Missing in Action - Films still not released on DVD/Blu Ray

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Missing in Action - Films still not released on DVD/Blu Ray

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am

Precious Doll wrote:I think the print film they have was located in Australia, of all places, and is in very bad shape. My understanding is that the original negative may no longer exist. It's pretty scary to think that a film made by a major studio that isn't yet 50 years old may be missing the original negative.

Last Summer?

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:25 am

I think the print film they have was located in Australia, of all places, and is in very bad shape. My understanding is that the original negative may no longer exist. It's pretty scary to think that a film made by a major studio that isn't yet 50 years old may be missing the original negative.

With Warners now releasing far more back catalogue titles on blu-ray on a monthly basis with any luck Last Summer might show up in their Blu-Ray series. Wouldn't that be something. I have only ever seen the film on late night television decades ago.

I remember reading years ago that Paramount was having a clean-out of duplicate prints back in the 1990's and somebody accidentally throw out the original negative of Days of Heaven with a whole lot of copies of Days of Thunder!
"I think he sexually assaulted a child and I don't think that's right…It's gotten very quiet in here, but that's true." Susan Sarandon on Woody Allen, Cannes Film Festival 2016

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:50 am

Warner Archive promised to restore Last Summer 8 years ago, what's the holdup?

Also still missing:

The Blue Veil - rights issues
The Dark at the Top of the Stairs - Inge estate reportedly wants too much money
Where's Charley? - music rights, in bad need of restoration - Canadian bootleg copy (in green) is unwatchable
Porgy and Bess - Gershwin estate hates it, but bootleg copies exist
The Sleeping Car Murder - now available on YouTube

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:37 am

An interesting group of films that remain missing in action on DVD/Blu Ray are mainly studio products that are being held up due to music rights issues.

Some of the films that I am aware of include:

Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977)
Little Darlings (1980) - avoid the German DVD, it's a very bad bootleg
American Hot Wax (1978)
Red Sky in the Morning (1971)
Handle with Care (aka Citizen's Band) (1977)
Remember My Name (1978)
When You Coming' Back, Red Ryder (1978)

I am wondering if the same applies to:

The Magic Garden of Stanley Sweetheart (1970)
Times Square (1980) - though this was released on DVD I think
Health (1979)

Then there are other notable films which remain in limbo for other reasons:

The Keep (1983) Michael Mann apparently was none too happy with Paramounts recut of his film and isn't particularly interested in revisiting it;
Last Summer (1969) I understand major restoration is needed for this and finding a complete print of the original film has been somewhat difficult;
The Last Movie (1971) The rights are now with Dennis Hopper's estate, so we will just have to wait and see what happens;
Let It Be (1970) Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr are loathed to allow a release of the film because of some of the content with John Lennon & George Harrison. I don't get this as everything in the film is public knowledge and on the public record but it sounds like we will be in for a long wait for this one;
The Devils (1971) Mountains of information on the web why this, in it's original version, remains locked in the vaults at Warners;

Then there are the others for which I don't have a clue:

Gaby - A True Story (1987)
Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970)
A Dangerous Woman (1993)
Meet the Applegates (1990)
Reckless (1995)
Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971)
Moment by Moment (1979) - though there is a very good DVD available of this in Germany
The Haunting of Julia (aka Full Circle) (1977) - rumours are about that it is coming
Stevie (1978)
Tribute (1980)

I only just discovered that Only When I Laugh (1981) was released by Song MOD last November.
"I think he sexually assaulted a child and I don't think that's right…It's gotten very quiet in here, but that's true." Susan Sarandon on Woody Allen, Cannes Film Festival 2016

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 am

I've only just seen your post dws1982, so sorry for the late response.

I have the Taviani Brothers Arrow box set and purchased it for The Night of the Shooting Stars & Padre Padrone. Don't much care for Kaos. I actually had the Cohen box office on pre-order and then cancelled it once Arrow made the announcement of releasing the same films.

There is a very good Blu Ray of Man of Marble from Poland. I purchased it via a third party seller on the Amazon UK site. Haven't had a chance to watch that one yet either. Hopefully more Wajda will find it's way to Blu Ray. I'm eager to see a release of The Conductor & Rough Treatment. I would certainly purchase The Young Girls of Wilko which I saw back in the 1980's on a less than pristine presentation due to the television broadcast. I've never had an opportunity to revisit it.

