Best Screenplay 1979

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best original and adapted screenplays of 1979?

All That Jazz(Robert Alan Aurthur and Bob Fosse)
2%
And Justice for All(Valerie Curtin and Barry Levinson)
No votes
Breaking Away(Steve Tesich)
4%
Manhattan(Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman)
40%
The China Syndrome(Mike Gray, T.S. Cook and James Bridges)
2%
A Little Romance(Allan Burns)
No votes
Apocalypse Now(Francis Ford Coppola and John Milius)
9%
Kramer vs Kramer(Robert Benton)
24%
La Cage aux Folles(Francis Veber, Edouard Molinaro, Marcello Donan and Jean Poiret)
9%
Norma Rae(Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank Jr.)
9%

Total votes: 45

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Screenplay 1979

Post by nightwingnova »

Here are the NY Film Critics Circle vote tallies.

Extremely close. I would guess that the critics went for Kramer against Breaking Away in film because they wanted a prestige/"serious" (issue) movie to win.

Film: Kramer vs. Kramer 30, Breaking Away 29, Manhattan 26
Screenplay: Breaking Away 41, Manhattan 38
Mister Tee wrote:The writers really botched the slate here, especially under adaptation, where my vote for the year’s finest adapted script would clearly have gone to Being There. Even beyond that, if the scribes were determined to honor a sitcom veteran from the MTM stable, James L. Brooks’ Starting Over screenplay was far superior to former partner Burns’ A Little Romance (Brooks of course later received plenty of payback for the omission). And I’d even advocate for North Dallas Forty over several of the group here cited.

The nomination for A Little Romance was one of the more baffling I’ve ever come across. The film wasn’t a critical favorite, nor even a financial success. If not for the fact it introduced Diane Lane, it might be totally forgotten. Well, amend that: it would also stand as one of the “where did that come from?” winners for musical score. Though it’s hard to begrudge a prize to Georges Delerue.

I’m quite surprised to see Italiano single out La Cage, though I guess national provenance is an excuse. I found the film so staggeringly broad I could barely muster a laugh (though evidently I did once, because the friend I went with used the fact I had as proof I’d liked the film more than he). The success of the film mystified me – by then, people were speaking of Boys in the Band as hopelessly dated, but Crowley’s play was Shakespearean by comparison to this. I’ve of course since had to endure La Cage in many versions, all of which were at least better than this original dreck.

As noted here many times, Apocalypse Now’s reputation has appreciated substantially in the decades since it appeared. It made no real showing in the year-end critics’ derbies, finishing behind about half a dozen films (Kramer, Manhattan, Breaking Away, All That Jazz, 10, for openers). I actually liked the film more than many critics, finding it an exciting, bracing trip downriver. But I never considered it more than a pedestrian work on the script level; what excitement there was (even before the narrative collapse in the final reel) seemed strictly Coppola-generated. I was honestly surprised the film was nominated in this category.

The other two nominees are the only ones I seriously consider for my vote. Norma Rae isn’t so much a political film as a human story that revolves around a political act. What makes the movie work – apart from the breakthrough Sally Field performance – is the film’s tiny observational details: the sense of the slow life in a small Southern town, and what a jolting change it was to bring a 20th century labor conflict into such an atmosphere. The film also nicely manages the working relationship between Field and Ron Leibman – defying the Hollywood stereotype that such a relationship would inevitably turn romantic (in fact, demonstrating Field could have a contemporaneous blossoming romance quite aside from Leibman). Norma Rae isn’t, in the end, a big enough movie, but what distinguishes it is the quality of the writing within its limited scale.

Kramer vs. Kramer was indeed based on a somewhat lesser novel, the sort of issue-based soap opera that turned up on the best seller lists with some regularity back then. What Robert Benton did to make the film a finer work was largely to use ellipsis: the novel was far more plodding, spelling out various steps in the plotline. In Benton’s film, there don’t seem to be wasted moments: we glide through transitions and it’s assumed we can fill in the blanks. It helped, of course, to have exceptional actors to carry the scenes, but Benton’s narrative decisions kept what might have been a considerably soggier film from ever bogging down in excess sentiment. None of this makes Kramer vs. Kramer the great movie some argued for at the time – it’s if anything an exceptional version of a routine film – but, given the absence of Being There, I have really no choice but to vote for it.

