Anna Magnani - The Rose Tattoo
27%
Eleanor Parker - Interrupted Meloy
10%

Total votes: 30

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:Haven't seen a one. Can somebody explain to me why 1955's Best Picture lineup looks so strangely uninteresting in a year of films like East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, Night of the Hunter, etc? Like, I've never seen The Rose Tattoo. Why did it go over so strongly? I see that Delbert Mann directed it. Was he seen as a wünderkind at the time and it just carried over? I have seen Mister Roberts and it's intermittently engaging but so totally generic outside of Jack Lemmon. Were these the expected noms?
What's so interesting to me about 1955 is that 3 of the Best Picture nominees (Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing, Mister Roberts and Rose Tattoo did not receive eithe Director or Screenplay nominations. Meanwhile, East of Eden and Bad Day At Black Rock received both but missed out on Picture nominations. And David Lean received a Directing nom for Summertime. One of the most fractured years ever.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Susie.

Daniel Mann was a highly-respected theatre director (on Broadway, he directed Come Back, Little Sheba, Rose Tattoo, Paint Your Wagon and an adaptation of Gide's The Immoralist which featured James Dean. In Hollywood, he was no Elia Kazan. (In fact, he was no Delbert Mann).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

You guys are not reading my blog in which I discuss the Oscar years 1944-1958 (thus far) vis a vis a ten picture nomination slate.

http://blogs.oscarguy.com/

How East of Eden missed I don't know unless it was a studio thing - Warners had Mister Roberts. A ten picture scenario would certainly have included both East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause, but not The Night of the Hunter, now considered a masterpiece but then a critical and commercial failure.

Daniel Mann, who was Harold Ramis' father-in-law, directed some of the crappiest movies of all time - Teahouse of the August Moon, BUtterfield 8, A Dream of Kings - as well as the over-rated Come Back, Little Sheba and The Rose Tattoo. In addition to directing Booth, Magnani and Taylor to their undeserved Oscars, he also directed Terry Moore (Sheba), Marisa Pavan (Tattoo), Hayward (I'll Cry Tomorrow) and Paul Muni (The Last Angry Man) to nominations. Incredibly he directed three of Booth's four theatrical films (Sheba, About Mrs. Leslie and Hot Spell).

Jack Lemmon's commentary on the Mister Roberts DVD attributes the Ford-Fonda falling out to Ford's insistence on too many slapstick elements that Fonda felt cheapened the production.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Can somebody explain to me why 1955's Best Picture lineup looks so strangely uninteresting in a year of films like East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, Night of the Hunter, etc?

I'm sure Magilla, et all, can correct us, but I suspect Rebel was seen as primarily a "teen" film while Night of the Hunter wasn't even a success. I can't explain the nomination of The Rose Tattoo, except perhaps the combo of Anna Magnani and Tennessee Williams put it over (by the way, it was Daniel Mann who directed the film, not Delbert Mann).

The other four films--Marty, Picnic, Love is a Many-Splendored Thing and Mister Roberts--were among the highest grossing films of the year and all--especially Marty--had received extremely positive reviews.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote:I have seen Mister Roberts and it's intermittently engaging but so totally generic outside of Jack Lemmon.

Haven't seen it, but it was a very troubled production. John Ford wanted to do it his way, and wanted to spotlight Jack Lemmon above the other characters. Henry Fonda, who'd had a big hit with it onstage, wanted it to be exactly the same as it was onstage. Ford and Fonda clashed, physically at one point, and never really forgave each other. Meanwhile, Ford's drinking got out of control, coming to the set and working drunk. His drinking problem culminated one day when he dove off of a high diving board completely naked, cigar in-mouth. Ford dropped off of the film soon after that, and had surgery to remove his gall-bladder, and then Mervyn LeRoy took over. (Joshua Logan also directed a few scenes.) Ford dried out and then made The Searchers, although Jack Warner had wanted to back out on it after the Mister Roberts situation. John Wayne threatened to end his working relationship with Warner if he didn't let Ford do it the way he wanted.

Edited By dws1982 on 1249448843
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Haven't seen a one. Can somebody explain to me why 1955's Best Picture lineup looks so strangely uninteresting in a year of films like East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, Night of the Hunter, etc? Like, I've never seen The Rose Tattoo. Why did it go over so strongly? I see that Delbert Mann directed it. Was he seen as a wünderkind at the time and it just carried over? I have seen Mister Roberts and it's intermittently engaging but so totally generic outside of Jack Lemmon. Were these the expected noms?
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'll give this one to Hepburn, like most others here. I'm not one of her big fans, but this is easily one of her best performances, and it's one of the last performances before she completely went off the deep end for me. I love Anna Magnani in general though (haven't seen The Rose Tatoo), and she'll get my vote for the win on her next nomination.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It took me years to track down The Rose Tattoo, and what a disapointment when I finally did -- one of the silliest things Williams ever wrote. Magnani is nowhere close to what she was in Open City.

Hayward is good, but by then it seemed like she was just doing variations on a Susan Hayward template.

The same accusation of repeating has been hurled at Hepburn throughout her career, on more than one occasion deserved. But not here. This is, for me, one of her absolute best peformances, and the finest of 1955.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for the great Kate....one of the most touching portrayals of spinsterhood......and Venice certainly helps (although in real life I thought Venice was extremely overrated.....much prefer Florence).

My top 5:
Katharine Hepburn, Summertime
Eleanor Parker, Interrupted Melody
Susan Hayward, I'll Cry Tomorrow
Anna Magnani, The Rose Tattoo
Doris Day, Love Me or Leave Me

Edited By Reza on 1249439186
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My vote goes to Katharine Hepburn in my personal favorite among her many great performances in David Lean's exquisite Summertime, the last of his "small" movies. Hayward would be my second choice for her impersonation of Lillian Roth in I'll Cry Tomorrow.

Magnani was the best thing about The Rose Tattoo, but that isn't saying much. Jones was believable as a Eurasian doctor and better than the soap opera material she was given in Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing. Though I liked Parker's Marjorie Lawrence in Interrupted Melody I liked Doris Day's Ruth Etting in Love Me or Leave Me more. This was Day's best performance and if she was to have only one nomination this is the one she should have been nominated for rather than Pillow Talk four years later.

A personal favorite would be Maureen O'Hara in John Ford's The Long Gray Line, if only for her minimally acted death scene, one of the most realistic and moving ever put on film.
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

Give My vote to Parker

But was there any other contenders people believed would be nominated for Best Actress?

1. Judy Garland - A Star Is Born - 11 votes
2. Jane Wyman - Magnificent Obsession - 2 votes
3. Grace Kelly - The Country Girl - 1 vote

1. Audrey Hepburn - Roman Holiday - 8 votes
2. Deborah Kerr - From Here to Eternity - 4 votes
3. Leslie Caron - Lili - 1 vote

1. Julie Harris - The Member of the Wedding - 5 votes
2. Susan Hayward - With a Song in my Heart - 4 votes
3. Shirley Booth - Come Back, Little Sheba - 3 votes
4. Joan Crawford - Sudden Fear - 1 vote

1. Vivien Leigh - A Streetcar Named Desire - 20 votes
2. Shelley Winters - A Place in the Sun - 2 votes