Scent of a Woman
2%
Unforgiven
47%

Total votes: 53

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Went with Unforgiven, which I've seen snippets of a while ago.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:Well, once the Criddic Awards are chosen, that's it, right? I mean, it's not like they can retroactively give 'Brokeback' the Oscar, right? So, I guess you're stuck with 'A Few Good Men'. Live with it.
God, Sabin, you've been cracking me up for years. :D

I think Unforgiven is in an entirely different sphere from all of the others.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Something like that. I mean, obviously my awards aren't as important as the real thing. So if I catch up on some movies, I might eventually change some or write up Alternate Picks or something. I have internally debated this for some time. If I see films from those years that I missed, is it wrong to alter the original slate of nominees? Or should I just keep them as is and be content with that? Even if I went back and re-drew my nominees, how many of the originals would I be willing to change?

I guess I do take this more seriously then I ought to... but it does add to the overall movie experience for me.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, once the Criddic Awards are chosen, that's it, right? I mean, it's not like they can retroactively give 'Brokeback' the Oscar, right? So, I guess you're stuck with 'A Few Good Men'. Live with it.

'Unforgiven'. Ivory and Jordan's films are excellent, but 'Unforgiven' is a perfect movie. I'm actually a little amazed that the voters picked it over the simplistic bullshit offered by Reiner and Brest.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

At the time I chose A Few Good Men, which is still an entertaining movie, but is not quite as powerful to me today as it was back then.

I think I would have chosen Unforgiven if I was choosing today. I did give Eastwood best director, however.

A River Runs Through It also deserved a mention here I thought.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

howard's end
rudam
Graduate

Post by rudam »

howard's end
nobody not even the rain has such small hands
-c.c. cummings-
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for The Crying Game, but might just as well have voted for Hoards End since my first choice, The Player, was among the missing.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The crying game
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

The Crying Game, though Howards End & Unforgiven would also be worthy winners. The other two didn't get nominations in my world.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Howards End.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Unforgiven. For my money, it's possibly the best Best Picture nominee of the entire decade.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Who would you have chosen?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”