1996 Oscar Shouldabeens

1927/28 through 1997
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I liked Twister's effects better than ID4's, too.

Keaton and Reynolds were two of my three favorites of the year, along side McDormand. I didn't care for Streep all that much in Marvin's Room. I did think she would have made a great Evita, unlike Madonna who I thought was merely posing.[/color]
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Thanks for the comment on Fargo, probably I'll rent it soon again to watch it with that on mind...

Another thing that I forgot to say is about the best actress category: Isn't Keaton's performance a little bit overrated? I found that film quite good (I never got bored or something, even though is a conventional, sorry, an extremely conventional film) but never saw her as Oscar material (I was with the Globes, for me Streep was better even though she was in a smaller role and in the one that was not the sick one). I haven't seen Reynold's film (maybe I'll rent it with Fargo!) but if she's that good as to be in a final list, I'd replace Keaton for Madonna in Evita (for me a big shock when she was snubbed).

And in a minor category, I believe Twister effects are better than ID4...

Edited By Big Magilla on 1101116053
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Harry, you are right, they are only my opinions.

The reason Fargo appeals so strongly to American audiences is because of the midwest attitudes and dialogue. My former boss and several other people in my company come from that part of the country and I could see them in the characters. The midwest colloquialisms probably don't travel well abroad.

I didn't care all that much for Shine either, though I liked the three actors.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1259533147
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sorry, but I disagree on the winners...

The words "should have been" are too powerful... In a humble way of speaking I just can see that those choices are simply yuor favorites, the choices you just were waiting to happen. In my case that was a year that I was pretty much confortable with the whole thing...

I agree with you in two points:
- Norton, totally... words are useless to explain why.
- Cruise: not necessarily Cruise but I do not like Rush winning. Haven't seen Thornton, but Harrelson, Fiennes and Cruise were more subttles and accomplished than Rush almost over the top performance.

But then again... Fargo. I do not know, but, considering that I am from Venezuela, I like to see universality in films and I've said on this board that Fargo is a film that (to me) seems to appeal american audiences in a way that I can not understand. Sure, McDormand was great (a deserved winner)so as well H. Macy. The script is a masterwork (one of the best winners in Original Screenplay) and the directing work is pretty much unconventional. However, it doesn't touch me. I laugh a few times but I couldn't get connected in a deep way with any of the characters. Sorry, but it is just a personal view deriving from my personal experience with the film.

On the contrary, since the beginning, The English Patient overwhelmed me. A film that I'm grateful for... From the delicacy of the opening sequence to the devastating end, a perfect work of art.

Bacall, the expected winner for Sup. actress would have been a good choice, but I'm pleased (and still amazed) that Binoche finally won.

As for the nominees...
I agree with Courtney Love. However, I like pretty much Joan Allen and Mary Ann Jean Baptiste's performances, so I do not know what I would had done in that.

And in picture... I would have prefered to see either Trainspotting, The People vs. Larry Filnt or Evita (any of them, in that order) on the list instead of Shine. The other four were quite deserving.

However, is always a pleasure to read your posts and know your opinion on films Magilla...

Edited By Big Magilla on 1101116059
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1996 Oscar Shouldabeens

Post by Big Magilla »

Best Picture
The English Patient
*Fargo
Flirting with Disaster
Jerry Maguire
Lone Star

Best Actor
Chris Cooper, Lone Star