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am

If the choice is between a Twilight Time version and UK version (from Indicator, Masters of Cinema, Arrow), you might be better off with the UK version. Those Twilight Time releases are so expensive that they aren't worth it unless you catch a sale. The Indicator releases seem to have better special features too. Definitely will order some of them--Housekeeping, especially, which has been unattainable for years. (I always resisted the MOD DVD companies.)

Speaking of Twilight Time, all of their MGM titles are on sale currently. They're calling it a "March Madness" sale. For whatever reason, it's only the MGM titles. They don't seem to be losing rights to the MGM titles--the next few months show several MGM titles on the schedule.

Things To Come is getting a DVD/Blu-Ray release from MPI in the States in a couple of months. It was an IFC release, and Criterion gets first bite at any of those. Lately the pattern has been that the ones that Criterion takes will either get a release from Paramount first (45 Years, Boyhood), or no release at all (Dheepan). So this means that Criterion has apparently passed on it. With the acclaim for the film itself, as well as the general hype around Huppert, I'm surprised.

Does anyone have the Taviani Brothers collection from Arrow? Cohen Media put out a similar collection in the States, with all of the same films, but the Arrow edition is comparable in price and has a lot more in terms of extras. I'm not the guy who pays a lot more for extra features on a DVD, but if the prices are around the same anyway, it would probably be worth it.

Is there a decent Blu-Ray of Andrzej Wajda's Man of Marble anywhere? It's one of my favorite Wajda films, the only DVD release in the US was a really poor-quality PAL conversion, not too far above VHS in quality. I have several of his films, but that one has been tough to find in decent quality. (Was disappointed it wasn't included in the "Masterpieces of Polish Cinema" box sets.) Also wish someone would put out a good release of his greatest film, and one of the ten or twenty greatest films of all time, in my opinion--The Young Girls of Wilko.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:32 am

There is a UK distributor that stared up late last year called Indicator. They have been releasing films from Sony's back catalogue. Some have been already released in the US, other have not been.

They have just announced Bill Forsyth's wonderful 1987 film Housekeeping with a career best performance from Christine Lahti for a May release. It has only ever been released on DVD in the U.S. via Sony's MOD program.

Some of their other upcoming films that have not been released in the U.S. on Blu Ray to date include Birdy, Eyes of Laura Mars & Wolf (release dates to be annoucned). A lot of there releases to date have been released by Twilight Time in the U.S. and like Twilight Time almost all of them are region free.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:43 am

DaaVeeDee for sure, esp. for Australian and non-UK European releases as well as old UK releases, but Amazon.UK for new British releases as they often arrive sooner than they show up on DaaVeeDee's site.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:23 am

I am referring to the Isabelle Huppert film. The UK Blu-Ray is a must have if the US distributor fails to release it on Blu Ray.

I've just checked the two Sirk on the Australian distributors website. A Time to Love is not even showing there now and The Tarnished Angels is out-of-stock - doubt they will restock it. I don't get why these two Douglas Sirk haven't gotten better 'treatment' in the U.S. They were only ever released on DVD 'down under'.

Interesting to see if the Malle's turn up on Blu-Ray in the U.S. It will no doubt depend on who owns the rights to which prints.

I occasionally go through third party sellers on Amazon but the postage cost is so inflated. It's always worth checking DaaVeeDee as they have a very good range of English friendly DVDs & Blu-Rays from all over the world. I have been ordering from them for about 10 years now and have never had any problems.

Aside from the U.S. and U.K Amazon sites I also have purchased from their French, German, Italian, Spanish, Canadian & Japanese sites.

Another two films that haven't yet been released in the U.S. are Taking Off (Milos Forman) & Deep End (Jerzy Skolomowski). Both were released in the U.K. on Blu-Ray in 2011 and are still missing in action in the U.S. Though Taking Off is now only available on DVD. I watched Taking Off recently as my partner had never seen and it's such a hoot. It's also such a time capsule of a long gone era. Deep End remains as dark and disturbing was when I first saw it back in the early 1980s. It could be music rights issues that have prevented them being released in the U.S. as one would think that Criterion would surely snatch them up.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:09 am

A Time to Love and a Time to Die is one of the reasons I went to a region-free player years ago. It's never been available in the U.S. on any home video format.

