Cat's Play

1927/28 through 1997
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I picked up a copy on the second hand market in Australia for about $7.78 US.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Did you have to rent Cats' Play from Facets too? Or is this film available somehow else in the US?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Movielover wrote:Anyone here see Cats' Play? I saw this film last night and don't quite understand why it was nominated for a Foreign Language Film Oscar during this decade.
I saw it for the first time early last month and didn't care for it.

That style of fimmaking (dreamy, soft focus, fragmented storytelling) was popular during the 70's, particularly from Eastern Europe.

Maybe the Academy felt they needed to nominate a Karoly Makk film. Afterall his early film 'Love' was highly regarded (I haven't seen it but it's around on DVD).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Anyone here see Cats' Play? I saw this film last night and don't quite understand why it was nominated for a Foreign Language Film Oscar during this decade.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”