1991 Oscar Shouldabeens

1927/28 through 1997
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

That´s right! I failed with the preposition. LOL!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

--Hustler wrote:oops! sorry, i was referring to the 1999 movie, directed by Milos Forman

Man On The Moon

Edited By Big Magilla on 1295850445
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

oops! sorry, i was referring to the 1999 movie, directed by Milos Forman
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Man in the Moon, what an underrated movie! and Carrey´s performance was terrific.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

BEST PICTURE
1. The Man In The Moon
2. Paris Is Burning
3. Rambling Rose
4. Strangers In Good Company
5. Switch

BEST DIRECTOR
1. Robert Mulligan -- The Man In The Moon
2. Jennie Livingston -- Paris Is Burning
3. Cynthia Scott -- Strangers In Good Company
4. Blake Edwards -- Switch
5. Kenneth Branagh -- Dead Again

BEST ACTOR
1. River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho
2. Robert Duvall in Rambling Rose
3. Kenneth Branagh in Dead Again
4. Warren Beatty in Bugsy
5. Keith Carradine in The Ballad Of The Sad Cafe

ACTRESS
1. Reese Witherspoon on The Man In The Moon
2. Mary Stuart Masterson in Fried Green Tomatoes
3. Ellen Barkin in Switch
4. Kerry Fox in An Angel At My Table
5. Laura Dern in Rambling Rose

SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Joe Don Baker in Cape Fear
2. Derek Jacobi in Dead Again
3. Lukas Haas in Rambling Rose
4. Harvey Keitel in Thelma and Louise
5. Tommy Lee Jones in JFK

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1. Jobeth Williams in Switch
2. Lorraine Bracco in Switch
3. Diane Ladd in Rambling Rose
4. Wendy Phillips in Bugsy
5. Emma Thompson in Impromptu

ORIIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1. Switch
2. Dead Again
3. The Man In the Moon
4. Strangers In Good Company
5. Bill And Ted’s Bogus Journey

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
1. Rambling Rose
2. Fried Green Tomatoes
3. An Angel At My Table
4. Straight Out Of Brooklyn
5. Europa, Europa

DRAMATIC SCORE
1. Dead Again and Shipwrecked – Patrick Doyle
2. The Story Of Boys And Girls – Riz Ortolani
3. Mortal Thoughts – Mark Isham
4. The Comfort Of Strangers – Angelo Badalmenti
5. Rambling Rose – Elmer Bernstein

MUSICAL SCORE (MUSICAL/COMEDY FILM)
1. The Doors
2. For The Boys
3. Meeting Venus
4. Steppin’ Out

SONG
1. “Beauty and The Beast”

CINEMATOGRAPHY
1. The Doors -- Robert Richardson
2. The Ballad Of The Sad Café -- Walter Lassally
3. The Comfort Of Strangers -- Dante Spinotti
4. Cape Fear -- Freddie Francis
5. Guilty By Suspicion -- Michael Balhaus

FILM EDITING
1. JFK
2. Dead Again
3. Fried Green Tomatoes
4. The Man In The Moon
5. Switch

ART DIRECTION
1. Silence Of The Lambs
2. Bugsy
3. An Angel At My Table
4. Bill And Ted’s Bogus Journey
5. Fried Green Tomatoes

COSTUME DESIGN
1. Bugsy
2. An Angel At My Table
3. Fried Green Tomatoes
4. The Doors
5. Dead Again

MAKE-UP
1. Dead Again
2. The Addams Family
3. Rambling Rose

SOUND
1. JFK
2. Bugsy
3. Thelma and Louise
4. Cape Fear
5. The Doors

SOUND EFFECTS EDITING
1. JFK
2. Bugsy
3. Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey

VISUAL EFFECTS
1. Bill And Ted’s Bogus Journey
2. The Addams Family
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Sonic Youth wrote:Hopkins had a bigger bag of tricks, but Foster's performance was far more intriguing.

This is a perfectly succinct description. I'd actually rate Foster's performance in The Silence of the Lambs as one of the best "Best Actress" winners of all time. It's just plain spellbinding watching her embody the character of Clarice.

I think it was Anthony Hopkins who said that when he watched Foster in their first scene together (including her infamous ham-handed seque using "Yourself") he thought it was one of the greatest pieces of acting he'd ever seen. I agree wholeheartedly. Thank god she didn't participate in any of those sequels/prequels.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1295850486
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

--Sabin wrote:I refuse to believe that I am the only person on the planet who thinks that Jodie Foster is overrated in 'The Silence of the Lambs'. She certainly rises to the task but doesn't demonstrate the emotional range of a bevy of other contenders. Lord knows, she gives some kind of implosive virtuoso but often times she just seems like she's giving the same kind of line reading again and again.

Then please see it again. If there's even one person who finds her performance overrated, then IMO it's underrated. Physically, her performance is terrific. Check out how she alters her body language depending on which character she's talking to, perfectly accomodating herself according to the level of affinity.

"Emotional range." Well, she showed as much emotional range as was written for the character, one that struggles to keep her poise as her sanity threatens to take leave at any moment. I wouldn't ask anything more from her. Hopkins had a bigger bag of tricks, but Foster's performance was far more intriguing.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1295850508
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:I refuse to believe that I am the only person on the planet who thinks that Jodie Foster is overrated in 'The Silence of the Lambs'. She certainly rises to the task but doesn't demonstrate the emotional range of a bevy of other contenders. Lord knows, she gives some kind of implosive virtuoso but often times she just seems like she's giving the same kind of line reading again and again. Maybe I need to see one of Jodie Foster's child performances aside from 'Taxi Driver', but as an adult I've just never been terribly impressed. I think 'Contact' is bollocks but Foster's work there is pretty strong if only because it caters to her strong suits.
Foster's greatest performance (IMHO) is in Stealing Home.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Flipp, you and I are bizarrely similar...

I too named a cat Idgie because of the movie and book. That cat is also still alive...
Wow, that is bizarrely similar! Are you me?![/color]
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

--Big Magilla wrote:Soapdish was movie that made me appreciate Moriarty after dismissing her in Raging Bull eleven years earlier. Too bad she hasn't done anything significant since.

She was good fun, if underused, in Joe Dante's wonderful, underrated Matinee. But yeah, otherwise she's never made much of an impact.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1295850537
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Penelope wrote:One of my favorite supporting actress turns from 1991 is Cathy Moriarty in Soapdish; she's wicked fun in that movie.
I agree with that. Soapdish was movie that made me appreciate Moriarty after dismissing her in Raging Bull eleven years earlier. Too bad she hasn't done anything significant since.[/color]
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I love 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' and I adore Juliette Stevenson in it. Can't believe I forgot her.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The WWII section of For the Boys -- with Bette performing "Stuff Like That There" and stealing the stage from James Caan -- is the really only good part of the film; the rest is pure tripe. She didn't deserve the nomination, and many of the ladies listed here (Michelle Pfeiffer in Frankie and Johnny, Juliet Stevenson in Truly Madly Deeply, Gong Li in Ju Dou, Lili Taylor in Dogfight, heck, even Julia Roberts in Sleeping with the Enemy) woulda been a better choice.

One of my favorite supporting actress turns from 1991 is Cathy Moriarty in Soapdish; she's wicked fun in that movie.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Gong Li in the early 90's - Raise the Red Lantern, Ju Dou, Farewell My Concubine, To Live, Shanghai Triad... what a run.

From 1991, I'd also like to add Juliet Stevenson's lovely performance in Truly Madly Deeply as one worthy of praise.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Flipp, you and I are bizarrely similar...

I too named a cat Idgie because of the movie and book. That cat is also still alive...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”