Both the Eureka-Masters of Cinema Blu-ray and DVD are out of print. The Blu-ray sells through 3rd party sellers at Amazon.UK for 60 pounds (currently $75 (U.S.). The DVD sells for $95 at Amazon.US, which is even more ridiculous. On the other hand, the Eureka-Masters of Cinema Blu-ray of The Tarnished Angels sells for $20 at Amazon.US, the same price as the Universal Vault DVD.

Things to Come - you must mean the Isabelle Huppert film. The Blu-ray of the 1936 H.G. Wells film was put out by Criterion in 2013.

The Lion in Winter restoration looks and sounds terrific. The Anthony Harvey commentary is illuminating, which is not always the case with directors reminiscing about their past glories.

Au Revoir les Enfants was put out by Criterion in 2011, but they have not transferred any of his other titles to Blu-ray. I have Lacombe, Lucien on the French Blu-ray.

There are quite a number of British films that are only available in Blu-ray from the U.K. including The Importance of Being Earnest, Kind Hearts and Coronets and the rest of the Ealing comedies, This Sporting Life, The Man Between and The Captive Hart.

Both Amazon. Us and Amazon.UK occasionally sell German, French and other imports through third party sellers, but many of them in the U.K. do not ship to the U.S.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:05 am

dws1982,

There are a number of interesting films still only available in the U.K. on Blu Ray and I understand some excellent films in the pipeline. Some that come to mind include:

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) - was released in 2012 by Eureka - Masters of Cinema and I amazed that it has shown up yet in the U.S. (aside from what I understand to be an ordinary DVD-R release as part of the Universal Vault Series. It's a perfect release for Criterion;

Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection released by the BFI in 2015 worth considering for Day of Wrath (1943) & Ordet (1955). It's a limited edition with loads of interesting extra features;

The Tarnished Angels & A Time To Love and a Time To Die, both directed by Douglas Sirk. It's possible that A Time To Love has sold out but is still available on DVD. The Tarnished Angels is very much in the vein of Sirk's most celebrated 50's classics, whilst A Time To Love is a more somber effort and not surprisingly as Sirk was attracted to the project due to his own son's death on the Russian front in WW2. I recall that A Time To Love was a favourite of Damien;

The Lion in Winter - recently restored and looking the best it ever has it also includes the commentary from the U.S. DVD by director Anthony Harvey. There have been numerous rumours of this coming out in the U.S. on Blu Ray but there have also been rumours of issues of the U.S. rights to the restoration;

Things to Come - I'd wait and see if it gets a Blu Ray release in the U.S. but if not the Curzon Artificial Eye will certainly we worthy considering though it is light on special features (if any);

Two Women - released by a new company called Cult Films who have some interesting films coming up including Umberto D. (probably the greatest Italian film of it's era) & Visconti's last film The Innocent - one of his lesser efforts but I'm very interested to see who is has aged;

Fallen Idol - Carol Reed was nominated for a Best Director Oscar and the restoration is very good (if you purchase this one be careful where from because there was a problem with the first pressing and they were recalled but you never know who is trying to sell copies of the first pressing over the internet);

The Flight of the Phoenix (Eureka - Masters of Cinema) - Restoration of Robert Aldrich's minor classic;

I Wanna Hold Your Hand - Fabulous Films - Big improvement over the original US DVD release of Robert Zemeckis' directoral debut, however it lacks the director's commentary;

Our Little Sister, Like Father Like Son & I Wish all directed by Koreeda Hirokazu and all on Blu Ray in the UK. I was shocked to discover that Our Little Sister is only released on DVD-R by Sony in the U.S. Our Little Sister & Like Father Like Son look great, I Wish less so but it didn't look that great at the cinema either.

Coming soon from Curzon Artificial Eye is a Louis Malle box set which will include Elevator to the Gallows, The Lovers, Zazie dans le Metro, The Fire Within, Murmur of the Heart, Lacombe Lucien, Black Moon, My Dinner with Andrew, Au Revoir Les Enfants & May Fools (Milou in May). It will be interesting to see if they use the same masters the Studiocanal used on the French Blu Rays as some people had problems with some of those (Eleavtor & The Fire Within). I personally found them all very good but was only disappointed with Atlantic City which had a teal look to it as opposed to the more natural look of the US DVD. (Atlantic City is not included in the upcoming Malle box set).

