Vivien Merhcant - Alfie
14%
Geraldine Page - You're a Big Boy Now
No votes

Total votes: 29

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:I can't speak for Magilla/Damien/Mike Kelly, or others who were around at the time, but the Page nomination came as a huge surprise to me. She's funny in the film, but it had been, I believe, an only-in-LA Oscar qualifier, and one without much critical support. Of course, Page was pretty good at getting out of the blue nods -- see: Pope of Greenwich Village.

This came out while I was stationed in Germany. Although we got a surprising number of recently released films on base, both good and bad (Alfie was one, the godawful An American Dream was another), but by the time I left in May or June, 1967 we still hadn't gotten this one so it was one of the first films I wanted to see when I got home.

I thought at the time that Page was the best thing about it but that wasn't saying much. She was, at the time, at the height of her critical acclaim having starred in the December, 1966 TV production of Truman Captoe's A Christmas Memory for which she won an Emmy.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1279651332
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I can't speak for Magilla/Damien/Mike Kelly, or others who were around at the time, but the Page nomination came as a huge surprise to me. She's funny in the film, but it had been, I believe, an only-in-LA Oscar qualifier, and one without much critical support. Of course, Page was pretty good at getting out of the blue nods -- see: Pope of Greenwich Village.

I suppose Lagarde was the acting standout in Hawaii, but that's like winning Smartest GOP Leader right now. It seemed more a matter of good casting than impressive acting.

The other three are all solid candidates. I'm fond of Wendy Hiller, but I already voted for her back in '58, and I don't think her role here is as distinctive as her other two competitors. Would, however, have voted for her in '65.

Sandy Dennis, as her star rose in the mid/late 60s, was exposed as largely a bundle of mannerisms, but early on she seemed like something new and interesting. I think this is clearly her film zenith, and I can't argue too fiercely with the Academy choice.

But even back then I was more impressed with Vivien Merchant's quiet dignity -- her refusal to play the victim even when she'd clearly been used and thrown away by Caine. A recent re-watch confirmed this view. Close call, but I'll cast the (so far) one vote for Merchant.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Easy vote for me -- Sandy Dennis is spot on as the emotional basketcase. She defined this role -- hard to imagine anyone else in this part.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

My choices for 1966 are:

1. Sandy Dennis for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
2. Vanessa Redgrave for Blow Up
3. Susan Bernard for Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill
4. Wendy Hiller for A Man for All Seasons
5. Patricia Jessel for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Edited By Precious Doll on 1279609893
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Dame Wendy wins this hands down for me.

LaGaarde and Merchant are both very good. I haven't seen Virginia Woolf in a very long time and my memories of Sandy Dennis' annoying tics come from her subsequent performances, although truth be told she was rather annoying in this film too.........but it was probably the character she played. I will give her the benefit of the doubt until I re-visit Woolf and keep her on my list.

Page has been better elsewhere.

My top 5:

Wendy Hiller, A Man for All Seasons
Susannah York, A Man For All Seasons
Vivien Merchant, Alfie
Charlotte Rampling, Georgy Girl
Sandy Dennis, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'd replace Geraldine Page's wackadoodle mother in You're a Big Boy Now with Margaret Leighton's uptight missionary in 7 Women, but otherwise I have no complaints about this year's nominees.

Sandy Dennis played so many neurotic wimps in her career it's difficult to remember that she was actually good the first time she played one in the landmark Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? but I like the other three more.

Non-professional Jocelyne Lagarde easily steals Hawaii from megastars Julie Andrews and Max von Sydow as the native queen but a nomination would seem to be enough for her one acting job.

Vivien Merchant is heart-breaking as the married woman whose affair with Michel Caine ends in tragedy in Alfie and would be my choice were it not for the splendid Wendy Hiller as the uncomprehending wife of martyr/saint Thomas More in A Man for All Seasons. She enthusiastically gets my vote.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1279608209

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”