Foot Forward (Amazon.com Exclusive)
The Illustrated Man
Operation Crossbow
Presenting Lily Mars
There Was A Crooked Man...
Up Periscope!

January 30th Releases

Angels In The Outfield (Amazon.com Exclusive)
The Arrangement
Band Of Angels
Gymkata
Looker
Madame Curie
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I figured it out by searching on the individual titles at Amazaon. They did only inform me of the films I voted for. The ten films that will be released are:

Best Foot Forward, Presenting Lily Mars, Operation Crossbow, Up Periscope and The Illustrated Man on 12/19 and Angels in the Outfield, Madame Curie, Gymkata, Band of Angels and Elia Kazan's last and worst film, The Arrangement, on 1/30.

Let's here a collective sigh for All Fall Down, Bhowani Junction, Blume in Love, Cimarron and There Was a Crooked Man and let's hope they don't suffer the fate of The Actress, one of the films considered in the first viewers' choice and still not released.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Remember this?

WHV and Amazon.com have jointly nominated 30 films from Warner Bros.’ vast library (the world’s largest) that have never before been seen on DVD. Visitors to the Amazon.com web site will be able to vote for their favourite titles from June 1 through June 30. At the end of the voting period, the ten movies with the largest number of votes will be selected as the winners.

On August 8, the two companies will announce the winning titles and make available for pre-order each of the ten winners. Five of the winning titles will make their DVD debut on December 5, 2006. The remaining five will be released on January 2, 2007. All of the films will be re-mastered and will contain added bonus features where available. Each title will sell for $19.97 SRP.

Well, it's three weeks past the planned announcement date and we haven't heard a word, but I did get an e-mail from Amazon this morning informing me five of the titles were available for pre-order: Best Foot Forward, Presenting Lily Mars and Operation Crossbow on December 19th (not December 5th) and Angels in the Outfield and Madame Curie on January 30th (not January 2nd). So, either the number of releases from this group cut in half, have they not decided on or they only advised me of the title I voted on that won, which means that the 1961 version of Cimarron, All Fall Down, Bhowani Junction, Sunrise at Campobello, There Was a Crooked Man and You're a Big Boy Now all lost.

Of the ramaining titles, Blume in Love is a good movie and Band of Angels is OK. The rest, consisting of Al Capone, Gymkata, The Hand, Up Periscope, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, Get to Know Your Rabbit, Not With My Wife You Don’t, April in Paris, The Eddie Cantor Story, The Arrangement, The Illustrated Man, Looker, Made in Heaven, Mike’s Murder, One Trick Pony and Sphinx are pretty awful.

Return to “DVD Discussions”