Tatum O'Neal - Paper Moon
12%
Sylvia Sidney - Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
22%

Total votes: 41

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I usually don't let category placement affect my voting preferences (unless the actor/actress personally campaigned to be in a certain category for obviously tactical reasons) but Tatum O'Neal is such a lead that I think it's ludicrous to vote for her in Supporting, wonderful as she is in Paper Moon.

Sylvia Sidney had a very small role in the god-awful Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams and all she had to do was be very unpleasant -- so, in effect, the old crone was playing herself. Doing what comes naturally.

Linda Blair -- she's basically a prop for a lot of cool effects. She supported Dennis Kucinich for president in the last two elections, so she has a place in my heart, but an Oscar is pretty unthinkable.

Madeline Kahn is fine in Paper Moon.

From the time I first saw American Graffiti I was blown away by Candy Clark, and thought she would be the likely Supporting Actress winner. All these years later, I still cherish her sweet and funny performance, and she gets my enthusiastic vote.

My Own Top 5:
1. Candy Clark in American Graffiti
2. Maria Schneider in Last Tango In Paris
3. Mackenzie Phillips in American Graffiti
4. Regina Baff in The Paper Chase
5. P.J. Johnson in Paper Moon
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Yes O' Neal is clearly a lead but amongst the nominees I like her the best, with Thulin a close second.

My top 5:

Tatum O'Neal, Paper Moon
Ingrid Thulin, Cries and Whispers
Sylvia Sidney, Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
Madeline Kahn, Paper Moon
Linda Blair, The Exorcist

Edited By Reza on 1284543102
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I haven't seen Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams and I will likely never. Candy Clark is just fine in American Graffiti. I adore Madeline Kahn. She's lots of fun here, but I prefer her in What's Up, Doc?, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein. Linda Blair's earlier scenes are the more resonating for me, and one can understand why voters were turned off her front-runner candidacy.

Then there's Tatum O'Neal, as much a lead as has ever won in this category, and for me the clear winner. I don't care how many takes it took her to deliver this fantastic performance.

I'll abstain because Sidney may very well be a fine supporting performance, but I doubt she could sway me from O'Neal.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Most critics and pundits agree Valentina Cortese gave far and away the best supporting actress performance of 1973 as the actress who keeps forgetting her lines in Day for Night which opened the N.Y. Film Festival in September to great fanfare and began its commercial run on October 7th, but for some unfathomable reason did not open in L.A. until 1974.

With Cortese out of the running, veteran Sylvia Sidney, making a comeback as Joanne Woodward's highly opinionated mother in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams, seemed the next logical choice, but that was before Paramount decided decided to promote Tatum O'Neal in the supporting category for what was really a leading role opposite her real life father, Ryan.

For a time it looked as though she and fellow child actress Linda Blair as the little girl possessed by the devil in The Exorcist might cancel each other out, but that was before Mercedes McCambridge made such a fuss about being the uncredited voice of the devil, who, let's face it, had all the best lines coming out of the little girl's mouth.

With Madeline Kahn's role clearly subordinate to O'Neal's and Candy Clark more or less just along for the ride (pun intended) in American Graffiti, it seemed that O'Neal was going to be Sidney's only real competition.

O'Neal's win was extremely popular at the time. There was no immediate controversy over her category placement. Everybody post-Oscar was talking about the streaker and Katharine Hepburn's only Oscar appearance, not the winners, none of whom generated all that much excitement.

Among the year's best overlooked supporting actress performances: Kate Reid in A Delicate Balance, Geraldine Fitzgerald in The Last American Hero and Celeste Holm in Tom Sawyer.

I cast my vote for Sidney.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1281674097

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”