By the way, here is a video of Redgrave's acceptance speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAcOsK9gRLk

And here is a video of what Paddy Chayefsky had to say later that evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JupkXrn1ahU
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actress 1977

Post by Big Magilla »

As of 12/10/10, Vanessa Redgrave had 25 votes and Tuesday Weld had 2. Redgrave had the most votes of any supporting actress through 2009. I haven't checked other polls, but I'm confident that with now 30 votes, Redgrave is still ahead of everyone else.

For more information, look here:

http://uaadb.cinemasight.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=638
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Whatever you say, Il Duce.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Ok, mein fuhrer.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Don't know how to put this any more succinctly.

I don't care. It's not getting changed. End of story.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

This is a really interesting thread....SAID NO ONE EVER.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

If you can access the database with proper managements tools, deleting the false votes could done with just a single SQL sentence, so it wouldn't be a case of eliminating votes one by one. Getting the tools and the connection would be the tough part, and I was not sure if you already had those or not.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Actually this poll only goes back three years to August 26, 2010, although the damage was done to other polls which may be as old as seven years.

While I agree it would be nice to have the extraneous votes extricated, I don't know if it would be worth the time it would take to do that. However, it seems to me that there should be a simpler fix than having the software search for names corresponding to votes and then going in and eliminating them one by one. Perhaps the software could be tweaked to refresh vote totals in all polls by counting only those votes that correspond to active (non-banned) members.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This poll is over 7 years old, so this incident may have happened longer ago than I remember. Whether the information is accessible or not, I don't care. It isn't as if the results were somehow skewed because of extra votes. There is still a far-and-away winner. Additionally, I would have to dig to find out which were valid votes and which weren't and quite frankly, for a poll that's this old, it would be one of the lowest things on my priority list.
Wesley Lovell
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Somewhere, there is a database where the votes are stored and which can be edited somehow. If your software doesn't allow this, then there is almost certainly some other software which does; either the forum developer/vendor has something, or - depending on the database - you can download some software freely from the Internet.

Whether it's worth the effort, I don't know. I don't understand why anyone would think it's a good idea to manipulate the results of an innocent poll this way, so as a matter principle it would be great to get rid of the false votes.

(Actually, as I read Magilla's comment in the "Best Picture 2000" topic, I realised that this is a slightly different type of poll, so it may actually be impossible to accurately fix the votes)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Votes cannot be deleted. You can personally change your own votes, but you cannot change others' votes. I cannot even see how individuals voted in polls. It's the limitation of the software. Besides, it's not like these votes for Quinn Cummings suddenly appeared. They've been around for a very VERY long time as those users were banned well more than a year ago.
Wesley Lovell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote: The bogus i.d.s were blocked,

This is good. But, like Heksagon, even I thought that there could be a way to block votes from the deleted i.d.s. And I just happened to check this thread - but I can imagine that the same can have happened in other polls.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

That can't be the case. If I go to a poll where I have voted, I can see how my votes went. So the information linking the votes to the voter has to be somewhere, in which case it can be fixed. Who maintains the site? Is it OscarGuy or is the forum maintenance and database "rented" from somewhere?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:One moment... Who are the ten who voted for Quinn Cummings?! Oh ok, must be the same who voted for The Color Purple... :)
No, it was someone gaming the system who created ten separate i.d.s or more and voted the same choice ten times or more in various polls, which is why I stopped updating the results on the old polls.
Oh ok. Well but his votes could be deleted then.
Once cast, votes can't be deleted. They can be deducted from running totals, but that's tricky, too, because it's impossible to determine with absolute certainty which were legitimate votes and which weren't. All we know for sure is that we received 10 or more new "members" who were traced back to the same computer or computers and within a short period of time after that we started getting large numbers of votes for people in these polls that had previously gotten little or no recognition. The bogus i.d.s were blocked, but the bogus votes remain. If you want to know what the legitimate totals were before all this happened you can consult the totals thread.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:One moment... Who are the ten who voted for Quinn Cummings?! Oh ok, must be the same who voted for The Color Purple... :)
No, it was someone gaming the system who created ten separate i.d.s or more and voted the same choice ten times or more in various polls, which is why I stopped updating the results on the old polls.
Oh ok. Well but his votes could be deleted then.
It's mojoe92.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”