1986 Oscar Shouldabeens

1927/28 through 1997
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

For me the most unfortunate omission wasn't Barbara Hershey but Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham.

Amen to that. And let me officially state that I adored Melanie Griffith in Working Girl (which also contains one of Harrison Ford's best performances).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Damien wrote:By the way, shouldn't the posts in this discussion be moved to 1988 Oscar Shouldabeens?

We can't move individual posts, only the entire thread.

In addition to what you said about Melanie Griffith, it should be remembered that while Griffith's performances in Body Double (1984) and Somethng Wild (1986) were highly praised, her light comedy skills were nowhere in evidence until Working Girl and came as a very pleasant surprise to everyone.

There was also quite an uproar at the time over the initial print ad for the film which highlighted Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver, while third billed Griffith in the film's title role was seen in the background of the two megastars. Whether by design or accident, this seeming insult added to her appeal and gave her supporters a rallying point for launching her Oscar campaign as an underdog.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064444
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

To understand why Melanie Griffith was not only nominated but predicted by many people to win you have to go back to and put yourself in a 1988 mindset.

Although it may be a little hard to believe now, Griffith was a critic's darling back in the mid-80s, having won the National Society of Film Critics award for DePalma's Body Double, and increasing her street cred as a cool figure through Demme's Something Wild.

Despite having Mike Nichols as director, Walking Girl was a genuine sleeper. In those pre-Entertainment Weekly/pre-Internet days Christmas releases could still come into theatres without a huge amount of fanfare, and Working Girl -- like Moonstruck a year earlier -- was an unheralded film that everyone fell in love with. And as its centerpiece, everyone also loved Griffith and her warm, sexy, vulnerable and funny performance.

Add to the fact she had an inspiring back story -- she had kicked drugs and alcohol -- and was the daughter of a legendary (or at least semi-legendary) cinematic figure, Tippi Hedren, and Griffith was THE Golden Girl at the time.

The Best Actress race was mostly seen as a toss-up between Griffith and Glenn Close, with Jodie Foster right on their tail. Sigourney Weaver was figured to be a sure Supporting Actress winner, and Meryl Streep was given no chance for a not particularly well-liked film, A Cry In The Dark (for a while, "Dingo got my baby" entered the vernacular as a joke line).

For me the most unfortunate omission wasn't Barbara Hershey but Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham. (I liked Hershey in the movie, but I thought A World Apart was Johdi May's film.) Another Woman was not successful, so Rowlands was never very much in the running. A shame that some of the terrific women's performances of 1988 (Shirley MacLaine in Madame Sousatzka was another deserving non-nominee) weren't held back til the truly dire year of 1989 (Pauline Collins???).

By the way, shouldn't the posts in this discussion be moved to 1988 Oscar Shouldabeens?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Melanie Griffith was in a well liked best picture nominee, so that probably helped (I don't think A World Apart did very well after it's Cannes success).
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Dianne Wiest dominated critics' awards with Hannah, makign Hershey clearly a second choice in most people's minds and her starrign role in A World Apart came in 1988 which as others have said was a year of an embarsamment of riches in the best actress race.
I can´t understand Magilla why she didn´t fullfil the 5th slot instead of Melanie Griffith.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

--Precious Doll wrote:
--Hustler wrote:Hershey´s snub that year was one of the biggest mistakes in the Academy´s history.

I think a bigger snub occured the following year (or was it 1988) for A World Apart.

yep. Agree 100%.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064412
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think Hershey was on the short list for all three films, but just missed out in all three cases.

Dianne Wiest dominated critics' awards with Hannah, makign Hershey clearly a second choice in most people's minds and her starrign role in A World Apart came in 1988 which as others have said was a year of an embarsamment of riches in the best actress race.

Her best shot was probably for The Last Temptation of Christ, though the supporting field in 1988 was also quite rich. She did finally get a nod for 1995's Portrait of a Lady which she easily stole from Nicole Kidman. I wonder if she would have been taken as seriously, or even have gotten some of those roles if she kept her brief hippie name change to Barbara Hershey Seagull.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

--Precious Doll wrote:
--Hustler wrote:Hershey´s snub that year was one of the biggest mistakes in the Academy´s history.