Voters for the most part selected a better representative original slate – though I’d have chosen the near-forgotten Rich Kids or the extremely popular 10. And even Alan Alda’sThe Seduction of Joe Tynan, an out-of-the-blue surprise summer hit, might have made the cut.

Because the writers did make one inexcusable choice, putting the dreadful …and Justice for All on the list. Bad enough they rote-nominated Pacino for the film; how they could have judged this collection of bad 70s movies clichés one of the year’s top scripts is beyond me.

Is this the last time we have to deal with the Magilla/BJ face-off over All That Jazz? In case you haven’t heard: Magilla HATES the movie, and BJ loves it. And I, yet again, will chime in with “I liked it till the last reel”. The writing during the earlier, backstage scenes crackle with Fosse seen-it-all observation, and make the film worth a mention here, but, for me, the total crash (and lack of dialogue) in that last half-hour make a vote impossible.

The China Syndrome was part of the series of slowly-radicalized-female movies Jane Fonda made during the period, but it stood out (from Coming Home, anyway) because the Fonda character wasn’t a total naif when the film started: she was already a wised-up chick, just one waiting for a chance to break free from her stultifying job-niche. The writers also worked variations on the Jack Lemmon character of the era, giving Lemmon one of his most multi-dimensional roles of later years. In the end, the film wasn’t exactly profound – it was anti-nuclear power in about the same way The Towering Inferno was anti-bad building codes. But it was intelligent, and a solid nominee.

Breaking Away was just a lovely little movie: an uncondescending look at middle American life from the unique point of view of townies living in the shadow of a university. Steve Tesich, it turned out, didn’t have all that much of a career, but this one time he caught lightning in a bottle, creating believably funny characters and a plot that, while it turned on nice kids winning a big race, never felt like it exploited the tropes of the sports movie for artificial thrills. Nearly everyone I knew liked the film immensely.

This included the critics – the National Society went for Breaking Away for best picture, and both NY and National voted it best screenplay. (LA voted Kramer both picture and screenplay, with Breaking Away second in the latter category) And, much as I liked the film, I couldn’t understand critics going for the film in such a big way – not with Manhattan also in competition. I think Manhattan is the last great movie of the 70s, the pinnacle of Woody Allen’s career, and, to echo Italiano, one of the great film comedies of all time. Annie Hall two years earlier had represented a giant leap forward from Woody’s “early, funny movies”, but Manhattan for me represented just as potent a leap, in maturity and writing prowess, from Annie Hall. Annie, while hilarious and endearing, was still a bit ragtag: the work of a gag writer moving over into more serious work. In Manhattan, that transition is complete: no one would mistake it for a work in progress. The film gives a vivid overview of romantic life in NY near the end of the 20th century – a world where people make bad choices for good or bad reasons, and maybe manage to screw themselves out of their best shot at happiness. The film is hilarious, and, in the end, heartbreaking. Why did the critics, along with the Academy, pass on such transcendent work? My take is, they’d succeeded all too well in promoting Annie Hall two years earlier: they not only got Woody nominated by the Academy for the first time, they turned him and his film into unlikely Oscar winners. So, by the time Manhattan rolled around (in a generally exciting film year), Woody felt a bit like yesterday’s news; why not promote this new kid Tesich instead? There was probably also some feeling Woody would be returning on a regular basis – something that was wildly true under screenplay, and even true for best picture 7 years on. Still, I’d argue the critics, promoting Kramer ad Breaking Away, missed their chance to honor Woody at his absolute peak. I’m pleased to see most here are not letting that happen. I happily join their number by giving Manhattan my vote.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The writers really botched the slate here, especially under adaptation, where my vote for the year’s finest adapted script would clearly have gone to Being There. Even beyond that, if the scribes were determined to honor a sitcom veteran from the MTM stable, James L. Brooks’ Starting Over screenplay was far superior to former partner Burns’ A Little Romance (Brooks of course later received plenty of payback for the omission). And I’d even advocate for North Dallas Forty over several of the group here cited.