One also needs to be careful too as some Blu Ray release turn out to be duds. This tend to happen far more with releases outside the U.S. than U.S. releases. A case in point is the Andrei Tarkovsky films released by Curzon Artificial Eye in 2016. Stalker is apparently quiet muddy. An older print of the film was used for the transfer as they couldn't get the rights to the recent restoration which is apparently speculator. There is hope that Criterion will be able to get access to the restoration.

I would also recommend checking some sites before buying. DVD Beaver is useful as are these two forums for Blu-Rays:

http://forum.blu-ray.com

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/ind ... 7ecbc7b059

I check out the threads relating to the various companies from the U.S. and U.K on a daily basis.

There are a lot of great labels in the U.K. and sometimes English friendly releases from France, Italy & Germany of local films. I tend to purchase most of my films through Amazon and sellers through Amazon. However, most of the distributors in the U.K. sell directly to the public and have sales on a regular basis. A few words of warning in relation to France, Italy, Germany and other non-English countries. Buying English language films from them can be a problem in relation to subtitling. France tends to impose the French subtitles on lots of English language films that cannot be removed by manipulating the remote control. Reunion direct by Jerry Schatzberg is a good example. The Blu-Ray is stunning but marred by forced French subtitles. However, most German & Italian Blu-Rays of English language films have removable subtitles however if a part of the film is in another language it will be missing English subtitles. Always worth keeping those issues in mind.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:58 am

Big Magilla wrote:The dubbed version of The Sleeping Car Murder on YouTube is pristine. It looks like it was re-mastered in HD.

Cohen Media has released several of Costa-Gavras' films in the U.S. including Amen. They might be the ones to release it here if Criterion isn't interested.

The French are the worst snobs when it comes to releasing films on DVD for viewing in countries other than their own. They are notorious for releasing French films with no subtitles a la Baker's Wife and hard to find English-language films with baked in French subtitles that can't be removed.

I completely forgot about the Cohen Media release, which I own and it is like all of Cohen Media's releases sensational.

I don't understand why the French do that. Whilst I can understand with films that have international distribution but so much it rarely seen outside France you think they would do what they can to increase sales. And as you say the subtitles that can't be removed. Ergh. Japan is the other country that rarely includes English subtitles but at least when they release English language films they almost always have removal Japanese subtitles.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:47 am

The dubbed version of The Sleeping Car Murder on YouTube is pristine. It looks like it was re-mastered in HD.

Cohen Media has released several of Costa-Gavras' films in the U.S. including Amen. They might be the ones to release it here if Criterion isn't interested.

The French are the worst snobs when it comes to releasing films on DVD for viewing in countries other than their own. They are notorious for releasing French films with no subtitles a la Baker's Wife and hard to find English-language films with baked in French subtitles that can't be removed.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:42 am

Arte Editions in France have recently released all of Costa-Gavras' films from his first, The Sleeping Car Murder, up until and including Hanna K. inclusive. They must have done a deal with Universal to obtain Missing & Hanna K. as are still with Universal.

No English subtitles for the box set. It's rumoured that Criterion will be releasing the recent restoration of Missing during 2017 as they released it on DVD a a while ago. With a bit of luck Criterion or someone else will release The Sleeping Car Murders, Shock Troops, Special Section and update Z onto Blu Ray.

Such a pity that the quality Costa-Gavras output after Missing nose-dived, though The Ax and Amen, both in French, are worth seeking out.

Personally, I'm going to hold out for a French language with English subtitles of The Sleeping Car Murder but it's good to know it is available in an English form somewhere.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks. I checked out YouTube.

If you watch the four-minute "intro", when it ends it goes into the complete film in English, which is how I saw it back in late 1966 or early 1967 on an Army base in Germany. I watched part of it on YouTube, will have to go back and watch the whole thing when I have time.

I guess the actual English title is The Sleeping Car Murder (singular).

I wonder who owns the rights. I doubt they've reverted to Costa-Gavras or he would have sold the video rights as he's done with his other films.

According to IMDb., the dubbed version was shown on U.S. television in 1972. If I watched it again then, I can't recall. I only remember having seen it that one time.

Return to “DVD Discussions”