2. Tuesday Weld, Pretty Poison
3. Lynn Carlin, Faces
4. Hannelore Hoger, Artists Under the Big Top: Perplexed
5. Stéphane Audran, Les biches
mayukh
Graduate

Re: Best Actress 1968

Post by mayukh »

I'm 100% with Tee. The Lion in Winter is devoid of meaning and not fun in any conceivable way. The actors go down with the ship.

Joanne Woodward is a wonderful actress, and I've always been a big fan of her in Rachel, Rachel. She can also be somewhat boring, though, which is what I think she is here – sympathetic, direct, not that interesting.

Streisand was an energetic actress who could also wear one down, as she'd later do so often onscreen, but she possessed enormous charisma that worked wonderfully here. She's absolutely magnetic.

Patricia Neal was such a distinct presence. She's one of those actresses I can watch in anything, and she's very close to getting my vote this year.

But, well, I'm one of those in the "Vanessa Redgrave is the best actress alive!" camp. There are parts of her performance here that are off – because of the accent, for example, she lacks much vocal variation, and the movie often makes her revel in silly and pointless gestures (I remember her wailing about the "liberation of the Russian people!" on stage in one scene). But I think Redgrave in this movie is, otherwise, everything that people say Meryl Streep is in Sophie's Choice – technically perfect while possessing deep wells of emotion. This is an example of a certifiably brilliant performer using everything in her arsenal to create a masterpiece.

Also, I think Mia Farrow was better in Secret Ceremony than she was in Rosemary's Baby. I don't get Tuesday Weld this year.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Isadora is on youtube.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I re-watched Isadora for the first time in I don't know how long. I liked Redgrave's performance but not enough to bump Farrow from my top five. Had the film not been rushed into an L.A. qualifying run and allowed to play L.A. as it did N.Y. and the rest of the country in 1969, she would easily make that year's list, but not 1968.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Though I like Karl Reisz's film version of Isadora and Vanessa Redgrave's performance I much prefer the Ken Russell TV film from 1966, Isadora Duncan, the Biggest Dancer in the World with Vivian Pickles.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:I suspect that if more people had seen her movie, Vanessa Redgrave would be running away with this.

Big, Sheliah Graham was of the same mind-set as you, heartsick that Mia Farrow was not a nominee instead of Vanessa. She wrote something like, "The Academy should have nominated Mia, and then Redgrave could keep doing her anti-American protesting in Tralfagar Square."
Never heard that one.

I was hardly heartsick over Mia's lack of a nomination though I thought she had earned it and was surprised that she was overlooked. Ironically my second favorite Mia performance was as Natasha Richardson's mother (Vanessa's real life role) in Widows Peak.

I never disliked Vanessa for her politics. I liked her well enough in Morgan! and Blow-Up but I found her extremely disappointing as Guenevere (Julie's stage role) in Camelot the year before, which may have made me skeptical of the praise being lavished on her at the time. Isadora hadn't even opened in New York by Oscar time so I had no way of assessing it then. When it did open in April it was in the truncated version re-named The Loves of Isadora, which I didn't see then either.

It wasn't until years later that I saw the film and wondered what all the fuss was about, firming up my opinion that Mia wuz robbed. As I said before, I have no memory of the dramatic scenes, all I recall is the dancing and the ending which couldn't come fast enough for me.

My favorite Vanessa performances: Mary, Queen of Scots; Julia; Prick Up Your Ears: Howards End; Atonement.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I suspect that if more people had seen her movie, Vanessa Redgrave would be running away with this.

Big, Sheliah Graham was of the same mind-set as you, heartsick that Mia Farrow was not a nominee instead of Vanessa. She wrote something like, "The Academy should have nominated Mia, and then Redgrave could keep doing her anti-American protesting in Tralfagar Square."

Edited By Damien on 1253930149
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've not seen Isadora or Rachel, Rachel (tho the latter is in my Netflix queue).

As already stated, Streisand is just being Streisand.

My memory of The Subject of Roses is that the real leads in the film are Martin Sheen and Jack Albertson; Neal has some good moments, but not anywhere near her Hud triumph.

So I go with Hepburn. Yes, it's Hepburn being Hepburn, but, in this case, it fits: Hepburn was larger than life and so was Eleanor of Aquitaine--and she plays the role for all the gusto possible. It's the only Oscar she won that she truly deserved, and despite the number of OUR Oscars that she's previously won in these polls, I think she deserves it here.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm almost tempted to vote for Katharine Hepburn... I mean, if even Big Magilla doesnt pick her, she MUST be great in The Lion in Winter. And she is. This is, among the four Oscars she won, the only one she really deserved. True, the original material definitely isnt Shakespere or O'Neill, and not even Tennessee Williams, but I think that Hepburn knows it, and she plays the role with the right combination of pathos and humor. It's a solid, intelligent performance, in a role which, while admittedly showy, not many other actresses would have been so effective in.

