Il Postino
No votes
Sense and Sensibility
52%

Total votes: 52

Archie Leach
Graduate

Post by Archie Leach »

Sense and Sensibility with Babe a close second. Both Apollo 13 and Braveheart make my heart sink each time I think of how they made the top five over such films as Leaving Las Vegas, Dead Man Walking and Before Sunrise. Have never gotten around to seeing Il Postino though.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Dead Man Walking, Leaving Las Vegas, Toy Story and Before Sunrise SHAME all 5 nominated films (just to name a few). God, what an awful lineup to choose from (and how fitting that the worst of the bunch actually won) but I guess I'll have to go with Sense and Sensibility.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Have to say that the day after seeing Braveheart I went into work, made myself a sword out of cardboard and spent the entire day riding my forklift, swinging my sword and yelling, "Freedom!".

I agree that without Leaving Las Vegas, Dead Man Walking, and Toy Story this list is irrelevant. But if I had to choose I would have to say Sense And Sensibility.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

one of the worst years...
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

A much better line up would have been:

Babe
Dead Man Walking
Heat
Sense and Sensibility
Toy Story

As it is, I voted for Sense and Sensibility. Having seen Braveheart recently, the battle scenes are decent, but the rest of the movie is next to putrid.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

LOL Sabin. I can't imagine busting a load over Braveheart even metaphorically speaking, but I liked it at the time. Gibson proved he could handle epic battle sequences, while maintaining a sense of the characters' relationships. Well-done, but perhaps a bit overrated at the time. Now it is a bit underrated I think.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I agree with most of the posters in this thread. The best movies, like Leaving las Vegas or Dead man Walking weren´t nominated that year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My big year. Saw 'Braveheart'. Became a cinéphile and was, for lack of a better term, gay for 'Braveheart' for the entire year. I could not believe that anybody could have seen the talking pig movie as a better piece of work, let alone a possible winner. And when Gibson's movie won, I busted a load in my pants.

The talking pig was robbed. I would have chosen by Figgis for director for the man's tenacity in getting the damn thing done.

A great year for movies. 'Before Sunrise', 'Wild Reeds', 'Se7en', 'Safe', and 'Toy Story'. 'Babe' is the only nominee that would make my list. I saw it on a plane and to my surprise wept openly by the end.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Out of these: Apollo 13.

Mine: Oliver Stone's Nixon.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rudam
Graduate

Post by rudam »

babe
nobody not even the rain has such small hands
-c.c. cummings-
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote:One of the worst nominee/available nominee ratios ever.
Sure is. There were some masterpieces that year, some from mainstream Hollywood at that, but the Academy missed the boat completely.

I actually voted for Apollo 13. I know it's a bad lineup when I'm voting for the Ron Howard film.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I voted for Sense and Sensibility, but only because Leaving Las Vegas, seven, Nixon, Heat and To Die For weren't on the list. One of the worst nominee/available nominee ratios ever.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sense and Sensibility is the only one of the five that even deserves to be nominated. The non-nominated Dead Man Walking should have won.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sense and Sensibility. None of the rest are close in my book.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Babe.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”