Best Screenplay 1997

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best original and adapted screenplays of 1997?

As Good As It Gets (Mark Andrus, James L. Brooks)
No votes
Boogie Nights (Paul Thomas Anderson)
29%
Deconstructing Harry (Woody Allen)
4%
The Full Monty (Simon Beaufoy)
7%
Good Will Hunting (Matt Damon, Ben Affleck)
9%
Donnie Brasco (Paul Attanasio)
7%
L.A. Confidential (Brian Helgeland, Curtis Hanson)
22%
The Sweet Hereafter (Atom Egoyan)
18%
Wag the Dog (Hilary Henkin, David Mamet)
No votes
The Wings of the Dove (Hossein Amini)
4%

Total votes: 45

Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: Best Screenplay 1997

Post by Heksagon »

Woo-hoo, caught up again.

This year, both categories are solid. Nothing totally out of place here. My favorite film of the year is L.A. Confidential, so it’s my obvious choice for Adapted. In the Original category, I’m going with Deconstructing Harry, which is one of Woody Allen’s cleverest films. Boogie Nights would be a close alternative, but I haven’t seen it since the 90s.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Screenplay 1997

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorting out the differences between this year's WGA and Oscar nominees, I'd say it was a draw.

In Original Screenplay, both nominated Good Will Hunting; As Good As It Gets; Boogie Nights and The Full Monty, all good choices. They differed on their choice, neither of them selecting a particularly good nominee. The WGA picked James Cameron's medicore script for Titanic, the weakest of that film's assets, while the Academy picked Woody Allen's rather off-putting dark comedy, Deconstructing Harry. My choice for the fifth slot would have been Paul Rudinick's hilarious In & Out.

In Adapted Screenplay they agreed on L.A. Confidential; Donnie Brasco; The Wings of the Dove and Wag the Dog. They both made a superb fifth choice, the WGA selecting The Ice Storm and the Academy selecting The Sweet Hereafter. I would have included both and ignored the rather lame Wag the Dog.

For the win, I agree with both Good Will Hunting and L.A. Confidential.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”