Holly Hunter, The Piano
Angela Bassett, What's Love Got to Do With It
Michelle Pfeiffer, The Age of Innocence
Debra Winger, Shadowlands
Emma Thompson, The Remains of the Day
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Such an easy choice. Of the 10 best actress winners of the 90's, Hunter outshines all the rest.

Stockard was ok, but I don't understand the petistle that so many put her on for this performance.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Voted for Hunter as well.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Very strong year. Pfeiffer and Binoche should have been nominated.

Thompson is excellent, but Hopkins totally owns the film.

Bassett is OK in a medicore film

Personally I hated Six degrees os Separation, so can't vote for Channing

Saw Shadowlnads a long time ago, and don't really recall nything special from Winger.

Voted for Hunter.

Edited By mlrg on 1262368728
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This was a strong year for lead actresses. For me it was a tossup between Bassett and Hunter, but Hunter already won my award for what I think was an even better performance in Broadcast News so I voted for Bassett.

Others I liked this year were Debra Winger in two fims, A Dangerous Woman (her Golden Globe nominated performance) as well as Shadowlands; Juliette Binoche in Blue; Michelle Pfeiffer in The Age of Innocence (the best thing about the film) and Thompson who is splendid as usual in Remains of the Day.

I was less impressed with Channing who I found a bit too theatrical in repeating her acclaimed stage performance.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I have only seen three here (haven't seen Bassett or Winger), but the other three are wonderfully strong choices. Thompson follows up Howards End with an even better performance here, in a film that is a lot darker and a lot deeper. However, I think Hopkins outshines her.

To me, this is between two powerhouse performances from Channing and Hunter. I need to see The Piano again (I feel like I was too young to completely grasp it when I first saw it), and Six Degrees of Separation is a personal favorite, but I would give this to Channing. The alternations she goes through in the film, being able to keep control of her upper class ways while losing faith in everything she believes in, is an astonishment to watch (her two co-stars are almost as good, and should have each garnered Best Actor nominations here too). Plus, I can vote for Hunter in the other category this year for a wonderfully fluffy performance.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

A Strong lineup, but still it could have been a lot better if they would replace Winger and Channing for Pfeiffer and Swinton.

But there's only one winner this year and that's Holly Hunter, who's one of the best best actress winner ever with this performance.

My Ballot:
Bassett - What's Love Got To Do With It
Hunter - The Piano
Pfeiffer - The Age of Innocence
Swinton - Orlando
Thompson - Remains of the Day

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”