Best "best supporting actress" of the decade

1927/28 through 1997

Best "best supporting actress" of the decade

Geena Davis, "The Accidental Tourist" (1988)
1%
Brenda Fricker, "My Left Foot" (1989)
6%
Whoopi Goldberg, "Ghost" (1990)
10%
Mercedes Ruehl, "The Fisher King" (1991)
9%
Marisa Tomei, "My Cousin Vinny" (1992)
No votes
Anna Paquin, "The Piano" (1993)
20%
Dianne Wiest, "Bullets Over Braodway" (1994)
33%
Mira Sorvino, "Mighty Aphrodite" (1995)
4%
Juliette Binoche, "The English Patient" (1996)
14%
Kim Basinger, "L.A. Confidential" (1997)
3%

Total votes: 70

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Dianne Wiest's performance gets better every time you see it. "Don't speak!" Paquin also deserved all the accolades she received. And her acceptance speech was a wonderful Oscar moment. Whoppi, Marisa, Merdcedes and Mira were all hilarious. My personal favorite here though is Geena Davis' surprise win for The Accidental Tourist (that one little vote is mine!). Her Muriel was a perfect translation of the character from Anne Tyler's novel and she truly made it her own with aplomb, including that fantastic closing scene. William Hurt's Macon Leary deserved to be nominated that year also.

Edited By flipp525 on 1169231480
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm completely torn between Paquin and Wiest. Both performances feels irreplaceable and I can see them in their entirety in my head right now. Paquin's is probably the rarer, so she gets my vote.

I saw Mighty Aphrodite again and didn't laugh as hard as I would've liked. It's a pretty one-note performance, even if it's easily the strongest factor in the film (save one line: "Who do you think's the boss? I'm the boss. Mommy's just the decision-maker."). I still feel bad for Joan Allen. And Mare Winningham, actually. Hard to feel bad for 20-year old Kate Winslet, but she was better too.
"How's the despair?"
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

i voted for Sorvino... i find her funny as hell in that Woody Allen film... whatever happened to her nowadays? was gonna say the same thing to Tomei but last i checked, Tomei had at least rebounded with her In The Bedroom nomination... seriously looking forward to Sorvino's comeback performance now...

i also like Wiest in the other Woody Allen film as well... her voiceover work in Robots still rings a bell in my mind...

and granted, Basinger only had to look glamorous in L.A. Confidential but at least it was a very far cry from her annoying turn in Batman... her screams for help really pierced through my ears...
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I actually thought Pacquin was really good in the role. Pretty weak decade, but I'd go for Wiest or Fricker.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Wiest and Fricker. The last one is remarkable.
Mack Ten
Graduate

Post by Mack Ten »

Mercedes...
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

I can't remember anything special about Davis, Fricker, or Ruehl.

Binoche was perfection, but Wiest gave one of the best female performances of the decade, supporting or lead.
rudam
Graduate

Post by rudam »

whoopi goldberg with thebest performance in the worst film of the decade

and ana paquin is second in one of the best films of the decade
nobody not even the rain has such small hands
-c.c. cummings-
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Wow, what a worthless decade. So many inexceptional performances, so little time.

Although I admire the subtlety of Anna Paquin and Juliette Binoche, I'd have to side with the only singular tour de force of the lot, Dianne Wiest.
"How's the despair?"
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Which of these Best Supporting Actress winners is the best?
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”