9%
Kim Stanley - Séance on a Wet Afternoon
26%

Total votes: 47

bizarre
Assistant

Re: Best Actress 1964

Post by bizarre »

Kim Stanley is brittle and unconvincing in Seance on a Wet Afternoon. She learnt the accent, but not how to emote with it - all her lines are delivered in the same register, and her expressons are exaggerated. Richard Attenborough is far superior, believably fraught without being theatrical.

I saw Mary Poppins far too long ago to formulate an opinion on Andrews, although I'm sure she was winning as she always was.

My picks for this unusually strong year:

1. Hideko Takamine, Yearning
2. Madhabi Mukherjee, Charulata
3. Nobuko Otowa, Onibaba
4. Abbey Lincoln, Nothing But a Man
5. Barbara Ulrich, Le chat dans le sac
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re:

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:
Reza wrote:Italiano I wish we had met on my Italian trip.
I'm nicer (even polite) in person than I am here, but I guess you were too scared :)

Have you ever been to Bangladesh? I've been invited there, but I dont know...
Not scared just foolish. I lost your phone number, I think.

No never been to Bangladesh and don't think I want to. Nothing much to see there......all the great historical sights are in India and Pakistan.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Actress 1964

Post by nightwingnova »

Julie Andrews is smashing and iconic as Mary Poppins. An everlasting joy.

Kim Stanley. I'm disappointed that Seance on a Wet Afternoon doesn't represent her best work. She's stunning in The Goddess. I want to see as much of her acclaimed Broadway work as has been recorded. Saw a clip of her in Bus Stop. She was fantastic. In Seance, she is more mannered than I'd prefer but her great talent shows.

Trying to track down the documentary that someone was making about her a few years ago.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:Italiano I wish we had met on my Italian trip.
I'm nicer (even polite) in person than I am here, but I guess you were too scared :)

Have you ever been to Bangladesh? I've been invited there, but I dont know...
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:It's a secret poll. No one is obligated to reveal who they voted for.
Oh ok. I am really sorry. Just like in Bulgaria in the 80s.

Maybe they are just ashamed..?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:
Cinemanolis wrote:Dedicated to those who voted for Julie Andrews
I wonder who they are. Damien and Reza may not have the best taste in acting but at least they had the balls to confess their "crime".But the other 4?!
LOL

Italiano I wish we had met on my Italian trip.

LOL
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
I wonder who they are. Damien and Reza may not have the best taste in acting but at least they had the balls to confess their "crime".But the other 4???
It's a secret poll. No one is obligated to reveal who they voted for.

Had I not re-watched The Pumpkin Eater a week ago I may have given her a vote to tie the over-rated Stanley.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I wonder who they are. Damien and Reza may not have the best taste in acting but at least they had the balls to confess their "crime".But the other 4?!

Edited By ITALIANO on 1252773243
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

My Choices

Anne Bancroft - The Pumpkin Eater

Catherine Deneuve - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Olivia de Havilland - Lady in a Cage
Audrey Hepburn - My Fair Lady
Kim Stanley - Séance on a Wet Afternoon
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Dedicated to those who voted for Julie Andrews

Scary Mary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic&feature=related
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:Truth to tell, I've never liked Mary Poppins. But Julie is Julie, and although her best work was ahead of her -- Sound of Music, Star!, Darling Lili, Tamarind Seed, SOB and Victor/Victoria -- she is not to be denied.
I so agree with you on this.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I just finished watching Seance on a Wet Afternoon which I hadn't seen in years.

Stanley is very good but both Bancroft and Andrews are superior IMO.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I voted for Anne Bancroft after going back and forth since yesterday. And of course, now seeing that it's tied between Julie Andrews and Kim Stanley, I would probably go back and vote for Stanley if I had the option.

After The Graduate, Bancroft pretty much loses me for good. But before that, there are several excellent performances--not just her Oscar nominees, but Jacques Tourneur's little-seen noir Nightfall and John Ford's final film, 7 Women. Her performance in The Pumpkin Eater is unlike anything else she did, and even though she seems miscast at first, she's perfect, subtly devastating, and for my money was never better.

My vote was either going to Bancroft or Stanley. But I like Andrews in Mary Poppins too. I've seen this movie many with my three year-old nephew, since it was was temporarily his favorite movie this summer. I like Andrews a lot as Mary Poppins--her bitchiness, her tough exterior, and then her sadness when she realizes that she isn't needed anymore. It's a very good performance, but I just wish it had been a year later.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Truth to tell, I've never liked Mary Poppins. But Julie is Julie, and although her best work was ahead of her -- Sound of Music, Star!, Darling Lili, Tamarind Seed, SOB and Victor/Victoria -- she is not to be denied.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I think Julie Andrews absolutely nailed the character of Mary Poppins. The ''tight, cold approach'', ''so super sweet'' and ''stiff upper lip''.....all part of that ''type''. I'm watching Upstairs, Downstairs and this type of character is presented in this series with such vividness.

I usually find Stanley very mannered but it works for her character.

Reynolds is all over the place and is obviously (through the character she plays) trying to get at the Oscar. A deserved nod for Debbie.....after all she had paid her dues in Hollywood by that time.

Loren's nod is a mystery....she is good but they could easily have nominated Audrey in her place.

I saw The Pumpkin Eater many years ago and recall that I could hardly sit through it. Yes she is caught amidst all the other characters talking non stop. Need to see the film again to appreciate Bancroft's performance.

I voted for Julie......also helping is her other performance that year in The Americanization of Emily.

My own top 5 of the year:

Julie Andrews, Mary Poppins
Audrey Hepburn, My Fair Lady
Kim Stanley, Seance on a Wet Afternoon
Debbie Reynolds, The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Constance Towers, The Naked Kiss

My 6th spot would go to the wonderful Melina Mercouri in Topkapi......that gurgling laugh, alone, would earn her this position on my list.

Edited By Reza on 1252421601

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”