The nomination for A Little Romance was one of the more baffling I’ve ever come across. The film wasn’t a critical favorite, nor even a financial success. If not for the fact it introduced Diane Lane, it might be totally forgotten. Well, amend that: it would also stand as one of the “where did that come from?” winners for musical score. Though it’s hard to begrudge a prize to Georges Delerue.

I’m quite surprised to see Italiano single out La Cage, though I guess national provenance is an excuse. I found the film so staggeringly broad I could barely muster a laugh (though evidently I did once, because the friend I went with used the fact I had as proof I’d liked the film more than he). The success of the film mystified me – by then, people were speaking of Boys in the Band as hopelessly dated, but Crowley’s play was Shakespearean by comparison to this. I’ve of course since had to endure La Cage in many versions, all of which were at least better than this original dreck.

As noted here many times, Apocalypse Now’s reputation has appreciated substantially in the decades since it appeared. It made no real showing in the year-end critics’ derbies, finishing behind about half a dozen films (Kramer, Manhattan, Breaking Away, All That Jazz, 10, for openers). I actually liked the film more than many critics, finding it an exciting, bracing trip downriver. But I never considered it more than a pedestrian work on the script level; what excitement there was (even before the narrative collapse in the final reel) seemed strictly Coppola-generated. I was honestly surprised the film was nominated in this category.

The other two nominees are the only ones I seriously consider for my vote. Norma Rae isn’t so much a political film as a human story that revolves around a political act. What makes the movie work – apart from the breakthrough Sally Field performance – is the film’s tiny observational details: the sense of the slow life in a small Southern town, and what a jolting change it was to bring a 20th century labor conflict into such an atmosphere. The film also nicely manages the working relationship between Field and Ron Leibman – defying the Hollywood stereotype that such a relationship would inevitably turn romantic (in fact, demonstrating Field could have a contemporaneous blossoming romance quite aside from Leibman). Norma Rae isn’t, in the end, a big enough movie, but what distinguishes it is the quality of the writing within its limited scale.

Kramer vs. Kramer was indeed based on a somewhat lesser novel, the sort of issue-based soap opera that turned up on the best seller lists with some regularity back then. What Robert Benton did to make the film a finer work was largely to use ellipsis: the novel was far more plodding, spelling out various steps in the plotline. In Benton’s film, there don’t seem to be wasted moments: we glide through transitions and it’s assumed we can fill in the blanks. It helped, of course, to have exceptional actors to carry the scenes, but Benton’s narrative decisions kept what might have been a considerably soggier film from ever bogging down in excess sentiment. None of this makes Kramer vs. Kramer the great movie some argued for at the time – it’s if anything an exceptional version of a routine film – but, given the absence of Being There, I have really no choice but to vote for it.

Voters for the most part selected a better representative original slate – though I’d have chosen the near-forgotten Rich Kids or the extremely popular 10. And even Alan Alda’sThe Seduction of Joe Tynan, an out-of-the-blue surprise summer hit, might have made the cut.

Because the writers did make one inexcusable choice, putting the dreadful …and Justice for All on the list. Bad enough they rote-nominated Pacino for the film; how they could have judged this collection of bad 70s movies clichés one of the year’s top scripts is beyond me.

Is this the last time we have to deal with the Magilla/BJ face-off over All That Jazz? In case you haven’t heard: Magilla HATES the movie, and BJ loves it. And I, yet again, will chime in with “I liked it till the last reel”. The writing during the earlier, backstage scenes crackle with Fosse seen-it-all observation, and make the film worth a mention here, but, for me, the total crash (and lack of dialogue) in that last half-hour make a vote impossible.

The China Syndrome was part of the series of slowly-radicalized-female movies Jane Fonda made during the period, but it stood out (from Coming Home, anyway) because the Fonda character wasn’t a total naif when the film started: she was already a wised-up chick, just one waiting for a chance to break free from her stultifying job-niche. The writers also worked variations on the Jack Lemmon character of the era, giving Lemmon one of his most multi-dimensional roles of later years. In the end, the film wasn’t exactly profound – it was anti-nuclear power in about the same way The Towering Inferno was anti-bad building codes. But it was intelligent, and a solid nominee.

