Next Poll?

1927/28 through 1997
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Next Poll?

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
I'll set up a poll with the selections of just song; song and score and screenplay and see how it comes out.

The gays here will all vote for song :D

Seriously, this is a good idea - I'd probably add Cinematography, but those three are ok.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We can take another poll to determine the next one but I thought we had settled on song. It was going to be song and score, but then someone grumbled about score. There was an argument against screenplay as being too close to picture and director.

I'll set up a poll with the selections of just song; song and score and screenplay and see how it comes out.

I also want to do polls closing out the ones we've already done by decade: Picture; Actor; Actress; Supporting Actor; Supporting Actress; Director from amongst our top picks for each year and then have a poll for each category listing the top picks from each decade to arrive at an overall favorite in each one. We can do this concurrently with no research necessary as we've already done that.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I'd like to do Song and Score because they're all really accessible, but everyone else wants cinematography.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Can we come to a consensus on what the next category will be, and when we will start it?

I know I'd like to try to catch up on some movies before we start, so that I can participate as much as possible, because I've really enjoyed these historical discussions.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Given the number of scoring nominees some years, I'm not convinced that it's that much easier then screenplay; nor as interesting.

I like the idea of cinematography, though I would throw my hat into the ring with screenplay.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Mister Tee wrote:Eric, do you feel competent to judge cinematography on a bunch of 30s/40s movies you've only seen on television? There are some (say, The Third Man) where the achievement is pretty obvious. But in some cases I feel like I'd be stabbing pretty blindly.
I don't personally feel competent to discuss practically any Oscar category earlier than roughly the mid-1960s (more realistically, the early '70s), but you do raise a valid point. And this is another category where we'd have the issue of figuring out what to do about all the B&W vs. color years.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Are you sure about Best Song..? This is your board and not mine, so it's ok of course... but I doubt that this - the least interesting Oscar category ever - can lead to very interesting discussions. Still, I'll love to read insightful comments on movies like Madron - the first and hopefully last Israeli western - and Mondo Cane...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The consensus seems to be for Best Song next. I'm not sure when we'll start. If the Board is busy, we'll wait until after the Oscars but if this proves to be an usually light year in the end we can start sooner.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I was kind of busy when this came up, but a few comments:

If we were to do screenplay next, I'd rather do it as BJ suggested -- the original Academy categories, and one at a time. Even at that, there are going to be a lot of gaps. I took a look, and saw it's 1934 before I've seen every screenplay nominee -- and through the 40s and even 50s there are a fair number I've never been able to track down.

On top of that, what people are saying is correct: screenplay would inevitably cover some of the same territory we've just handled. Best song would have the definite advantage of being almost a completely fresh topic.

Eric, do you feel competent to judge cinematography on a bunch of 30s/40s movies you've only seen on television? There are some (say, The Third Man) where the achievement is pretty obvious. But in some cases I feel like I'd be stabbing pretty blindly.

I'd take the side of "Let's ease up a bit" during prime Oscar season. Right now these polls are the lifeblood of the board. But from December through early March we're going to have critics' groups/guilds/one-by-one category discussions on pretty much a daily basis, so we could use a break.

All that said: I'm fine with whatever.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's what I originally wrote:
And for those who aren't aware, Cinema Sight is running two sets of Oscar-related polls each week. On Thursday evening is currently score (I've done several others to date) and on Fridays are the Face-Offs, which pit two winners against each other and will eventually be used to create a type of bracket battle. All of which are archived and permit you to vote weeks after the poll started.
My second post was to provide links to my referenced polls. Nowhere did I say that they were exactly like the ones we were doing here. I was advising those who weren't aware that they existed that they had the opportunity to vote in other polls if they wanted.

And I don't read all posts, Reza, so I didn't ignore the question on purpose. However, it's unlikely I will ever pick them back up again considering how long they've been out of circulation. Most of the participants probably aren't interested anymore.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Cinemanolis wrote:Also another reminder, what happened to the Best of the Best and Nomination Elimination games? If i recall correctly we only had 3-4 years to finish them and we stoped for no apparent reason. Any chance to revive them?
Manolis your question has been ignored yet again by Oscar Guy just as Alex felt she was ignored in Fatal Attraction. Maybe you need to pull a bunny rabbit on him.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, they dont seem to have anything to do with these we are talking about here.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Those polls are comparing winners to winners, not nominees to nominees, right?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I realized I should have just posted links to make it easier.

This is to the regular weekly polls on various subjects.

http://www.cinemasight.com/polls/

This is to the Friday Face-Off posts.

http://www.cinemasight.com/category/tri ... -face-off/
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Screenplays should be done sooner or later, true, but it would be, in more ways than one, too similar to Best Picture and Director. Cinematography, Editing or even Costume Design would be easier, faster, and, simply, "different".

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”