12%
Sylvia Sidney - Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
22%

Total votes: 41

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actress 1973

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:Oops, I meant to type paternal.
Actually I didn't know for sure whether it was Ryan O'Neal's father or Joanna Moore's, but since Ryan had custody and Joanna didn't, I assumed it was his. Further research reveals that Joanna was orphaned as a child, so it has to be writer Charles O'Neal and Ryan's mother, his wife actress Patricia O'Neal, who accompanied Tatum to the ceremony..
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Oops, I meant to type paternal.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Maternal, paternal - it was her grandfather!
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, this man who accompanies Tatum to the stage is her paternal grandfather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf2J8hktI5Y
Last edited by Greg on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:According to A Paper Life, Ryan O'Neal punched Tatum in the face when he found out that she had been nominated for an Oscar. And then, of course, she attended the ceremony alone (and won).
It must have been one of those false memories induced by too much psychiatric probing. She was accompanied to the stage by her paternal grandfather. Ryan was in England filming Barry Lyndon. Kubrick wouldn't let him off to attend the ceremony. Tatum called him long distance from backstage to give him the news. The following year father and daughter opened the ceremony with the presentation of the Best Supporting Actor award to Robert De Niro.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

According to A Paper Life, Ryan O'Neal punched Tatum in the face when he found out that she had been nominated for an Oscar. And then, of course, she attended the ceremony alone (and won).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
flipp525
Laureate

Re:

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:We should point out that the combined endorsements of Magilla, Damien, Italiano and myself -- certainly the most prolix of the commenters -- weren't enough to push Mildred Natwick over the top. But it may be that some of the postings push leaners in one direction or another.
This, or Sylvia Sidney is a more beloved actress than I thought, because I will never, ever believe that those votes she got here all come from people who have seen her movie (most of those who have seen it would probably NOT vote for her - Eric's opinion on her performance is quite right). And yes, Reza, I think that Big Magilla can influence some here - and I don't have any problem with that.admire.
I actually own Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams on VHS and concur that Sylvia Sydney is gone from the picture as soon as she comes in. She makes a nice impression and her character serves to bring out some of the neuroses of Joanne Woodward's Manhattan ice queen. (I notice that the youtube clips fail to include her actual death scene which has, perhaps, her most memorable line in the film). But to actually vote for what she does in the moribund (and, let's be honest, homophobic) Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams over the perfect creation of someone like Madeline Kahn or Tatum O'Neal (who is, albeit, incorrectly placed in support) is simply unthinkable.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

was candy clarke ever expected to win? like from press clippings or anything? my vote is to Blair
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yep.
flipp525
Laureate

Re:

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:My own feeling when I first saw the film was that both O'Neals were strong possibliltes for lead nominations and both Madeline Kahn and CCH Pouinder (whom only Damien seems to remember) were both strong candidates for supporting actress.
I think you mean P.J. Johnson.

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

This is a very unfair lineup. Kahn deserves my vote.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm not going to lie and deny that vitriolic dismissals of some performances from certain quarters are apt to send my vote immediately their way when I would otherwise waffle a bit. (Best case in point I can think of is best actress 1974, when the anti-Rowlands gangpile tipped my vote unequivocally, whereas Burstyn and Dunaway were probably closer contenders than I gave them credit for being.)

In this case, I'm not reacting against the UAADB inversion of what EW always calls "the babe factor" in supporting actress races -- call it "the biddy factor" -- but rather just assessing a nomination for an OK-not-great performance as the sentimental motion it clearly was.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think I have that much influence over people's choices. In fact, the opposite is often the case.

I am often amused to find that the performance I either dismiss or flat out rant against is the first one to pick up a vote or two. In the case of Shelley Winters in A Patch of Blue, she won by a landslide.

Sylvia Sidney is good in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams, not great, though her fatal heart attack which begins during a screening of Ingmar Bergman's Wild Strawbereis is one of the screen's most realistic death scenes. It proves to be the catalyst for Joanne Woodward's nervous breakdown which dominates the rest of the film.

The votes she got in 1973 may have been from those who remembered her from her 1930s films, but today's audiences know her from Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks! and the TV movie, An Early Frost so if anyone is voting for her sight unseen it is likely because of those performances.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sidney was in the film for 10 minutes maximum in a pretty terrible film. I really don't understand all these votes for her.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote:We should point out that the combined endorsements of Magilla, Damien, Italiano and myself -- certainly the most prolix of the commenters -- weren't enough to push Mildred Natwick over the top. But it may be that some of the postings push leaners in one direction or another.
This, or Sylvia Sidney is a more beloved actress than I thought, because I will never, ever believe that those votes she got here all come from people who have seen her movie (most of those who have seen it would probably NOT vote for her - Eric's opinion on her performance is quite right). And yes, Reza, I think that Big Magilla can influence some here - and I don't have any problem with that.

Actually, these polls mirror the Oscars in more ways than one - even there, after all, not all the members of the Academy vote after having seen each nominee; they are often influenced by external factors, by the reviews, or even simply by the opinion of those around them whom they admire.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”