Breaking Away was just a lovely little movie: an uncondescending look at middle American life from the unique point of view of townies living in the shadow of a university. Steve Tesich, it turned out, didn’t have all that much of a career, but this one time he caught lightning in a bottle, creating believably funny characters and a plot that, while it turned on nice kids winning a big race, never felt like it exploited the tropes of the sports movie for artificial thrills. Nearly everyone I knew liked the film immensely.

This included the critics – the National Society went for Breaking Away for best picture, and both NY and National voted it best screenplay. (LA voted Kramer both picture and screenplay, with Breaking Away second in the latter category) And, much as I liked the film, I couldn’t understand critics going for the film in such a big way – not with Manhattan also in competition. I think Manhattan is the last great movie of the 70s, the pinnacle of Woody Allen’s career, and, to echo Italiano, one of the great film comedies of all time. Annie Hall two years earlier had represented a giant leap forward from Woody’s “early, funny movies”, but Manhattan for me represented just as potent a leap, in maturity and writing prowess, from Annie Hall. Annie, while hilarious and endearing, was still a bit ragtag: the work of a gag writer moving over into more serious work. In Manhattan, that transition is complete: no one would mistake it for a work in progress. The film gives a vivid overview of romantic life in NY near the end of the 20th century – a world where people make bad choices for good or bad reasons, and maybe manage to screw themselves out of their best shot at happiness. The film is hilarious, and, in the end, heartbreaking. Why did the critics, along with the Academy, pass on such transcendent work? My take is, they’d succeeded all too well in promoting Annie Hall two years earlier: they not only got Woody nominated by the Academy for the first time, they turned him and his film into unlikely Oscar winners. So, by the time Manhattan rolled around (in a generally exciting film year), Woody felt a bit like yesterday’s news; why not promote this new kid Tesich instead? There was probably also some feeling Woody would be returning on a regular basis – something that was wildly true under screenplay, and even true for best picture 7 years on. Still, I’d argue the critics, promoting Kramer ad Breaking Away, missed their chance to honor Woody at his absolute peak. I’m pleased to see most here are not letting that happen. I happily join their number by giving Manhattan my vote.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

Good God, I still cannot believe how the Academy nominated La Cage aux Folles and didn't even nominate Being There! That is insanity!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

How can one not vote for Manhattan? I mean - this is really one of the best original screenplays of an American comedy EVER - and it's not lke there's no competition in this field! It's the kind of movie one always remembers with pleasure - it's funny, but it's also so real, so human... Truly the work of a great writer - maybe even more than the work of a great director. The others can only suffer by comparison to it - though China Syndrome is quite a compelling "social" thriller of the time, with a very good role for Jack Lemmon, and Breaking Away, while a minor effort, has its moments and, in general, a pleasant "mood". And for a script of a musical, All That Jazz isn't that terrible, either.

In Adapted, I was in doubt between Apocalypse Now and Kramer vs Kramer, and in the end I picked the better movie. It's true that, from a purely technical point of view, Kramer vs Kramer has the more professional screenplay - and a good one, much better (I've heard) than the probably slight novel it is based on. It's full of insight on American daily life, and it clearly loves its characters. It's not a groundbreaking piece, but it's solid, obviously the work of an intelligent, committed writer. But Apocalypse Now - while flawed - is a more ambitious work - I mean, today in America only Terrence Malick can write scripts of such scope and complexity, let's face it (maybe also Paul Thomas Anderson?). And yes, I admit it, the ending is disappointing, etc - but the general result is just too "important" to be ignored. There isn't much to say about the nice-but-simplistic Norma Rae (as leftist as American cinema can get, I know, but still...) and that sugary A Little Romance. So my bronze medal would go to La Cage aux Folles - a true French-style "farce", and by that decade's standards, as pro-gay as a mainstream movie could be. And VERY funny - which helps.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

I love Manhattan, and I voted for it. It's my favorite Woody Allen movie, alongside the forgotten Another Woman and Crimes & Misdemeanors, and the other contenders here don't hold a candle to it. With that beginning, it's impossible to resist. Add to that every wonderful detail, line, element, character, and George Gershwin. Again, impossible to resist. Nevertheless, I found Breaking Away a very nice little movie, and of course it's very well written. It's a pity it wasn't released on another year. It's enjoyable, it's charming, it's intelligent, and everything fits perfectly. Regarding The China Syndrome, it's indeed a worthy nominee. There is something more down the surface, and Lemmon's and Fonda's characters are recognisable, they are real people, not just characters in service of the plot. And that end leaves me speechless, boiled over with rage. Then there's All That Jazz, which is not Cabaret of course, and I would never consider its screenplay given this competition. It's a showy, intriguing movie, but not a very appealing one to me.
And finally we land in bad territory. Is ...And Justice for All the worst screenplay ever to be nominated? As I would say in Spanish, "una completa estupidez".

