Raiders of the Lost Ark
25%
Reds
36%

Total votes: 36

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Chariots. Reds is such a bore! Raiders holds up remarkably well. And please don't compare it to the Spiderman trash - the films have absolutely nothing in common despite both being comic book material. Atlantic City has a superb Lancaster. Pond is sentimental rubbish but Fonda is great.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'm going with Chariots of Fire. Reds is a lumbering bore, Raiders of the Lost Ark is definite fun, but not my favourite Spielberg, Atlantic City isn't as good as Guare's plays (though I like the film quite a bit) and the less said about On Golden Pond, the better.

My favourite of the year is probably Pennies from Heaven.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reds was the favorite, and far better from the others.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

To appall Damien, I'll say I liked Lumet's Prince of the City more than any of the nominees.

On Golden Pond was a horror, and, since it was actually in the running, I think of Chariots of Fire's win as disappointing but not as bad as things could have gone.

Raiders was a kick, but maybe you have to have seen it as a kid to seriously consider it for best picture. I can't advocate it any more than I can, say, the Spider Man movies (both of which I like alot, but, best picture? No way).

I was/am a huge fan of John Guare, and wanted to love Atlantic City as much as its partisans do, but I found it a bit slight -- the only thing great about it is the Lancaster performance.

Which leaves Reds. It bit off more than it could chew, went on too long, didn't achieve greatness at any point, and sometimes tried too hard for mass audience appeal (esp. in pushing the love story). But it was absorbing throughout, the "witnesses" were a joy, and ambition is sometimes praiseworthy for its own sake. I the context of another dull 80s year, I vote for Reds.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Atlantic City, narrowly over Raiders. Chariots is IMO one of the worst winners ever.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

"Raiders of the Lost Ark."

I was also born in this particular year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The year of my birth. I love both 'Altantic City' and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' almost equally. Because I can vividly remember losing my mind over the film for well over a decade and that it holds up very well, I doff my hat towards Spielberg's direction. 'Atlantic City' is more a triumph of screenwriting and acting than direction.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”