Best Screenplay 1990

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best original and adapted screenplaysof 1990?

Alice (Woody Allen)
No votes
Avalon (Barry Levinson)
11%
Ghost (Bruce Joel Rubin)
7%
Green Card (Peter Weir)
9%
Metropolitan (Whit Stillman)
22%
Awakenings (Steven Zallian)
No votes
Dances With Wolves (Michael Blake)
No votes
The Grifters (Donald E. Westlake)
20%
GoodFellas (Nicholas Pileggi, Martin Scorsese)
22%
Reversal of Fortune (Nicholas Kazan)
11%

Total votes: 46

ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Best Screenplay 1990

Post by ksrymy »

I'm absolutely elated to see all the love for Metropolitan so far.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Academy chose to replace the WGA's pick of The Grifters in Adapted with Awakenings.
You have The Godfather Part III down as an option over actual nominee The Grifters.
Corrected.

The Academy replaced Godfather III with Awakenings, not The Grifters - a better idea, but I would still have replaced The Oscar winning Dances With Wolves. I rather liked the screenplay for Godfather III. The only thing I didn't like about it was Sofia Coppola's inept acting as Pacino's daughter.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:The Academy chose to replace the WGA's pick of The Grifters in Adapted with Awakenings.
You have The Godfather Part III down as an option over actual nominee The Grifters.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Screenplay 1990

Post by Big Magilla »

Too bad Cinema Paradiso and The Decalogue were ineligible, the former because it had won the Best Foreign Film Oscar the previous year and could therefore not complete in competitive categories the year of its U.S. release, the latter because its showings were not in a commercial theatre in L.A. - that would have to wait for another ten years. Both, however, would have been far better choices than all of the original screenplays the Academy chose to honor. Also, better than most, if not all of the nominees, were Jesus of Montreal[/I,] Longtime Companion and Miller's Crossing. Thankfully the Academy chose to nominate Metropolitan over the WGA's pick of Pretty Woman which was no better than Ghost, Alice or Green Card, clever but hardly ingenious works, all. For me it comes down to Avalon and Metropolitan with the freshness of Metropolitan winning out.

The Academy chose to replace the WGA's pick of The Grifters in Adapted with Awakenings. I would have nominated both over Dances With Wolves, which I thought had the most confused screenplay of all ten nominees. The win, though, comes down to a toss-up between Reversal of Fortune and Good Fellas with GoodFellas winning out.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”