Best Screenplay 1982

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best original and adapted screenplays of 1982?

An Officer and a Gentleman(Douglas Day Stewart)
No votes
Diner(Barry Levinson)
11%
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial(Melissa Mathison)
7%
Gandhi(John Briley)
No votes
Tootsie(Larry Gelbart, Murray Schisgal and Don McGuire)
30%
Das Boot(Wolfgang Petersen)
No votes
Missing(Costa-Gavras and Donald E. Stewart)
24%
Sophie's Choice(Alan J. Pakula)
7%
The Verdict(David Mamet)
4%
Victor/Victoria(Blake Edwards)
17%

Total votes: 46

ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Best Screenplay 1982

Post by ksrymy »

The Original BJ wrote:Kellens, I think it's really great that you're so eager to participate here, and I think it's important for those of us on the board who have been here a while to encourage new members, so I hope you feel very welcome here.

However, we do these polls at a rate of one a week -- it's an issue that has come up time and time again, and collectively it seems to work for everyone time-wise to encourage the most discussion. So, for starters, this poll really shouldn't have posted until Friday, and so we really should hold off on Best Screenplay 1981 until AT LEAST the 27th.

Furthermore, it's always been Big Magilla who's started up each thread, and while I'm sure he would never gripe about someone else doing it, it doesn't feel right to me to have someone new come in and suddenly usurp his position in this regard. So, I would say probably let him take over leading these polls again, and participate as much as you'd like within the discussion.

I hope none of this comes off as overly-critical, because as I said, it's great to have new voices. But sometimes when you're new, it's worth taking a beat to see how an already established group naturally operates to determine the best way to assimilate yourself within it.
Bahahaha, this sounds way familiar from when I joined.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I don't think you did, BJ, and I didn't mean to come off as schoolmarmy as I did.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I really truly was not trying to be mean to anyone, and I apologize if I came off that way.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think we all agree that it's nice to have fresh blood around here. Let's remember that a lot of our long-time members were enthusiastic teenagers when they first started posting, as were many others who moved on to other things over the years. Oscar Guy himself was only 19.

These particular polls were started in 2009 by Jowy_Jillia, a 17-year-old film buff from Sweden. I only took them over when he left. Although others have started them from time to time no one has done so consistently since Jowy so if Kellens wants to take over, he's more than welcome.

We should keep in mind that previous categories were generally posted twice a week, but I agree once per week is optimal for those who need time to catch up with the upcoming selections. What day of the week they appear should be left up to Kellens or whoever is doing the posting, based on his schedule. At this point I would say don't do 1981 until at least next Tuesday.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sorry BJ, but I do think you're being somewhat overly-critical here. It's not the case that Big Magilla has always started these threads and plus, as a board that's...well, maybe it's not DYING, but we do go days between any posts at all at some points, I think we owe it to new members to be a little more welcoming than to call them out publicly for some breach in (real or imagined) board decorum.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

You're 15! I even dared thinking I was the youngest here with 22! That's amazing. Yes, we are the newest here, and I'd like to apologize myself too for some of my polls which deal with subjects already discussed. I'm sure we'll try to know more about this board's dynamic as soon as possible and we'll keep learning from you all.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

Thanks for the hugely polite response The Original BJ. Everyone on this board is so kind and sophisticated. I can only imagine how more immature people would respond on other sites to this situation. BJ, you are such a great writer and I enjoy reading your posts and hearing your thoughts on films. I tend to like a lot of the movies you do, such as Days of Heaven, Nashville, Almost Famous and Ghost World, as well as countless others. I really admire your opinions and everyone else's.
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

Oh ok sorry about that. I just wanted to start it up. I hope I'm not causing chaos around here with my constant posts. I'm only 15 and I'm eager to chat about my passion for film, but I should probably wait a while until I've been here a while longer before I jump ahead too much. My apologies for the inconvenience.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Kellens, I think it's really great that you're so eager to participate here, and I think it's important for those of us on the board who have been here a while to encourage new members, so I hope you feel very welcome here.

However, we do these polls at a rate of one a week -- it's an issue that has come up time and time again, and collectively it seems to work for everyone time-wise to encourage the most discussion. So, for starters, this poll really shouldn't have posted until Friday, and so we really should hold off on Best Screenplay 1981 until AT LEAST the 27th.

Furthermore, it's always been Big Magilla who's started up each thread, and while I'm sure he would never gripe about someone else doing it, it doesn't feel right to me to have someone new come in and suddenly usurp his position in this regard. So, I would say probably let him take over leading these polls again, and participate as much as you'd like within the discussion.

I hope none of this comes off as overly-critical, because as I said, it's great to have new voices. But sometimes when you're new, it's worth taking a beat to see how an already established group naturally operates to determine the best way to assimilate yourself within it.
Kellens101
Temp

Best Screenplay 1982

Post by Kellens101 »

What do you think was the best screenplay of 1982? This year should be a lot easier since none of the movies are obscure at all. As with the last poll, take your time.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”