I would vote for her, but I agree that all these OUR Oscars are enough for her. As for the others, they were all at least good, including Streisand, who later kept playing most of her roles in this same way, but who in 1968, this being her first movie, I can understand could be considered a new, original talent.

The other three are even better. My vote will go to Vanessa Redgrave, one of the best actresses ever, and one I'm not sure I will have the chance to vote again for here (ok, maybe for The Bostonians). Isadora is obviously a movie with problems, and Redgrave was too contemporary, too intentionally contemporary, to be really believable as Duncan. Yet you can't take your eyes off her. It's her talent, her unconventional beauty. Plus, she's half Italian...

Edited By ITALIANO on 1253950431
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

1968 contained four of my all-time favorite female performances, those of Hepburn, Neal and Woodward, which were justifiably nominated and one by Mia Farrow which sadly was not.

Hepburn's Eleanor of Aquitaine is by far the best of the four performances for which she won Oscars. She and O'Toole are eons better than Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart in the totally unnecessary TV remake which also eschewed John Barry's magnificent score. O'Toole was hands down the best actor of the year and Hepburn was even better.

That said, I have to agree that her previous wins here are enough, at least for now - I'm sure we'll have more to say on the subject when we get to 1981!

Streisand's "welcome to Hollywood" nomination was enough. Never a strong actress, she could at least belt out the songs and here she has some very good ones ("Don't Rain on My Parade", "People") and a truly great one (Fanny Brice's own "My Man"), but she's Streisand, not Brice, and unlike the stage version in which other actors get to sing a song or two, this is so "Streisand" that it could easily have been re-named The Barbra Streisand Show. Kay Medord's Supporting Actress nomination must have been a sympathy vote from all those performers who've also had their best scenes end up on the cutting room floor.

I saw Isadora a long time ago. All I remember about it is Redgave flitting across the stage in endless dance numbers and the ending. Maybe I need to see it again, but I could never understand how she was nominated over Farrow's harrowing performance in Rosemary's Baby.

Neal is terrific as the clinging mother in The Subject Was Roses. Many aspects of her character and performance reminded me of my own mother, but that's neither here nor there. Had she not won for Hud just a few years earlier she wold get my vote.

Even better, though, is Woodward in a fully realized performance in Rachel, Rachel which takes a conventional movie character and renders her unforgettable. Both Woodward's sensitive performance and Paul Newman's equally sensitive direction elevate this somewhat old-fashioned drama to a work of art. She gets my vote.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260680810
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Isadora is hard to find, and so it's the only one in the category I haven't seen.

Of the other four, I agree with Damien that the least deserving two were the winners. The Lion in Winter is one of the more joyless costume dramas of any period, and Mister Tee is right that the material doesn't warrant being played as serious drama. A better director, Andrei Konchalovsky, did a better adaptation 35 years later. (Even if it's nowhere near his best work.) The other main problem here is the noticeable age difference between Hepburn and O'Toole. I know Eleanor was eleven years older than Henry in reality, but Katharine Hepburn was twenty five years older than O'Toole, and looks it. She looked about sixty, and he looked...maybe forty. Maybe. The beard they put on him is the only thing that doesn't make him look like her son. It's as ridiculous as when they had her play Betsy Blair's longtime best-friend (despite looking old enough to be Blair's mother--Blair looked great for her age; Hepburn was looking her age + about ten years by then) in A Delciate Balance a few years later.

Hepburn is okay, but I don't think she's really anything special. And she's already won five awards in this game. Enough! Pointless sidenote: Eleanor of Aquitaine is something like my thirtieth great-grandmother.

Of the other two (didn't consider Streisand), I went with Woodward. Partially because I already voted for Neal a few years before, and I hadn't voted for Woodward yet. This was easily her best nominated performance, I think.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I think the two winners were the least deserving nominees. Streisand is loud and obnoxious in Funny Girl. It's an irritating, unmodulated, unfunny, noisome performance. And the movie itself is lousy.

Kate Hepburn in The Lion In Winter is merely Kate Hepburn doing Kate Hepburn in 12th century garb.

Joanne Woodward and Patricia Neal are very affecting in two minor kitchen sink dramas.

