06. Cathy Tyson, Mona Lisa

Best Director
01. Andrei Tarkovsky, The Sacrifice
02. David Lynch, Blue Velvet
03. Jim Jarmusch, Down by Law
04. David Byrne, True Stories
05. David Cronenberg, The Fly

06. Roland Joffé, The Mission
Last edited by ksrymy on Wed May 25, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

--Big Magilla wrote:and the Theme from Shaft, which won in 1972 consisted of what, Isaac Hayes repeating Shaft's name over and over?

No, it did not.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064390
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Doesn't the song play during the sex scene in which Tom Cruise licks Kelly McGillis' face?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm pretty sure the song was played all the way through at some point, but song rules have changed over the years. The Theme from The High and the Mighty, for example, which was a a 1954 nominee was whistled, not sung, by John Wayne and the Theme from Shaft, which won in 1972 consisted of what, Isaac Hayes repeating Shaft's name over and over? More recently however, Emmylou Harris' song from Brokeback Mountain was deemed ineligible because not enough of the song was heard in the film.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Okay, I have a weird question. I just watched Top Gun. Not my first choice for the evening, believe me, but after a LONG day at jury duty I didn't want to pop in something with subtitles in such an exhausted state of mind.

My question is, how was Take My Breath Away even eligible for Best Song? I could hear the main strain a couple times in the movie, but didn't hear any lyrics. It's not played over the end credits. In today's era -- when stuff is randomly disqualified for not being prominently featured enough -- I can't imagine this being remotely eligible. Were the rules different back then? Or is the song featured in the film some place and I just was out of it (a good possibility)?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Hershey is marvelous and her absence mystifies me as well. I think Dianne Wiest deserves the Oscar more because she takes an archetypal Woody Allen kamikaze woman and makes her genuinely understandable which is not an easy thing to be done. But Hershey is sexy as hell and her scenes with von Sydow (and indeed everyone) are largely one takes. Michael Caine gives one of my all-time favorite performances as Elliot, a man who is hysterically enrapt in the affair in his brain and she is a perfect match for him. You buy her reciprocal affection for him even as it's as strange to her as it is for him.

'Hannah and Her Sisters' to me is a more accidentally brilliant film. It takes some cheats near the end and has no business ending so happily. It's like musical comedy Chekhov. But where Caine & Hershey's dynamic seems to lose importance near the end, Woody Allen & Wiest's becomes sublime. The movie is a big fat happy place and it features ('Manhattan' obviously excepted) Woody Allen's greatest soundtrack. I would've picked it for Best Picture.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I completely agree, Reza. Hershey is outstanding in Hannah and Her Sisters, giving one of my favorite female supporting performances of the 80's. I love the scene when Hershey's character, Lee, meets up with Hannah (Farrow) and Holly (Wiest) for lunch. Before Holly arrives Lee and Hannah are catching up. Hannah asks about Lee's recent break-up with Frederick, unaware of course that Lee is actually carrying on an affair with her husband, Elliot (Caine). After glossing over the moment, Lee asks how "Hannah and Frederick" are by mistake and then quickly corrects herself to say Elliot. It's such a perfect moment.

Edited By flipp525 on 1213144610
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--flipp525 wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:I think Hershey was on the short list for all three films, but just missed out in all three cases.

Dianne Wiest dominated critics' awards with Hannah, makign Hershey clearly a second choice in most people's minds and her starrign role in A World Apart came in 1988 which as others have said was a year of an embarsamment of riches in the best actress race.

In watching Hannah and Her Sisters again last night, I have to wonder, again, how Barbara Hershey was not nominated for an Oscar alongside her co-stars Dianne Wiest and Michael Caine (who both won, of course). Caine is fantastic as the haplessly adorable adulterer and Wiest's neurotic bauble of a performance is endearing in her character's sort of unconfident frantic world, but I find Hershey simply divine. I always finish the film wondering again how she could not have been recognized. The break-up scene between Hershey and Max von Sydow is one of the most well-acted scenes in the entire film. And the scene of her reading the ee cummings poem quietly in bed as a secret message from her admirer is beautiful and touching.

