Vivien Merhcant - Alfie
14%
Geraldine Page - You're a Big Boy Now
No votes

Total votes: 29

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think this must be the lamest argument in the history of the board. Italiano didn't say anything that hasn't been said in some form already. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

At any rate, I would've voted for Sandy Dennis. But since Harry Goldfarb accidentally voted for her even though he wanted to vote for Wendy Hiller, I'll vote for Hiller to offset his mistake. The best description I ever heard of Hiller was that she looks like she drank vinegar for breakfast, and she sure does in A Man For All Seasons.

Edited By dws1982 on 1279846575
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

OscarGuy wrote:Why post when you'll just point to how wrong they are because they don't share your "factual" opinion about the race.
Just because we can! And ´cause we can always: a)accept a critic and b) give to the eventual critic the importance it deserves. I mean... I can say a Zillion times that I do like The Hours and I defend Kidman's award, no matter if almost everyone here might think that I'm insane. It's about likes, that's all... If someone calls me retarded cause I just mistook Geraldine Page with Geraldine Chaplin I can laugh about it or I can explain myself or I can excuse myself, etc... But considering not posting just because someone might judge your choice or opinion is locking yourself in a personal prison of fear and anticipated rejection.

I'll keep posting my personal choices even if they're not everyone´s apple pie simply because maybe I'm so firm about them that I couldn´t care less about people's take on them. Or maybe cause I can learn something about people with different opinion, wider experiences or bigger backgrounds when it comes to judge art in general. As I said before... this should be funny. Keep it simple man! You can always count on Magillas charming and respectful approach and you can easily not care a thing about Italiano's judgments. But it's on you man, not in the others around you.

I come to this place on a regular basis, even if I don't post, cause this is a very nutritive site on a personal favorite matter. I don't speak a lot cause when it comes to movies, specially from some years ago, I'm far from an erudite. But it's always nice to read posts from Italiano, Magilla, Damien, Flipp, Yours, DWS, FilmFan, Snick's Guy, etc... simply cause I can learn a thing or two about somebody else´s opinion. That´s all... And by the way, thanks to everyone around here (you for creating it and everyone else for keeping it poignant, meaningful and interesting with their voices) for this place...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You mean like every time you belittle someone as being a "Damienite" or that we can't possibly have our own opinion because Damien has spoken? Or when you pick on Magilla for preferring older actresses? And if I had the time to go through every one of your posts, I'm sure I could find even more instances.

And what of those people who don't post their thoughts here, every time you complain about them voting without knowing their reason for voting and simply assume why, you are in essence ridiculing their choices. And that could very well be why some of these people DON'T post? Why post when you'll just point to how wrong they are because they don't share your "factual" opinion about the race.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Halle Berry was fine, it's just that Sissy Spacek was better, IMO.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:But you assume information, Magilla. Who's to say that the people who are voting have seen a majority of the nominees and feel confident their vote is going to the right candidate. In nearly every situation I've voted where I've seen less than the full list of nominees, I have almost always ended up voting for the candidate who ends up with the most support from those who do comment. Does that make my selections more right? No, it just means I've happened to have agreed with the majority.
Someone please translate this.

I'm a bit tired of being insulted by you, Oscar Guy (egoist, now?). But let's be clear: I've never "ridiculed" anyone here - I mean, Big Magilla and Reza for example often pick someone I would never agree on, yet I read their posts with interest - I always like different points of view. Have I ever "belittled" Mister Tee or Damien? Tell me when and I will admit that you are right, but even when I don't agree with their choices I can see their reasons.

Then there are the truly absurd choices, and yes. I can occasionally make fun of them (never in these threads though, at least till now). But why should one be so sensitive? It's not like we are Gods who can only be taken seriously.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But what would happen had someone seen all of the nominees and voted for an actress everyone else thought was awful? You really don't think that certain individuals (not just Italiano), even after reading that response, would denigrate the choice. Trust me, if I shared my admiration of Halle Berry in Monster's Ball I would probably have been lynched for it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm not assuming anything. I used words like "think" and 'might", not absolutes.

And no one has belittled anyone's choices in these polls, though the almost universal dismissals of the great Peggy Wood hit awfluly close to home. :(
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But you assume information, Magilla. Who's to say that the people who are voting have seen a majority of the nominees and feel confident their vote is going to the right candidate. In nearly every situation I've voted where I've seen less than the full list of nominees, I have almost always ended up voting for the candidate who ends up with the most support from those who do comment. Does that make my selections more right? No, it just means I've happened to have agreed with the majority.