But towering above them all is Vanessa Redgrave for her extraordinary recreation of Isadora Dunncan. Redgrave nails all the many mercurial traits of the dancer and, both Duncan's iron will and determination and her vulnerability are beautifully conveyed. I don't know quite how she does it -- it's as if by wizardry -- but you can't take your eyes off Redgrave when she's on the screen. The movie's a bit of a mess (unfortunate recutting) but Redgrave is extraordinary -- this is one of the greatest screen performances ever.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I think all these ladies do solid work -- it's a starry, accomplished slate, the sort we could only dream of by the mid-70s.

But I have to say none of their vehicles impress me alot. Funny Girl is a Susan Hayward picture elevated only by the dynamo that was Streisand in her film debut. The Subject Was Roses is a wan, Inge-like drama that's well-enough written (with shocks of recognition for those Catholics among us) and gives its actors lots of opportunity, but is far too limited in range. Rachel Rachel is perhaps even more pale as drama -- yet another portrait of the sad lonely woman adrift in society -- rescued by its director's clear love for his leading lady. Isadora would be a standard biopic were it not for its trendy late-60s time-jumps -- and of course the pure charisma of Ms. Redgrave.

And I think I dislike The Lion in Winter most of all. I saw Lion onstage, not in its original (very brief) Broadway run, but at the Westport Playhouse with, if you can believe it, Arlene Francis and Martin Gable. The play struck me even then (age 16) as hopelessly glib and shallow, but it played, in that production, as an amusing sort of showbiz backstage story -- historic figures as bitchy, catty divas. The film, however, made the bizarre decision to treat the conflict as serious on a near-Shakespearean level. There's still the big laugh at "Well, what family doesn't have its ups and downs?", but for the most part the film plays as if all this is to be taken as solemn history -- as if it's second cousin to a Man for All Seasons -- and I don't think it remotely merits such treatment. The Academy's suprise snub of the film in early '69 was a rare display of unexpected taste. (Would that they'd shown the same when Gandhi came up for review)

Anyway, all that said...on to the performances. (And, in addition to Catherine Deneuve, Mia Farrow might well have been among the nominees that year)

Streisand was dynamic, surely, but the tiredness of the material prevents my being very enthusiastic about her. I like her better four years on.

Hepburn can't be blamed for what was surely a project-wide decision, but, again, I find her approach to the role too serious to be explicable. This is clearly a better performance than the one for which she won a year earlier, but her victories (in our polling) in the 30s and 50s are plenty, and I don't see why people are so anxious to reward her yet again.

Patricia Neal does all she can to elevate The Subject Was Roses, and wouldn't be an unworthy winner, but she's not as sensational as she was five years earlier, and isn't exactly an actress who rates two Oscars.

I think Isadora is the height of Redgrave charisma -- I'd honestly never quite understood the cheering for her until I'd seen this. She's mesmerizing, and very close to my choice.

But Rachel, Rachel is, for me, the peak of Joanne Woodward's career. Granted, it's designed to be, by a director who's an interested party. But, together, the two pull it off -- Rachel is the epitome of so many characters Woodward had already played or would later play, and here she exists in her purest form, dominating the screen for an hour and a half, and touching the heart of even an audience who had seen this story before. She gets my vote.
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

I have affection for all of these ladies and their performances here, but my vote easily goes to Hepburn who nailed everything that made Eleanor of Aquitaine so fascinating (unlike Glenn Close years later who was a little too droll; the same goes for her co-star Patrick Stewart).

Edited By Aceisgreat on 1253890519
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

I'm sorry Hepburn, but the wonderful Redgrave gets my vote this time.

Catherine Deneuve though gives the best performance eligible for Oscar 1968.

PS. Though not Award worthy I at least thought Andrews was really good in Star! DS.

1. Anne Bancroft - The Graduate - 9 votes
1. Edith Evans - The Whisperers - 9 votes
3. Faye Dunaway - Bonnie and Clyde - 2 votes
4. Audrey Hepburn - Wait Until Dark - 1 vote
4. Katharine Hepburn - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - 1 vote

1. Elizabeth Taylor - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - 15 votes
2. Ida Kaminska - The Shop on Main Street - 3 votes
2. Lynn Redgrave - Georgy Girl - 3 votes
4. Anouke Aimée - A Man and A Woman - 1 vote

1. Julie Christie - Darling - 11 votes
2. Julie Andrews - The Sound of Music - 8 votes
3. Elizabeth Hartman - A Patch of Blue - 2 votes