35%

Total votes: 62

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Picture and Director 1990

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I it's a perfectly good piece of Hollywood hokum and gave me more pleasure then any of the other nominees.

To be completely honest I'm not sure that these are very good reasons to vote for a movie... But then this is the board which thinks The Color Purple is the best movie of its year (you can check if you don't believe me!).
The best of the nominated films which isn't necessarily the same thing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm glad. I think The Color Purple is a great film. You won't shame me over it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:I it's a perfectly good piece of Hollywood hokum and gave me more pleasure then any of the other nominees.

To be completely honest I'm not sure that these are very good reasons to vote for a movie... But then this is the board which thinks The Color Purple is the best movie of its year (you can check if you don't believe me!).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:I thought about voting for Ghost just to read the reaction, but decided I'd actually vote for the best of the nominees.
I voted for Ghost simply because it's a perfectly good piece of Hollywood hokum and gave me more pleasure then any of the other nominees.

Also voted for Stephen Frears in The Grifters. Best of the year though were the Wild at Heart and The Witches.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I thought about voting for Ghost just to read the reaction, but decided I'd actually vote for the best of the nominees.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieFan
Graduate

Post by MovieFan »

I don't think any director that year came close to the sheer innovation and vision that Scorsese brought to Goodfellas. You can see its influence on the 90s, particularly Pulp Fiction and Boogie Nights. I did love The Grifters though. Dances with Wolves is the kind of film that looks impressive on the surface but I didn't find their to be much substance in Kevin Costner's direction though I admire his effort in getting a film no one wanted to make made.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Picture and Director 1990

Post by Big Magilla »

I've probably gone round and round on 1990 more than other year. I've had a love/hate relationship with two of the year's Best Picture/Director nominees for almost a quarter century.

I find a lot of Dances With Wolves to be tedious and silly, yet at the end of the day it was and is one of few successful films to meaningfully portray the everyday lives of Native Americans. Kevin Costner is no one's idea of a great director, yet he pulls this mammoth production together as well as anyone could have.

The Godfather Part III is several notches down from the first two films in Francis Ford Coppola's trilogy, but taken on its own it is an exciting, well-made gangster film. The problem with it, though, is a big one, the casting of Sophia Coppola in the pivotal role of Al Pacino and Diane Keaton's daughter. Granted Papa Coppola was left in a bind when Winona Ryder dropped out at the last minute, but surely there were other actresses available who could act. Casting his inexperienced, untalented daughter in this role remains the worst case of nepotism in the history of the movies.

The Grifters and Reversal of Fortune remain riveting entertainments and should have been among the five films nominated for Best Picture. At least the directors' branch got it right in naming both Stephen Frears and Barbet Schroeder among the nominees.

The one film of the year that would likely merit consideration for Best Picture in just about any year is Martin Scorsese's best New York gangster film, GoodFellas which gets my vote for both Best Picture and Director.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”