Acting Bunch Winners of the 60s

1927/28 through 1997

Which is the best acting group of winners?

1960. Burt Lancaster, Elizabeth Taylor, Peter Ustinov, Shirley Jones
No votes
1961. Maximilian Schell, Sophia Loren, George Chakiris, Rita Moreno
No votes
1962. Gregory Peck, Anne Bancroft, Ed Begley, Patty Duke
40%
1963. Sidney Poitier, Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas, Margaret Rutherford
No votes
1964. Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews, Peter Ustinov, Lila Kedrova
No votes
1965. Lee Marvin, Julie Christie, Martin Balsam, Shelley Winters
No votes
1966. Paul Scofield, Elizabeth Taylor, Walter Matthau, Sandy Dennis
50%
1967. Rod Steiger, Katharine Hepburn, George Kennedy, Estelle Parsons
No votes
1968. Cliff Robertson, Katharine Hepburn/Barbra Streisand, Jack Albertson, Ruth Gordon
10%
1969. John Wayne, Maggie Smith, Gig Young, Goldie Hawn
No votes

Total votes: 10

CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Acting Bunch Winners of the 60s

Post by CalWilliam »

I'm realizing how difficult is to find a group that isn't disappointing for some reason or another.

We should probably call Butterfield 8 to find out what is Elizabeth Taylor doing on that group if it doesn't have anything to do with a tracheotomy. Shirley Jones? Fine, but both of them utterly undistinguished. And an Oscar for Lancaster is a need, but who remembers Elmer Gantry when you have The Leopard, Atlantic City (my vote in the other current poll) or Gruppo di famiglia in un interno? As for Ustinov, it's nice there's a winning for a (subtle) performance for a Kubrick movie (or a first kind of Kubrick). No vote at all.

George Chakiris and Ed Begley absolutely spoil two very good bunches.

Then there's the out of common 1963, with the glorious Patricia Neal and Melvyn Douglas (the former winning for a supporting role as well, but who cares when the performance is THAT good?), the delightful to see and hear Margaret Jane Marple Rutherford and Sidney Poitier in a truly pleasant performance, if not a very exciting one. I'm tempted to vote for this year, but my brain dictates there are more compelling choices in sight.

We could name 1964 "The Year of Charisma". Four vivid, intelligent, stimulating performances we all remember no matter their movies. This is my runner-up.

I've yet to see Lee Marvin and Martin Balsam but I assume that can wait without guilty feelings. Shelley Winters is good but tiresome, and Julie Christie is a mannered breath of fresh air. No vote, of course.

1967 is average, and you know it's average when the best here is Rod Steiger in In the Heat of the Night. Kennedy is not that impressive. I've always found Parsons ridiculously over the top at some points, and Katharine Hepburn was just stepping by them.

If 1968 is Big Magilla's choice, it worths consideration, but I'm passing here as well because I've always thought about this one as one of the most awkward groups no matter the tie. I say so because these five performances feel like from a different decade each.

1969 is miscalculated. Maggie Smith and Gig Young are memorable. Goldie Hawn at their side? Really? And I haven't seen this True Grit, but I think I don't need to see John Wayne in True Grit to know it's John Wayne in True Grit if you know what I mean.

So my vote goes to 1966, though I have to say I'm not the number one fan of Sandy Dennis' performance, but it's clear she makes an impression, even if sometimes I want her out of the screen, but the other three are that good, mesmerizing and different at such different levels it's a vote I can only cast with enthusiasm.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Acting Bunch Winners of the 60s

Post by Big Magilla »

This on may be easier, but it's not easy.

1965 was the worst. I didn't agree with any of the winners, not Lee Marvin over Richard Burton, not Julie Christie over Julie Andrews and certainly not Martin Balsam and Shelley Winters over non-nominated Edward G. Robinson and Joan Blondell in The Cincinnati Kid.

1962 - I didn't agree with any of the winners here, either, but unlike 1965, the choices were good ones. Gregory Peck was second only to Peter O'Toole. Anne Bancroft was second only to Katharine Hepburn. Ed Begley wasn't nearly as good as either Terence Stamp or Peter O'Toole, but Patty Duke was the best in her category after Angela Lansbury.

1961 - I agreed with only one winner albeit in a different category. Maximilian Schell was my pick for Best Supporting Actor. My choice for Best Actor was non-nominated Marcello Mastroianni in La Dolce Vita. Sophia Loren was a good choice but not as good as Geraldine Page and Rita Moreno was second best fore me behind Fay Bainter.

1960 - I agreed with just one choice here, Burt Lancaster for Best Actor. Elizabeth Taylor was one of the worst choices ever, while Deborah Kerr, Greer Garson and Shirley MacLaine were all brilliant in different ways. Trevor Howard, nominated in the wrong category should have won Best Supporting Actor over Peter Ustinov and his co-star, Wendy Hiller, should have won over Shirley Jones.

1967 - I agreed with only one here as well, Rod Steiger. Katharine Hepburn lost so many awards she should have won that sentiment can be the only possible reason she won on one of her weakest nominations over the superior work of the other four nominees, most unforgivably, Edith Evans. George Kennedy was fine, but I thought Gene Hackman was better. Hackman's co-star Estelle Parsons was fine, too, but not as fine as Mildred Natwick or non-nominated Marjorie Rhodes in The Family Way.

1969 - I agreed with two here - Maggie Smith and Gig Young, but would have picked Dustin Hoffman over John Wayne and non-nominated Celia Johnson in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie over Goldie Hawn.

1966 - I agreed With Paul Scofield and Elizabeth Taylor, but preferred Robert Shaw and Wendy Hiller to Walter Matthau and Sandy Dennis.

1964 - I agreed with Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews, but preferred non-nominated Fredric March in Seven Days in May and either Edith Evans, Gladys Cooper or Agnes Moorehead to Lila Kedrova.

1963 - I agree with all four winners here, but would have been just as happy with Albert Finney or Paul Newman as I was with Sidney Poitier, Leslie Caron as much as Patricia Neal and Edith Evans as much as Margaret Rutherford. Only Melvyn Douglas was a clear indisputable winner for me.

1968 - This is my pick for the superb inclusion of Jack Albertson and Ruth Gordon and for the only time they got one right with Katharine Hepburn. Even having to share her win with Streisand doesn't spoil it. Cliff Robertson was an OK choice, but the inspired one a win for Peter O'Toole would have been.
CalWilliam
Temp

Acting Bunch Winners of the 60s

Post by CalWilliam »

60s to continue. I think this is a bit easier than 70s, do you think so? Vote and post your opinions. It's a joy creating these polls in a board like this one.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”