I remember few things about A Little Romance, and a great screenplay it's not one of them. Georges Delerue's score, Laurence Olivier and Venice were pleasant sweets, but it's too slight as a whole. Next is La Cage Aux Folles, another stupid movie, but with some laughs and some wisdom, but not far from ludicrous. When it comes to Apocalypse Now, I truly believe in it as a directing achievement, not a writing one. Only Duvall's character IS really interesting, and that voice-over is quite recurrent in regards to subject matter. A film impossible to forget, though, but I think Norma Rae is better in terms of writing. Everything is cleverly settled, and there's some subtlety along the way, but I voted for Kramer vs. Kramer, another richly detailed family piece, if not as good as Ordinary People, but the best in this adapted slate.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

I love All That Jazz! It's such an exciting and dazzling musical with a great lead performance by Roy Scheider, thrilling editing, and Bob Fosse's masterful directing of the entire film with one incredibly mounted musical number after another. His second best film, in my opinion, after Cabaret.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Original

In my book, Breaking Away not only deserved its Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, it deserved the Oscar for Best Picture with Peter Yates' direction second only to Milos Forman's direction of Hair, far and away the year's best musical film.

The China Syndrome is a deftly written screenplay that benefitted greatly from a real-life incident mirroring the events in the film within days of its release.

Manhattan's screenplay is not the film's strongest suit. The Gershwin score and Gordon Willis' cinematography are what make it unforgettable. The narrative in which Woody ends up with a teenager was questionable then, more so after the Mia kids saga. I think it deserves its nomination considering the mostly weak competition beyond the top two, but why this is running away with the poll is beyond me.

The other two belong in the garbage bin as far as I'm concerned. And Justice for All is one of the dumbest, most annoying courtroom dramas I've ever seen and Bob Fosse's open heart surgery musical, All That Jazz shouldn't have been nominated for anything, except maybe costume design.

Instead of those two I'd go with the extremely witty and heartfelt Time After Time and either The Rose or Ten.

Adapted

Kramer vs. Kramer is an easy pick here although Norma Rae and the non-nominated Being There and The Onion Field also had very good screenplays. I'd also have nominated the screenplay for Hair which is nicely fleshed out from the very thin book written for the stage version.

Regarding the other nominees, Apocalypse Now is excellent until it gets to the confused final act while La Cage aux Folles is very funny if a but simplistic and A Little Romance is sweet but slight.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

My Original vote would go to Manhattan, one of Woody Allen's masterpieces, the second best film of the year and a hilarious and also strangely poignant story of the city Allen loved so much. My runner up would be Breaking Away, a lovely coming of age film filled with richly drawn and warm realistic characters in its story of a small town in the late 1970s.

My Adapted vote goes to Kramer vs Kramer, a realistic and wonderfully written movie with real human characters and a script that sympathizes with all its protagonists, even Meryl Streep, who is never made to look like a villain. My runner up would be Apocalypse Now, a haunting and hallucinatory epic nightmare that adapts Heart of Darkness with intelligence and powerful symbolism in its tale of war. The best Adapted Screenplay wasn't even nominated though: Being There, a warm, intelligent, funny and rich satire on chance and the gullibility of America that also has a beautifully drawn character in Chance the Gardener. This was also one of the best films of the year and I really wish the screenplay was nominated along with its two great male actors.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

Ok thanks Big Magilla.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Kellens101 wrote:What were the best screenplays of 1979?
Can someone change it so people can vote agajn because I don't have that option for some reason.
It may only be available to moderators. I've been changing it as we go along on these polls.
Kellens101
Temp

Best Screenplay 1979

Post by Kellens101 »

What were the best screenplays of 1979?
Can someone change it so people can vote agajn because I don't have that option for some reason.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”