1986 Oscar Shouldabeens

1927/28 through 1997
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've a rather sentimental attachment to 'Hannah and Her Sisters'. It was the first Woody Allen movie I saw, and I think Michael Caine's performance is one of his all-time best. He's so doggishly eager to engage in adultery. I also think this is one of Woody Allen's greatest performances. I was always perplexed that Barbara Hershey failed to get half the accolades ladeled onto the admittedly wonderful Dianne Wiest. And the use of Harry James music is sublime.

I had no idea you enjoyed 'Another Woman'. I just saw it within the year and found it interesting. I didn't care for 'Everyone Says "I Love You!"' very much. I haven't seen 'A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy'. I heard it's middling Woody Allen.

Of the ones you despise, I haven't seen 'Interiors', 'September', 'Shadows and Fog', or 'The Curse of the Jade Scorpion'. I thought 'Deconstructing Harry' was pretty good despite its gross indulgences.

The only Woody Allen film I enjoyed this decade was 'Match Point', and there's at least a third of a great film in the middle of 'Hollywood Ending', which conveniently enough Woody Allen is far too myopic to fully exploit. I think 'Sweet and Lowdown', 'Bullets over Broadway', and 'Husbands and Wives' are fairly exemplary entries in his canon.

Edited By Sabin on 1183754544
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:Not a single citation for 'Hannah and Her Sisters'?

I've always been perplexed by the acclaim heaped upon Hannah and Her Sisters. I find it banal, uninvolving, charmless, tedious and superficial. And that "tour" of the great sights of New York City is gag-inducing. The only saving graces are the performances of Michael Caine, Barbara Hershey, Maureen O'Sullivan and Lloyd Nolan.

It's not as bad as Interiors, Shadows and Fog, Deconstructing Harry, September, Mighty Aphrodite or his all-time nadir, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, however.

I think Crimes and Misdemeanors is Allen's masterpiece, and I also have great affection for Manhattan, Radio Days, Annie Hall, Another Woman and his two most underrated films, the lovely A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy and Everyone Says I Love You.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If I remember correctly, Damien doesn't care much for Hannah, or Purple Rose of Cairo before it. I know he loves Crimes and Misdemeanors, and I think I remember him saying good things about Another Woman.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Not a single citation for 'Hannah and Her Sisters'?
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

BEST PICTURE
1. Manhunter (Michael Mann)
2. My Beautiful Laundrette (Stephen Frears)
3. Desert Bloom (Eugene Coor)
4. Blue Velvet (David Lynch)
5. Pirates (Roman Polanski)
6. Down And Out In Beverly Hills (Paul Mazursky)
7. That’s Life! (Blake Edwards)
8. Summer (Eric Rohmer)
9. Platoon (Oliver Stone)
10. Parting Glances (Bill Sherwood)

BEST ACTOR
1. Walter Matthau in Pirates
2. Daniel Day-Lewis in My Beautiful Laundrette
3. River Phoenix in Stand By Me
4. Gordon Warnecke in My Beautiful Laundrette
5. Jeff Bridges in 8 Million Ways To Die

BEST ACTRESS
1. Julie Andrews in Duet For One and That’s Life!
2. Laura Dern in Blue Velvet and Smooth Talk
3. Bette Midler in Down And Out In Beverly Hills
4. Lori Singer in Trouble In Mind
5. Helen Shaver in Desert Hearts

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Saeed Jaffrey in My Beautiful Laundrette
2. Steve Buscemi in Parting Glances
3. Brian Cox in Manhunter
4. Stuart Margolin in That’s Life!
5. Simon Callow in A Room With A View

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1. Winona Ryder in Lucas
2. Mary Stuart Masterson in At Close Range
3. Kathy Kinney in Parting Glances
4. Joan Allen in Manhunter
5. Alexandra Paul in 8 Million Ways To Die

BEST DIRECTOR
1. Michael Mann for Manhunter
2. Eugene Corr for Desert Hearts
3. David Lynch for Blue Velvet
4. Stephen Frears for My Beautiful Laundrette
5. Roman Polanski for Pirates

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1. My Beautiful Laundrette
2. That’s Life!
3. Parting Glances
4. Salvador
5. Blue Velvet

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
1. Down And Out In Beverly Hills
2. Manhunter
3. A Room With A View
4. Stand By Me

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
1. Manhunter – Dante Spinotti
2. Aliens – Adrian Biddle
3. At Close Range – Juan Ruiz-Anchia
4. Desert Bloom – Retnaldo Villalovos
5. Blue Velvet -- Frederick Elmes

BEST FILM EDITING
1. Manhunter
2. Platoon
3. Desert Bloom
4. Stand By Me
5. The Hitcher

BEST ART DIRECTION
1. Down And Out In Beverly Hills
2. Manhunter
3. Desert Hearts
4. Desert Bloom
5. Blue Velvet

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
1. Desert Bloom
2. Desert Hearts
3. A Room With A View
4. Pirates
5. Stand By Me

BEST MUSIC – MUSICAL FILM
1. Round Midnight
2. Little Shop Of Horrors

BEST MUSIC – NON-MUSICAL FILM
1. Manhunter – The Reds and Michael Rubini
2. Platoon and Salvador – Georges Delerue
3. Blue Velvet – Angelo Badalmenti
4. Peggy Sue Got Married – John Barry
5. That’s Life! – Henry Mancini

BEST SONG
1. “Somewhere Out There” (An American Tail)
2. “Seven Day Weekend” (Club Paradise)
3. “Live To Tell” (At Close Range)
4. “Coming Around Again” (Heartburn)
5. “Who’s Johnny?” (Short Circuit)

BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS
1. Aliens
2. Platoon
3. Little Shop Of Horrors
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I agree Morricone should have won for The Mission. The film is my top ten for the year and Jermey Irons' performance is among my choices for best actor.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Putting the actors aside, this is the year when Morricone lost his deserved Oscar for his exceptional work in The Mission, I just heard the score recently and I can't help it, it brings tears to my eyes. It's almost the heart of the film, a sustantial part of it creating the whole atmosphere alongside Chris Mengues Cinematography work. It's at the top of my list of best scores ever and it couldn't grab the award... why?