I easily would've taken out any of the other Best Supporting Actress nominees that year (save Wiest) and put Hershey in (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in The Color of Money? I mean, what did she even do in that movie?)

The film is definitely one of the top ten films of the 1980's.

On a sidenote, why are 70 YEARS of Oscar discussion threads bunched into one unnavigable category? That doesn't make any sense and makes it impossible to find anything.

I'm so glad there is someone else who thinks Hershey should have been nominated for Hannah and Her Sisters. Yes, it is a superb performance.

She needs to get back into the Oscar race. Unfortunately there is nothing on the horizon that she is doing which could be Oscar caliber.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064357
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Big Magilla wrote:Actually it's quite easy to find Oscar Shouldabeens. Go to the bottom of the page, click on topic title in ascending order from the beginning and since numerical listings appear before alphabetical ones they pop right up in order.

That's nice to know, but I'm not just looking for Oscar Shouldabeens. Discussions of any sort were also listed under their appropriate decade (the "Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet" thread, for example). Now they're all just bunched together. It's disorganized.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064341
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--flipp525 wrote:On a sidenote, why are 70 YEARS of Oscar discussion threads bunched into one unnavigable category. That doesn't make any sense and makes it impossible to find anything.

Actually it's quite easy to find Oscar Shouldabeens. Go to the bottom of the page, click on topic title in ascending order from the beginning and since numerical listings appear before alphabetical ones they pop right up in order.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064327
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Big Magilla wrote:I think Hershey was on the short list for all three films, but just missed out in all three cases.

Dianne Wiest dominated critics' awards with Hannah, makign Hershey clearly a second choice in most people's minds and her starrign role in A World Apart came in 1988 which as others have said was a year of an embarsamment of riches in the best actress race.

In watching Hannah and Her Sisters again last night, I have to wonder, again, how Barbara Hershey was not nominated for an Oscar alongside her co-stars Dianne Wiest and Michael Caine (who both won, of course). Caine is fantastic as the haplessly adorable adulterer and Wiest's neurotic bauble of a performance is endearing in her character's sort of unconfident frantic world, but I find Hershey simply divine. I always finish the film wondering again how she could not have been recognized. The break-up scene between Hershey and Max von Sydow is one of the most well-acted scenes in the entire film. And the scene of her reading the ee cummings poem quietly in bed as a secret message from her admirer is beautiful and touching.

I easily would've taken out any of the other Best Supporting Actress nominees that year (save Wiest) and put Hershey in (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in The Color of Money? I mean, what did she even do in that movie?)

The film is definitely one of the top ten films of the 1980's.

On a sidenote, why are 70 YEARS of Oscar discussion threads bunched into one unnavigable category? That doesn't make any sense and makes it impossible to find anything.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064314

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

And let me officially state that I adored Melanie Griffith in Working Girl (which also contains one of Harrison Ford's best performances).
I adored her too although If we look back I think her performance was overrated.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Damien wrote:It's not as bad as Interiors

I love Interiors! One of my absolute favorite Geraldine Page performances. I have a slightly distant mother who's an interior decorator, though so that might have something to do with it...

On Barbara Hershey: She's a wonderful actress (even in tripe like Boxcar Bertha) but one performance that's always stayed with me (and not in a good way) was hers' in Last Summer. The character is downright despicable. I'd never seen a woman participate in a gang rape before so thanks for that, :/

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064489

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Penelope wrote:
For me the most unfortunate omission wasn't Barbara Hershey but Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham.

Amen to that. And let me officially state that I adored Melanie Griffith in Working Girl (which also contains one of Harrison Ford's best performances).

I'd like to second that, Penelope. Griffiths' performance is just wonderful. I love her "bod for sin" line. Working Girl also contains my favorite Weaver performance.

There was also quite an uproar at the time over the initial print ad for the film which highlighted Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver, while third billed Griffith in the film's title role was seen in the background of the two megastars. Whether by design or accident, this seeming insult added to her appeal and gave her supporters a rallying point for launching her Oscar campaign as an underdog.

Shades of Jennifer Hudson and the Dreamgirls campaign, it sounds like.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285064470

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”