I think a bigger snub occured the following year (or was it 1988) for A World Apart.

Biggest snub of all - The Last Temptation of Christ. I honestly believe it may be the finest performance Scorsese has ever directed . Even in the scenes where she pretty much just follows Jesus around, she's absolutely riveting, fascinating to watch. That performance has stayed with me for years.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064536
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064528
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Hershey´s snub that year was one of the biggest mistakes in the Academy´s history.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--rudeboy wrote:
--Reza wrote:The Academy goofed up big time. Rowlands should have been nominated.

I wouldn't disagree with this, but 1988 was something of an embarassment of riches as far as leading female performances were concerned. Other than Melanie Griffith (like the film but her voice drives me crazy) any of the nominees were very worthy... and arguments could be made for Carmen Maura, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christine Lahti, Susan Sarandon, Barbara Hershey, Jodhi May... I'm sure there are others.

I also think all the ladies you mention gave good performances in 1988. However, my choice would still be for Rowlands to have replaced Griffith.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064514
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

PICTURE
Aliens
Blue Velvet
Hannah and Her Sisters
A Room with A View
Stand By Me

DIRECTOR
Woody Allen - Hannah and Her Sisters
James Cameron - Aliens
James Ivory - A Room With A View
David Lynch - Blue Velvet
Rob Reiner - Stand By Me

ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis - My Beautiful Laundrette
Harrison Ford - The Mosquito Coast
Jeff Goldblum - The Fly
Bob Hoskins - Mona Lisa
Gary Oldman - Sid and Nancy

ACTRESS
Beatrice Dalle - Betty Blue
Ellen Greene - Little Shop of Horrors
Melanie Griffith - Something Wild
Sigourney Weaver - Aliens
Chloe Webb - Sid and Nancy

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Steve Buscemi - Parting Glances
Michael Caine - Hannah and Her Sisters
Daniel Day-Lewis - A Room With A View
Dennis Hopper - Blue Velvet
Ray Liotta - Something Wild

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Judi Dench - A Room With A View
Barbara Hershey - Hannah and Her Sisters
Kathy Kinney - Parting Glances
Maggie Smith - A Room With A View
Dianne Wiest - Hannah and Her Sisters

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Blue Velvet
Hannah and Her Sisters
My Beautiful Laundrette
Parting Glances
Something Wild

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Aliens
Down and Out in Beverly Hills
Little Shop of Horrors
A Room With A View
Stand By Me

Edited By paperboy on 1238507996
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Reza wrote:The Academy goofed up big time. Rowlands should have been nominated.

I wouldn't disagree with this, but 1988 was something of an embarassment of riches as far as leading female performances were concerned. Other than Melanie Griffith (like the film but her voice drives me crazy) any of the nominees were very worthy... and arguments could be made for Carmen Maura, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christine Lahti, Susan Sarandon, Barbara Hershey, Jodhi May... I'm sure there are others.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

FilmFan720 wrote:I also agree "Another Woman" is possibly, next to "Everyone Says I Love You" his most unfairly overlooked film. Gena Rowlands is phenomenal.
I totally agree.

The Academy goofed up big time. Rowlands should have been nominated.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'm something of a Woody Allen lover (if the avatar didn't give that away), and also consider "Everyone Says I Love You" one of his finest efforts. It is probably his most joyful film, and the music is wonderful. Funny, witty and some enjoyable performances. I agree "Match Point" is his best film in the past 10 years, but I also found much to appreciate in "Anything Else" and "Hollywood Ending." "Small Time Crooks" is fun, especially the great work of Elaine May.

Hannah and Her Sisters I think is in his Top 5. My wife and I caught it on TV last weekend and dropped everything to get engrossed in the film for the umpteenth time (what is it about movies on TV that make you drop everything to see, even if you can recite them or if you have them on DVD next to the TV and haven't touched them in years). I think Hannah is one of his most complex, interesting films with an exceptional cast and wonderful music. I also agree "Another Woman" is possibly, next to "Everyone Says I Love You" his most unfairly overlooked film. Gena Rowlands is phenomenal.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”