In fact, The Mission, now that I see your lists, it's not a very well respected or well remembered film. Stuart Craig's Art Direction was more than organical, the film itself is touching and moreso has a profound theme about self-conscious. What a wonderful film it is... even though, I understand perfectly Platoon's victory but The Mission will always have a special place in my list of favorite films of all times... Whoever said the eighties were a dreadful decade for cinema, just look at this year with Hannah and Her Sisters and A Room with a View creating a lot of headaches for a desition even right now, at least for me...

Blue Velvet should have taken the fifth slot
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Best Film

1. Aliens
2. Blue Velvet
3. Stand By Me
4. Withnail & I
5. A Room With a View

Best Director

1. James Cameron for Aliens
2. David Lynch for Blue Velvet
3. Rob Reiner for Stand By Me
4. James Ivory for A Room With a View
5. Woody Allen for Hannah and Her Sisters

Best Actor

1. Richard E. Grant for Withnail & I
2. Sean Connery for The Name of the Rose
3. Jeff Daniels for Something Wild
4. Harrison Ford for The Mosquito Coast
5. Bob Hoskins for Mona Lisa

Best Actress

1. Sigourney Weaver for Aliens
2. Isabella Rossellini for Blue Velvet
3. Kathleen Turner for Peggy Sue Got Married
4. Melanie Griffith for Something Wild
5. Cathy Tyson for Mona Lisa

Best Supporting Actor

1. Michael Caine for Hannah and Her Sisters, Mona Lisa & Sweet Liberty
2. River Phoenix for The Mosquito Coast & Stand By Me
3. Steve Buscemi for Parting Glances
4. Steve Martin for Little Shop of Horrors
5. Ray Liotta for Something Wild

Best Supporting Actress

1. Maggie Smith for A Room With a View
2. Dianne Wiest for Hannah and Her Sisters
3. Laura Dern for Blue Velvet
4. Ellen Greene for Little Shop of Horrors
5. Barbara Hershey for Hannah and Her Sisters
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

You all seem to have forgotten the greatest female performance of 1986 - Chloe Webb in Sid and Nancy.
Mack Ten
Graduate

Post by Mack Ten »

Wow...Damien and Magilla: I happen to think that despite the crap film, Fonda gives a solid performance. She, for once, disappears into her character. Usually I find her really mannered and technical, but she seems more natural here...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jane Fonda's nomination came out of nowhere. She wasn't even nominated for a Golden Globe.

The Morning After was one of the worst films ever nominated for an Oscar in any category. It was a noir bathed in sunlight, a suspense film without suspense, the killer obvious from the get-go. Lumet's only made in L.A. film is a bummer in all respects.

The race was strictly between Marlee Matlin and Kathleen Turner. Sissy Spacek was the best of the ensemble in Crimes of the Heart, but the nomination was considered enough despite her New York Film Critics Award. Sigourney Weaver
was gutsy as new kind of female hero in Aliens, but again the nomination was deemed enough.

Better than Spacek and Weaver, and certainly Fonda, IMO, were two 60s superstars proving they still had what it takes more than twenty years on. Anne Bancroft gave a virtuoso performance as Spacek's mom in the otherwise dreary 'night, Mother and Julie Andrews was unforgettable in both Duet for One and That's Life!

Bancroft had scored a nomination the year before opposite Fonda in the much better Agnes of God so her omission was not as grievous as Andrews' who committed the cardinal sin of being so good in two films that she canceled herself out.

Andrews was technically more proficient as the violinist dying of multiple schlerosis in Duet for One, for which I originally nominated her, but the film is difficult to sit through once, much less repeatedly. In retrospect I feel That's Life! is the film she should have been nominated for. It is a delightful little film with a poignant ending, a sort of Dinner at Eight in reverse in which husband Jack Lemmon is the self-absorbed vain spouse and smiling wife Andrews the one with the real problems. Filmed on a shoestring at Andrews and Blake Edwards' Malibu home, it is a far more rewarding L.A. film than Lumet and Fonda's Morning After.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

--flipp525 wrote:By almost general consensus, it seems that Jane Fonda's boozy, startled performance in The Morning Actor seems to be the odd one out. All the four other actresses nominated that year for Best Actress seem to have been rather consistently cited below. It seems interesting to note that this was Fonda's last nomination to date. Has she always been considered a fifth spot / also-ran in that race?

The Morning After is a piece of crap Sidney Lumet movie nobody cared about. Fonda is fine, although at the time -- when she was at the height of her Aerobics Personna -- everyone made fun of her for being the fittest looking alcoholic in history, and that's what reviews focused on rather than her acting.

The fifth slot should have gone to Julie Andrews in Duet For One. She also should have WON Best Actress for her amazing performance, in a year where she also did lovely work in That's Life!

Edited By Big Magilla on 1298409154
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

By almost general consensus, it seems that Jane Fonda's boozy, startled performance in The Morning Actor seems to be the odd one out. All the four other actresses nominated that year for Best Actress are rather consistently cited below. It seems interesting to note that this was Fonda's last nomination to date. Has she always been considered a fifth spot / also-ran in that race?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
the critic
Graduate

Post by the critic »

PICTURE
Blue Velvet
Hannah and Her Sisters****
Platoon
A Room with a View
Stand By Me

DIRECTOR
David Lynch - Blue Velvet****