5%
Natalie Wood - Splendor in the Grass
11%

Total votes: 37

bizarre
Assistant

Re: Best Actress 1961

Post by bizarre »

I haven't seen any of these nominees, but this is a strong year outside of them - including wonderful work from an actress I'm usually bored by, Deborah Kerr:

1. Hideko Takamine, As a Wife, As a Woman
2. Jeanne Moreau, La notte
3. Deborah Kerr, The Innocents
4. Hideko Takamine, Immortal Love
5. Lucyna Winnicka, Mother Joan of the Angels
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

My choices:
Anouke Aimée - Lola

Harriet Andersson - Såsom I En Spegel
Deborah Kerr - The Innocents
Delphine Seyrig - Last Year at Marienbad
Natalie Wood - Splendor in the Grass
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I voted for Laurie. She may be supporting (I haven't seen The Hustler in years) but she gives my favourite performance of the category, and I don't feel like I'm robbing anybody else with the category fraud (my second condition for disliking fraud).

I'd probably go with Harriet Andersson overall.

Edited By Okri on 1251893991
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Voted for Loren, whose performance I recently watched for the first time and in the original language. Simply superb. However, is it bad that I voted for her considering that I haven't seen Summer & Smoke? Prior to my experience with Two Women (that sounds quite good actually) I would have voted for Hepburn in Breakfast. Wood in Splendor is one of my father's all-time favorite performances, but I've never been such a fan. I stick to everybody's argument about Laurie.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

You are Latin, Hustler, you are one of us ;)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

My heart is with Loren!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:The grand, inherently glamorous, 25 year old Loren is as realistic as a hard beaten mother of a teenager daughter as Katharine Hepburn's Midwestern spinster was. Yet it was a powerful performance, especially for those who were willing to embrace that somehow fantasized everything-you-see-I-owe-to-pasta embodiment of Italianism. Did anyone mention "iconic"?
Too young maybe, though in movie terms she could look 30, and back then Italian women could become mothers very, very young. But otherwise Loren was very close to Cesira, she came from that part of Italy, and from a very poor family... So no, I wouldnt say that she was so wrong for the part.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Uri wrote:And for the record, once you pushed the "view the results" button, you get a " You have already voted in this poll" message.
Confirmed. I created a test poll and clicked the "view results button" and got the "you have already voted message". I then left the thread and when I went back to it the "you have already voted" remained even though there were zero votes in the poll.

I do remember seeing the button before but I guess I conditioned myself to ignore it over the years, probably from having made the same mistake Cinemanolis did.
Well, I'll be careful with that in the future. It didn't used to work that way (maybe on the old board), because I know I waited to vote on occasion (like, during Oscar season when I hadn't yet caught up to a nominee or two) but was always interested in checking the vote tally.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:And for the record, once you pushed the "view the results" button, you get a " You have already voted in this poll" message.
Confirmed. I created a test poll and clicked the "view results button" and got the "you have already voted message". I then left the thread and when I went back to it the "you have already voted" remained even though there were zero votes in the poll.

I do remember seeing the button before but I guess I conditioned myself to ignore it over the years, probably from having made the same mistake Cinemanolis did.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The grand, inherently glamorous, 25 year old Loren is as realistic as a hard beaten mother of a teenager daughter as Katharine Hepburn's Midwestern spinster was. Yet it was a powerful performance, especially for those who were willing to embrace that somehow fantasized everything-you-see-I-owe-to-pasta embodiment of Italianism. Did anyone mention "iconic"?

I passed – I don't go for "foreign" performances, so no Loren, who was the best of this bunch, yet there were other non English speaking actresses at least as award worthy as her that year – Jeanne Moreau, Harriet Andersson, Emmanuelle Riva, Monica Vitti, Anouk Aimee and so on. What a glorious era that was.

Hepburn was so disarmingly lovely everyone, including me, is willing to ignore the harm her casting made (people do it rather often – the way Johnny Depp's Ed Wood is embraced for all the wrong reasons). Wood's turn (Natalie, that is) was very passionate and heart felt, so in result, quite effective, but it couldn't fully masquerade her basic inefficiencies as an actress. Laurie was very good, but indeed supporting. That leave me, by default, with Page who is impressive, if too old, (and she wasn't helped by having to perform opposite that cluts, my next door neighbor's cousin, Harvey). But I never really liked her.

I'd go with Rita Tushingham, but her film wasn't eligible until the following year. So what, a third for Kerr, a second in a row? It is a bit too much. Leigh was fascinating, but not always for the right reason. I'm lost.

And for the record, once you pushed the "view the results" button, you get a " You have already voted in this poll" message.

Edited By Uri on 1251815456
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Cinemanolis wrote:Just for the record i would have voted for Loren, but i accidentally pushed the "See the results (Null vote)" button.
I didn't realize there was such a button!
It's always been there, but it doesn't prevent you from casting a vote later. It's just a way to see the results before you make your own pick.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cinemanolis wrote:Just for the record i would have voted for Loren, but i accidentally pushed the "See the results (Null vote)" button.
I didn't realize there was such a button!
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Just for the record i would have voted for Loren, but i accidentally pushed the "See the results (Null vote)" button.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Audrey.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:And to Penelope of all people.
So?

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”