Acting Bunch Winners of the 70s

1927/28 through 1997

70's: Which is the best acting group of winners?

1970. George C. Scott, Glenda Jackson, John Mills, Helen Hayes
No votes
1971. Gene Hackman, Jane Fonda, Ben Johnson, Cloris Leachman
13%
1972. Marlon Brando, Liza Minnelli, Joel Grey, Eileen Heckart
20%
1973. Jack Lemmon, Glenda Jackson, John Houseman, Tatum O'Neal
No votes
1974. Art Carney, Ellen Burstyn, Robert De Niro, Ingrid Bergman
7%
1975. Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, George Burns, Lee Grant
No votes
1976. Peter Finch, Faye Dunaway, Jason Robards, Beatrice Straight
20%
1977. Richard Dreyfuss, Diane Keaton, Jason Robards, Vanessa Redgrave
7%
1978. Jon Voight, Jane Fonda, Christopher Walken, Maggie Smith
7%
1979. Dustin Hoffman, Sally Field, Melvyn Douglas, Meryl Streep
27%

Total votes: 15

CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Acting Bunch Winners of the 70s

Post by CalWilliam »

So, we have a three way tie here. Very interesting. If it isn't broken by someone by the time we make the best bunch overall it'll be even more difficult to make the final choice, but yes, 70s were tough.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Some more votes or opinions here would be welcome. I know this is tough, but take your time :D
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not an easy one.

1973 is absolutely the worst with Jack Lemmon's win for the maudlin Save the Tiger and Glenda Jackson's win for the no-class A Touch of Class weighing it down.

1975 is the next worst with George Burns' win for still being alive at 80.

1977 gets a pass because Richard Dreyfuss in The Goodbye Girl was the last one of the nominees I'd vote for that year and Diane Keaton won for the wrong film. She should have won for Looking for Mr. Goodbar, not Annie Hall.

1976 gets a pass for going overboard with Network.

1971 gets a pass because Ididn't think Gene Hackman's performance in The French Connection was all that.

1970 gets a pass because I didn't care all that much for John Mill' performance in Ryan's Daughter.

1974 gets a pass because Art Carney, though good as the last minute replacement for James Cagney in Harry & Tonto, wasn't on the same level as Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino in Chinatown and Godfather II, respectively.

1979 was the only year in which I agreed with all four acting winners, but that was largely because of weak competition.

That leaves 1978 and 1972.

I'm almost tempted to go with 1978 because of the wonderful performances of Jon Voight, Christopher Walken and Maggie Smith but giving an Oscar to Jane Fonda in Coming Home over Ingrid Bergman in Autumn Sonata is too big an injustice for me to take lightly.

Marlon Brando wasn't my choice for Best Actor in 1972, Laurence Olivier was, but his win was hardly an injustice as neither actor was at their career peak that year, and the other three winning performances are as close to perfection as the Oscars ever recognized. It gets my vote.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

as a whole, voted for 1979 but 1976 is a very close second.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

This is not easy, because almost each of these years there is a misplaced or a lesser performance when considering the others. I think this is between 1971 and 1972, but I ended up voting for the latter, because they are four unforgettable performances who haven't dated at all. Iconic, yes, but outstanding. 1971 is pretty impressive as well, with four truly human and beautiful human characters. 1979 also gets consideration.

Pity for 1977. If it weren't for Dreyfuss, it'd be the best group here hands down.

The other ones are kind of disappointing for one reason or another.

1970, with Helen Hayes spoiling a rare group.
1973: category fraud, bad leading choices, and a renown producer winning as an actor. A total mess.
1974: maybe one of the most surprising years of winners ever. Considering the performances, it's quite irregular.
1975: George Burns' and Lee Grant's wins are not the most appealing ever. And Fletcher is supporting.
1976: Very good group with misplaced Straight ruining it all, what doesn't mean her performance is not good.
1978: Without Jane Fonda, it would have been stellar.
Last edited by CalWilliam on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
CalWilliam
Temp

Acting Bunch Winners of the 70s

Post by CalWilliam »

Alongside screenplay polls, I'd like to introduce each week a new and more lightweight ballot in order to find out which group of acting winners is the best (and the worst) since the beginning of the Academy Awards. It's an outcome I've always wanted to know, and after your great each acting category's analysis, now it's time to take a glance at a more general perspective, considering great, good, average or not specially good performances at the same time in groups of four. It's an interesting exercise, believe me. So, those who find this attractive, write down and share your thoughts.

I'll do these at random, as a sign of its exciting trifleness, so 70s to begin.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”