And no one can see the results before they vote, so it's not like they can purposely vote one way or another and maybe the people who don't post are the ones who, like me, don't want to be ridiculed by the other posters on the board just because we disagree with everyone else. Italiano is one of the most belittling people on this board, so with him constantly bitching about voters, it's no wonder no one wants to post their opinions for fear they'll be torn to shred by the egoist.
Wesley Lovell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Really, I should just have called him out for being catty. What's the Italian onomatopoeia for "meow"?

Quite frankly, you're right. Italiano isn't worth the breath. I shouldn't let him get to me and I'll try just to ignore him. He reminds me a lot of Sarah Palin. Always certain he's right even when he's wrong and can never admit when he's wrong.
I would agree his personal attack was unwarranted, but there was nothing wrong in his response to my comment.
Are Oscar Guy's personal attacks more justified? And they always come first.

But as you pointed out, only someone with serious psychological problems (and I'm not referring to Oscar Guy of course, his case is different) could find something wrong in my response to you. Here, I voted for Dennis - so I could have easily defended the final result; still I realize even too well that most of those who voted for her probably didn't see all the nominated performances.

I mentioned Moreno (that you didn't vote for, nor did I) because I honestly think that if people had seen at least The Children's Hour and The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone they might have voted for another actress; but of course these are litte-seen movies nowadays, while West Side Story is still very popular.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I just want to say that I look forward to appreciate Italiano's insight and participation on this board -- it wouldn't be the same without him here.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:I did it and got it wrong! Intended to vote for Hiller but mechanically voted for Dennis. I'm a sucker for period dramas, and while WAOVW is higher in my esteem than AMFAS, I find Hiller extremely compelling in her few scenes. Dennis was an obvious and I knew she was going to win this easily so I had decided to go for Hiller.
Practice makes perfect. We could have used your vote for Hiller. :cool:

There is no rule that you have to see four of the five nominees to vote but it helps to have seen more than just the winner or the performer in the most popular film.
:;): Then count it... In the paper Dennis have 12 votes against Hiller's 4 but "actually" is 11 against 5!
OK.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Really, I should just have called him out for being catty. What's the Italian onomatopoeia for "meow"?

Quite frankly, you're right. Italiano isn't worth the breath. I shouldn't let him get to me and I'll try just to ignore him. He reminds me a lot of Sarah Palin. Always certain he's right even when he's wrong and can never admit when he's wrong.
I would agree his personal attack was unwarranted, but there was nothing wrong in his response to my comment.

It's not that his choice doesn't always win - his wins more often than mine I think, though I haven't studied the results that closely to be sure. It's that the most popular choice usually wins because, as he thinks, and I'm inclined to agree, that people who've only seen one or two of the nominees are voting for those choices when had they seen most or all of the nominees might have voted differently. But then not everyone comments, so we don't know for sure.

While the poll results may not necessarily be that interesting, the comments, by those who make them, are always worth reading and quite helpful in broadening our perceptions.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:I did it and got it wrong! Intended to vote for Hiller but mechanically voted for Dennis. I'm a sucker for period dramas, and while WAOVW is higher in my esteem than AMFAS, I find Hiller extremely compelling in her few scenes. Dennis was an obvious and I knew she was going to win this easily so I had decided to go for Hiller.
Practice makes perfect. We could have used your vote for Hiller. :cool:

There is no rule that you have to see four of the five nominees to vote but it helps to have seen more than just the winner or the performer in the most popular film.
:;): Then count it... In the paper Dennis have 12 votes against Hiller's 4 but "actually" is 11 against 5!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thanks to those who defended me. As for those who didn't, Oscar Guy, don't ever for a moment think that they approve of you and of your attitude towards me - it's just that you are the owner of this board, and this prevents them from criticising you (out of respect? No, it's something less noble I'm afraid).

Anyone can see that I never even vaguely comment on what you write. I never even read your posts, honestly - they are too complicated, too profound for me. I am a simple man after all. Still, you keep commenting on mine, always aggressively - it's as if I've become your private obsession. Relax. Have a nice walk in the countryside. Have sex, even - it's healthy, and it helps. Maybe you will see me under a different light. Others do.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Greg wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:And Page, well... I have this curious infatuation with her... Loved her in Zhivago, in Chaplin and specially in Hable con Ella (her depiction of the dance she's conceiving is pure magic, love her voice). In YABBN she was nice but not award worthy...
I think you are confusing Geraldine Page and Geraldine Chaplin.
Yes I was... Guess reading the previous posts made me make this mistake... don't know, too many things going on right now on my mind... by the way... my country is right now in the edge of a war, I'm extremely sad right now... hate politics... I'm working but in a depression mood, everyone here is kind of upset... An yes, my infatuation is with Chaplin, not Page. No wonder how come I ¨remebered her so little¨ in YABBN. Haven´t seen the film recently and guess I mistake her for Black's performance.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”